670/690/720 in practice tests and 580 on the real thing

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720
Just gave my gmat, got a 580 Q29,V41 and obviously it was heartbreaking....shattered my confidence. I've been studying hard for over 3 months with my focus on Quant, as I have always had a mental block for math. I took 1:1 math classes, finished OG12 twice apart from doing other questions which I collected from different forums on all the topics.

On all my practice tests I was ranging from 670 to 720 (list of tests and scores at the end) with my quant score never dropping below 38.

I was VERY calm, kept myself very relaxed and did not for a single second think that my test was going so bad that I would end up getting a 580.

I plan to retake the exam in the around 30 days. I want to ensure I follow a very focused approach. My problem area has been data sufficiency and I want to make sure this time around I do beat the gmat.

Any suggestions/advice will be SUPER helpful.

Thanks....

--------------------
MGMAT1- 610
MGMAT2 - 670
Gmatprep 1 - 690
Gmatprep 2 - 680
Gmatprep 1 (reinstalled) - 690
Gmat prep2 (reinstalled)- 720

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:25 am
saloniarora wrote:Just gave my gmat, got a 580 Q29,V41 and obviously it was heartbreaking....shattered my confidence. I've been studying hard for over 3 months with my focus on Quant, as I have always had a mental block for math. I took 1:1 math classes, finished OG12 twice apart from doing other questions which I collected from different forums on all the topics.

On all my practice tests I was ranging from 670 to 720 (list of tests and scores at the end) with my quant score never dropping below 38.

I was VERY calm, kept myself very relaxed and did not for a single second think that my test was going so bad that I would end up getting a 580.

I plan to retake the exam in the around 30 days. I want to ensure I follow a very focused approach. My problem area has been data sufficiency and I want to make sure this time around I do beat the gmat.

Any suggestions/advice will be SUPER helpful.

Thanks....

--------------------
MGMAT1- 610
MGMAT2 - 670
Gmatprep 1 - 690
Gmatprep 2 - 680
Gmatprep 1 (reinstalled) - 690
Gmat prep2 (reinstalled)- 720
This is huge drop from your predicted scores as per GMATPREPs. Was there anything different on today's test compared to the GMATPREPs? Did you finish the quant section ahead of time, on time, guess a few questions at the end?
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

by saloniarora » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:00 pm
Nothing very different. I have never been able to get my timing perfect on quant. Always had to rush through the last 3-4 questions (even on the tests on which I scored 680/690) Today I guessed on the last 3 questions. Therefore, I didn't at all think that my score will drop that much.

I found the test to be very similar to the gmatpreps I had given at home, so the huge drop has just left me a little lost.

For the next one month, can you suggest specific books/online courses that I can take? My basics aren't the problem anymore, so I don't think I need something too detailed.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm
saloniarora wrote:Nothing very different. I have never been able to get my timing perfect on quant. Always had to rush through the last 3-4 questions (even on the tests on which I scored 680/690) Today I guessed on the last 3 questions. Therefore, I didn't at all think that my score will drop that much.

I found the test to be very similar to the gmatpreps I had given at home, so the huge drop has just left me a little lost.

For the next one month, can you suggest specific books/online courses that I can take? My basics aren't the problem anymore, so I don't think I need something too detailed.
Well, i am a little biased here :) You're welcome to try master gmat for a week's free trial to see if it's something you may want to try. Focus on quant - your verbal skills are fine.

I agree that you don't need anything too elaborate - it sounds like you just had a really bad day, and didn't even feel it. But that is why an adaptive program such as ours may be just the thing - focus on your weaker areas, breeze through your strengths. I daresay we can do something about that timing issue too.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ronaldramlan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:37 pm
Did you do the essays before going to Quant section on your practice tests?

by saloniarora » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 pm
ronaldramlan wrote:Did you do the essays before going to Quant section on your practice tests?
Yep, I did.

by ronaldramlan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:34 am
You are already doing your practice tests correctly. Keep doing so...
saloniarora wrote:My basics aren't the problem anymore, so I don't think I need something too detailed.
I don't quite agree that you have no problem with basic maths. The fact that you scored 29 on your Quant suggests that you missed a number of medium and easy level questions, at least according to the GMAT's level of difficulty, which is probably different from yours. So, you need to fix the basics.
saloniarora wrote:I have never been able to get my timing perfect on quant. Always had to rush through the last 3-4 questions (even on the tests on which I scored 680/690) Today I guessed on the last 3 questions. Therefore, I didn't at all think that my score will drop that much.
This argument is also problematic, especially since you are good at Verbal. I believe that you understand that simply because you guessed correctly before and got your score okay during your practice tests, it does not mean that you deserve the same result on the real test. This is some sort of logical fallacy on CR, if I still remember correctly. The result of your guess on your practice tests has absolutely no bearing on that on your real test. Guessing is like gambling, one day you win, the next day you lose.

You definitely need to practice your timing on Quant. I'm not sure on what was holding you back from finishing each question in 2 mins, but you need to be able to identify the types of questions that drained most of your time and start addressing those questions more efficiently.

by Nidhi4mba » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:12 am
Saloni,
I sympathize with you but a similar thing happened with me too. I took my exam on 20th September & got a score of 670 ( 49 Q & 31 V) and I was expecting the score to be in the range of 720+ as I was constantly getting 730+ in GMAT Preps and MGMATs. I even scored 770 in MGMAT with a perfect 51 in Q. I was finding the exam to be very easy and i was excited to finish the test so that i can get to see a good score. I completed Quant & verbal sections in around 68 & 66 minutes respectively. But on seeing the score, i got totally shattered. And the bad part is that I am not even able to judge my weak areas as I was doing pretty well & quite similar in all the areas earlier. my verbal score was atleast 8-9 points behind my expected one & even in Quant, I should have scored atleast a 50. I was thinking of putting all the applications in the 1st round & also to go for the Early Bird of Duke.. But now i feel very depressed. I've already taken another date but just can't back to studies now. Don't know what my strategy should be now.

Any suggestions would be helpful..

by saloniarora » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 am
ronaldramlan wrote:You are already doing your practice tests correctly. Keep doing so...
saloniarora wrote:My basics aren't the problem anymore, so I don't think I need something too detailed.
I don't quite agree that you have no problem with basic maths. The fact that you scored 29 on your Quant suggests that you missed a number of medium and easy level questions, at least according to the GMAT's level of difficulty, which is probably different from yours. So, you need to fix the basics.
saloniarora wrote:I have never been able to get my timing perfect on quant. Always had to rush through the last 3-4 questions (even on the tests on which I scored 680/690) Today I guessed on the last 3 questions. Therefore, I didn't at all think that my score will drop that much.
This argument is also problematic, especially since you are good at Verbal. I believe that you understand that simply because you guessed correctly before and got your score okay during your practice tests, it does not mean that you deserve the same result on the real test. This is some sort of logical fallacy on CR, if I still remember correctly. The result of your guess on your practice tests has absolutely no bearing on that on your real test. Guessing is like gambling, one day you win, the next day you lose.

You definitely need to practice your timing on Quant. I'm not sure on what was holding you back from finishing each question in 2 mins, but you need to be able to identify the types of questions that drained most of your time and start addressing those questions more efficiently.

Thanks for the sharing your thoughts Ronald!

I wouldn't say that the only reason I got 670+ on my tests was because I got lucky. I might still need to work on my basics but wouldn't say I completely lack them.

Regarding timing, I agree, I definitely do need to work on it.

I want to apply in this year's cycle, so I plan to retake the gmat sometime in October. Do you have any suggestions regarding the strategy I should follow for the next 30 days or so? The problem I am currently facing is that I have not been able to identify any specific areas that I need to work with - so it's all a little vague. Any specific books/strategy you can suggest will be SUPER helpful.

by saloniarora » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 am
Nidhi4mba wrote:Saloni,
I sympathize with you but a similar thing happened with me too. I took my exam on 20th September & got a score of 670 ( 49 Q & 31 V) and I was expecting the score to be in the range of 720+ as I was constantly getting 730+ in GMAT Preps and MGMATs. I even scored 770 in MGMAT with a perfect 51 in Q. I was finding the exam to be very easy and i was excited to finish the test so that i can get to see a good score. I completed Quant & verbal sections in around 68 & 66 minutes respectively. But on seeing the score, i got totally shattered. And the bad part is that I am not even able to judge my weak areas as I was doing pretty well & quite similar in all the areas earlier. my verbal score was atleast 8-9 points behind my expected one & even in Quant, I should have scored atleast a 50. I was thinking of putting all the applications in the 1st round & also to go for the Early Bird of Duke.. But now i feel very depressed. I've already taken another date but just can't back to studies now. Don't know what my strategy should be now.

Sorry to hear your gmat didn't go as planned :(

Your practice scores are amazing, so I can imagine how disappointing it would have been for you to look at that final score report.

What date have you taken for your retake? Also, just a suggestion but don't try and push yourself to study right now. You JUST gave your gmat - take a break...I am sure the last few months have been crazy with prep....give yourself a breather and start with a fresh mind.

For your verbal section - did you have any specific problem areas? Do you feel you went through the section a little fast in the real gmat or were you able to finish well before time even during your practice tests?

Any suggestions you can give me regarding quant will be great! As I mentioned in my reply above, I plan to retake the exam in october, so I can meet this year's deadlines. I want to follow a very specific strategy to ensure I don't end up in the same boat again.

Thanks!

by ronaldramlan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:33 am
Sure, you do hold the ground to some extent. My advice on practicing the Quant is make sure you cover the basics perfectly. Don't waste your time by attempting to solve super hard questions. Too many people, including me, are so eager to improve their math skills by tackling super hard, if not the most difficult, math questions. Don't follow them.
saloniarora wrote: Regarding timing, I agree, I definitely do need to work on it.

I want to apply in this year's cycle, so I plan to retake the gmat sometime in October. Do you have any suggestions regarding the strategy I should follow for the next 30 days or so? The problem I am currently facing is that I have not been able to identify any specific areas that I need to work with - so it's all a little vague. Any specific books/strategy you can suggest will be SUPER helpful.
It is already a good step that you recognize one of your weaknesses. GMAT is about answering the questions correctly in time. If you are having a hard time, finding any specific weak areas on the Quant section, why don't you start with the type of questions that takes most of your time?

Which one of PS and DS did you usually spend most of your time? Remember, only when you have identified your weaknesses, can you develop an appropriate strategy. It is almost impossible for me to advise how you should practice other than take the OG and supplemental Math from GMAC when I know nothing of your weak areas. At least, you should be able to tell whether PS or DS is your pain.

As far as study materials are concerned, I think that any resources from leading prep courses such as MGMAT, Knewton and Veritas are adequate to equip you with all the concepts and strategy you need to possess on test day. I also find the following free study session (Thursday with Ron) helpful. You may want to give it a look.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

by Nidhi4mba » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:08 am
saloniarora wrote:

Sorry to hear your gmat didn't go as planned :(

Your practice scores are amazing, so I can imagine how disappointing it would have been for you to look at that final score report.

What date have you taken for your retake? Also, just a suggestion but don't try and push yourself to study right now. You JUST gave your gmat - take a break...I am sure the last few months have been crazy with prep....give yourself a breather and start with a fresh mind.

For your verbal section - did you have any specific problem areas? Do you feel you went through the section a little fast in the real gmat or were you able to finish well before time even during your practice tests?

Any suggestions you can give me regarding quant will be great! As I mentioned in my reply above, I plan to retake the exam in october, so I can meet this year's deadlines. I want to follow a very specific strategy to ensure I don't end up in the same boat again.

Thanks!
You're right. I am not going to push myself now for the studies.. I am not going to study any new thing but will only brush up the skills that i acquired earlier. I was completing the paper in less time in the practise tests as well.
For Maths, just concentrate on Basics & do more practise for Numbers & Inequlaities. These are the topics from which a lot of Questions appear in the real GMAT.

Keep in touch & you can ask for any help in Quant, if needed, as I feel I am good at that.

by ronaldramlan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:04 am

I hope that you don't mind that I step in. First, I understand your frustration as I was in your shoes. I took the bloody tests twice and ended up with 660.
Second, your case is different from that of saloniarora since you seem to be comfortable with Quant. Verbal, on the other hand, is what you need to work on.

Before I go any further, I'm going to have to ask you the same question I did to saloniarora. Did you do the essays during your practice tests (GMATPrep and MGMAT)?

by Nidhi4mba » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:12 pm
ronaldramlan wrote:

I hope that you don't mind that I step in. First, I understand your frustration as I was in your shoes. I took the bloody tests twice and ended up with 660.
Second, your case is different from that of saloniarora since you seem to be comfortable with Quant. Verbal, on the other hand, is what you need to work on.

Before I go any further, I'm going to have to ask you the same question I did to saloniarora. Did you do the essays during your practice tests (GMATPrep and MGMAT)?
Ronald, I really appreciate that you are trying to help me here. Yes, i did two practise tests with the essays. And to tell you more, i really never felt exhausted or any such thing during the actual exam. So, i won't say that I could not concentrate. As I told you earlier, I completed both Quant & Verbal is less time than the assigned one. So, there is no question of lack of concentration or of any anxiety. I got around 16-17 or even more SC Qs.This is where i feel i must have done st wrong. I kept looking for the Grammer primarily, so may be I missed the Clarity part. This is actually what happens with me whenever i do the SC. I just start looking for the Grammer part & sometimes i dont even know the meaning of the actual sentence & I arrive to a answer choice. Some people are saying that GMAT will be concentrating more on Clarity & less on Idioms and Grammer now. I dont know for sure but I feel this new pattern is already there in the actual GMATs.So, I am concentraing more & more on SC Clarity now. Passages were quite easy than the ones i was practising before the actual GMAT. CR was not tough either. I won't say that SC was tough. The sentences where GMAT underlines the whole sentence ( the ones which are considered tough) were not there. Most of the sentences have only 3-7 words underlined. But I clearly have bothched up the SC part. This is what i feel. ANyways, what would you suggest Ronald. I quite liked your advice to Saloni. So, I'm really looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance !!!!!

by ronaldramlan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:56 am
Nidhi4mba wrote: Ronald, I really appreciate that you are trying to help me here. Yes, i did two practise tests with the essays. And to tell you more, i really never felt exhausted or any such thing during the actual exam. So, i won't say that I could not concentrate. As I told you earlier, I completed both Quant & Verbal is less time than the assigned one. So, there is no question of lack of concentration or of any anxiety. I got around 16-17 or even more SC Qs.This is where i feel i must have done st wrong. I kept looking for the Grammer primarily, so may be I missed the Clarity part. This is actually what happens with me whenever i do the SC. I just start looking for the Grammer part & sometimes i dont even know the meaning of the actual sentence & I arrive to a answer choice. Some people are saying that GMAT will be concentrating more on Clarity & less on Idioms and Grammer now. I dont know for sure but I feel this new pattern is already there in the actual GMATs.So, I am concentraing more & more on SC Clarity now. Passages were quite easy than the ones i was practising before the actual GMAT. CR was not tough either. I won't say that SC was tough. The sentences where GMAT underlines the whole sentence ( the ones which are considered tough) were not there. Most of the sentences have only 3-7 words underlined. But I clearly have bothched up the SC part. This is what i feel. ANyways, what would you suggest Ronald. I quite liked your advice to Saloni. So, I'm really looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance !!!!!
If you haven't read the following post, you may do so. I did share my story and strategy to tackle the test.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-660-qua ... tml#398833

You'll see that I quite struggled on my GMAT experience before getting a decent score. There were things I wish I had known earlier, and I want other test takers to be able to get the score they wish faster than I did. That's why I'm happy to help.

You might find that your case is actually quite similar to mine, in that Verbal is your area of improvement. You have done a good job identifying a specific area of the Verbal that you find yourself struggling with.

My first piece of advice is, you can use any materials available to hone your concepts and strategy, but practice only from OG and GMATPrep. This is important at least because none of the simulation tests available in the market get any closer to the real tests. So, you need to get yourself used to the style of questions from the real tests.

You are right that the SC on the real test contains errors not easily spotted merely by one strategy. I mean, grammar is a good start, but there are at least six ways you can attack an SC question. For example, you can attack an SC question when you identify a pronoun in that sentence. Every time you see a pronoun, you need to quickly look for the antecedent. However, pronoun may not be an error simply because all the answer choice contains the same pronoun. This way, you know that pronoun is not being tested, and can move on to other probable areas. Modifier would be a more useful way to attack an SC questions than grammar. For instance, can you tell the correct and spot the incorrect use of all types of modifier (adjective, participial phrase, prepositional phrase, relative pronoun and appositive)?
Those are just two of the many ways attacking SC questions, btw.

One thing mentioned in my link post but so important that I need to state again is, you need not only to be able to tell why correct answer choice is correct, but also more importantly to be able to say why incorrect answer choices are incorrect. So long as you cannot tell why the other four answer choices are incorrect, you can never be certain that the one you choose is correct. I know that doing so will likely take more of your time, but that's why you need to practice. Unless you have done so, next time you practice with the OG questions, try to spot why the wrong answers are wrong. This ability is not only restricted to SC but is relevant to any types of Verbal questions.

One pitfall that you need to avoid, although I'm not sure whether you can, is overusing the OG and GMATPrep.