690 (M49, V 35) what's the road ahead?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

690 (M49, V 35) what's the road ahead?

by dream700 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 am
Hi Experts,

I took GMAT yesterday and scored a 690 (M 49, V 35). Following is my brief profile and later I have posted my queries. Please help me in this regard.

Education:
B.Tech. (NIT, Surathkal, India) GPA of 3.7

Work ex:
4 years (as of now) in CSC as an SAP-ABAP consultant
[No international exposure]

Extra-curricular:
- basic proficiency in German (A1)
- associated with an NGO for past 2 years

GMAT score:
Overall : 690 (88 %le)
Maths : 49 (86 %le)
Vrbal : 35 ( 73 %le)

My queries now:
1. Do I stand any chance for ISB?
2. how about HEC, Paris? (no international exposure though)
3. What all good US univ I can apply to? (say in top 20 onwards to top 40)
4. Apart from US, what good univ around the world I stand a chance of?

Regards,
Shaheen

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by dream700 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:39 am
Fellow Forum members, Experts,

plz guide me with the prospects....

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:22 am
Hello Shaheen,

As I am sure you know, you will be in a very competitive pool when applying to business school. Your GPA is strong, and your GMAT is acceptable, but your work experience is light, especially due to your lack of international exposure. My experience with ISB says that you would be a long shot for that school. Their GMAT average is over 700 and their average applicant has five years work experience. ISB has proven very difficult to get into the last few years. If, however, it is your dream school, by all means apply, but be very sure that you have outstanding recommendations and the best possible essays.

In the US, your background would put you in the range of schools just below the top twenty. As always, those schools are very competitive and there are no guarantees, but you certainly would be qualified. In deciding where to apply, think about your career goals and see which have curricula that will serve you well. Many fine mid-western universities have fewer international students and that would put you in a smaller applicant pool. You could look for one that has strong international ties, such as Washington University in St. Louis.

HEC is a good alternative. You would have a stronger GMAT than most applicants, although your lack of international experience could hurt. What about a German university? Your ability to speak German would set you apart from other South Asian applicants and your GMAT score would look very good. Also, the German schools would be extremely familiar with SAP and that might ensure better long-term career options.

For international rankings, selectivity and score information your best resources are the London Financial Times and topmba.com. Both of those could give you ideas about schools that would meet your career needs.

Best of luck,
Tani Wolff