680 in Gmat; chances of getting into ISB?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
This is Sumit here from India. I took Gmat this month and scored a average 680.
Here's my profile:
10th board-93%(second topper in school)
12th board-85%(third topper in class)
B Tech(Metallurgical engr)-7.9 out of 10(under top 6)

Work ex-4 years in operations at Vedanta Aluminium limited(aluminium manufacturing company)
Role- Shift In charge overseeing a team of 6.
Extra curricular- Badminton player,sketching, Team leader Quality circle,part of sports committee.
Accolades- Won best employee

Looking for MBA in operational mgmt.
I wish to join ISB, Hyderabad

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:10 pm
Your undergraduate performance is quite good and you have some nice extra-curriculars. What types of leadership roles have you taken in those? Also, how has your salary progression been at work? It seems like you are out performing your peers, is that backed up by salary increase % each year?

Should I assume you are not considering re-taking the GMAT and will instead focus efforts between now and the deadlines on putting together a powerful application? In that case, the GMAT will hurt you somewhat, but your good grades in undergraduate will mitigate that to some extent.

You have a pretty good shot at ISB if you craft your stories in the right way. For instance, what do you want to do after B school?

I'd be happy to talk through this in more detail with you or answer any other questions. Are you looking more broadly than ISB? I recommend applying to a few schools to ensure you have success, but its something we can chat about if you would find it useful. Good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Sumit Kumar » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:28 am
Since the deadline for application submission for ISB is 30th nov so I m currently not in favour of re-taking GMAT and instead look to urge through a more strong application. I will appreciate valuable inputs from your side.
Yup I can look beyond ISB but as an Indian I would love to study in my country, anyways plz free to suggest me.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:28 am
Have you thought about any of the IIM schools, Calcutta or Lucknow for instance? You could also look at IIT SJMSM or IIT Delhi. I realize these take you outside of Hyderabad so if geography is a deciding factor, perhaps that is why you haven't mentioned them.

If you would like any more specific advice or guidance along the way, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:49 pm
Sumit Kumar wrote:Hi,
This is Sumit here from India. I took Gmat this month and scored a average 680.
Here's my profile:
10th board-93%(second topper in school)
12th board-85%(third topper in class)
B Tech(Metallurgical engr)-7.9 out of 10(under top 6)

Work ex-4 years in operations at Vedanta Aluminium limited(aluminium manufacturing company)
Role- Shift In charge overseeing a team of 6.
Extra curricular- Badminton player,sketching, Team leader Quality circle,part of sports committee.
Accolades- Won best employee

Looking for MBA in operational mgmt.
I wish to join ISB, Hyderabad
Hello Sumit

Overall you have a decent profile. Your GPA is fine although slightly below average. A 720 GMAT would have been excellent. What is your quant score? If you have a quant score of 50, 51 it would be safe to apply this year.

Your work ex and ECs show that you have decent leadership experience. Any promotions? What kind of projects have you worked on and how have they fared? Any other awards?

Are you planning to apply to schools other than ISB? You can check out this article to know more about top schools offering a specialization in operations management. https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-mb ... management

Do get back to me
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School