670 (47/35) ..disappointed to say the least .. retake ?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All

Here is my experience of the GMAT that I took on the 28th of July. I had decided about 3 months ago that I would be taking the GMAT. I just asked a few friends how to go about it and begun. I also used Brent Hanneson's 60 day guide. It ensured that i dint leave out any topics and was a good refresher.

Quant :

I have been appearing for Indian Mba exams so was ok in quant. I used manhattan guides and Og

Verbal :

Was not so good at first but used Aristotle and powerscore bibles for sc and also used manhattan for CR and did all questions from OG

As for practice tests :
GMAT PREP 1 : 650 (1st time without prep)
MGMAT 1 : 680 ( 1 month prep)
MGMAT 2 : 700
MGMAT 3 : 720
MGMAT 4 : 700
MGMAT 5 :740
MGMAT 6 : 720
GMAT PREP 1 : 710
GMAT Prep 2 : 710

In other words i hit my personal worst on the day it mattered the most and am really disgusted with my performance.

I am targeting Asian Bschools like ISB, NUS ,NTU,HKUST , AIM etc and have around 3 years of workex in Manufacturing sector.

Should I go for a retake,as i dont feel that the score does justice with my abilities and preparation or should i apply with the same score.
Also how should i analyse what went wrong on the test day (i know i dint get good sleep), but other than that i was fairly relaxed and finished both sections on time. I just dont want to leave anything to chance if i retake the gmat. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by kg » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 pm
hey rusty, i am on the same boat, had got 720,710, 740,770 on manhatten cats and 700 and 730 on prep finally got 680(q-49, v-34) lower than any of my practice tests. I also couldn't sleep very well before exam and i am not a morning person but gave exam at 9 and probably that can be one of the reasons for the screw up on test day.

I also gave it this week and thinking of what should i do next. I have total 8 yrs experience and currently working in management consulting firm .

I am not very confident of applying with a poor score , i have similar schools in mind- isb, nus, oxford said, MIT supply chain 1 yr..

my biggest issue is i am not able to devote sufficient time for prep, my working hours sometimes are as late as 14-15 hrs..

couple of things which come to my mind should be done to improve score
1. Join some good test prep academy
2. do more practice tests
3. solve OG 2-3 times and ensure that go through forums to get multiple view points on sc, cr
4. for quant, do more practice ..

not sure which one i will adopt..