690, 3.5 years exp

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

690, 3.5 years exp

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 am
Hi,

I have used beatthegmat as the only forum for my test prep. I have taken GMAT and its time to evaluate my profile.

GMAT-690
Q-51
V-31
AWA - awaiting

My first reaction on my score: I was really shattered to see 690, as I expected 720+

How much it really matter from 690 to 720?

Profile:

1. Exp: Information technology - 3.5 years to date.
Designation - Software Developer, have worked with variety of firms - startup, mid-sized and large size

2. Education: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India
[Among top 5 technical institutes of India]
CGPA - 7.5[on 10 point scale], I don't know how it will get converted on 4 point scale, as my college doesn't provide any criteria.

Please let me know that how important is graduation school in GMAT as Indian Institute of Technologies have very good brand name word wide. Will it help in my application?

12th: 71 percent[State board]
10th: 74 percent[State board]

Though these percentages may look average, in my state board its on a very higher side. I don't know how this will be judged.

3. Fund raising ambassador for a small school of Deaf and Dumb for last 5 years. And hold high Management position in an NGO for last 1.5 years.

4. I was involved in a Network marketing business related to Computer education [www.ebizel.com] and grew my downline to over 900 people. I did it for 1 year during my graduation and then left it because of busy life in job.

PLZ LET ME KNOW IF THIS NETWORK MARKETING BUSINESS CAN REALLY HELP ME.

5. Hostel Cultural Secy. of my graduation College [I don't think this will really help me and will not write it in application... plz suggest what to do]

6. Don't have many extra curricular activities to show. Have participated in just 3-4 small activities at institute level.

Plz evaluate.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:42 am
Hi Vaibhav,

Being an Indian admissions consulting venture (see the signature), we can understand the dilemma you face.

However, there is a LOT of information that is primarily missing from your question:

1. What schools are you targeting?
2. Why do you want to do an MBA?
3. What kind of core courses are you looking at?
4. Targeting only US Schools or European/Asian as well?
5. Is an MBA the only option you are looking for.

I have an opinion regarding your competency, but would rather wait for the answers to the above before finally projecting it.

Alternatively, if you wish, you can write in to us directly at the address mentioned below.

Best,
Ankit
Founder - AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:12 am
Thanks for reply. Plz find answers inline.
AppReview wrote:Hi Vaibhav,

Being an Indian admissions consulting venture (see the signature), we can understand the dilemma you face.

However, there is a LOT of information that is primarily missing from your question:

1. What schools are you targeting?
I am looking ONLY for Europe universities as I have preference for 1-1.5 yr MBA.
Schools:
ISB, India
Oxford
IMD
INSEAD
HEC PAris
Cambridge
LBS

I need to select a few among these ones.

2. Why do you want to do an MBA?
I am not looking to make industry change using MBA degree. Rather I want to excel in my industry i.e. IT and want to hold responsible position in my industry which is related more to business than to just developing a product without proper knowledge of "Why we need something".
3. What kind of core courses are you looking at?
As stated I'll focus on courses in IT/IT consulting.
4. Targeting only US Schools or European/Asian as well?
Only European univ. + ISB, India
5. Is an MBA the only option you are looking for.
I am sorry but didn't get this question. What other options u are considering. I am looking for a full time management.

I have an opinion regarding your competency, but would rather wait for the answers to the above before finally projecting it.

Alternatively, if you wish, you can write in to us directly at the address mentioned below.

Best,
Ankit
Founder - AppReview
Query: As there is huge imbalance between my Quant and Verbal score, will univ. such as Oxford, LBS, Cambridge have any problem?
As I am looking for IT courses and not marketing etc., will they consider my strong Quant score and ready to compensate with Verbal score?

Thanks again.
Eagerly awaiting your reply.