670 (44Q,38V) - need suggestions please

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:670

670 (44Q,38V) - need suggestions please

by millhouse » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:15 am
Hi everyone,

Today I took the gmat and got a 670(44Q,38V). I was content to see my score but of course we all dream of cracking that sacred 700 mark and I'm considering redoing this test.

I would like to know what you guys would suggest considering my prep below.

My prep
princeton review cracking the gmat - learnt the basics
og 11 - apply the basics and realized my weaknesses were DS, RC, SC and more SC.

gmat prep 1- 530 i didnt take it seriously/distractions etc. but I still was alarmed.

manhat sc - awesome book that i downloaded for free and that really helped me improve my sc. But the edition i have references og 10th ed(which i also downloaded). I was wondering if the newer edition of manhat sc is much better?

Reviewed and redid all my mistakes from og 11th.

redid prep 1 690

gmat prep 2 660 (46,35), noticed rc is my weakness, and that if i take my time i can rectify this weakness.

At this point I started thinking, maybe I can do this thing, and with a little luck and lots of effort I can be one those guys who beats the gmat.

I got very sick about 2 weeks before my test. It lasted about a week and I thought id be able to make use of some stay at home study time, but my marks plummeted and i started freaking out. during that time I got 580 on a free cat from princeton review. and i cant remember but around 600 on a free manhat cat. still freaking out with 7 days till the test.

I bought manhat cats 37 bucks or so(thanks btg 10% discount). did 1 a day for 3 days usu. 650ish scores, reviewed at night. took a day rest. then just re-reviewed a few of the harder problems i encountered from og 11th. and read how to write an AWA, did 1 example.

Night before the test I couldnt sleep at all.

I was exhausted day of the test but I wasnt gonna let that screw me up so i just pushed my way through it. AWA went smoothly. ill let you guys know when i get my marks.

Quant- seemed a lot harder than what i expected. I was going in thinking this is the section in which maybe I can improve to that 700 level. Some of these problems seemed straight up crazy to me. I guessed many of them and which gave me some extra time to spend on solvable ones which still seemed crazy. I wasnt thnking im getting hard problems so im doing well because they seemed to be always followed by an easy problem. I felt like i was blowing it. I finished the section thinking that was hard, im likely at a 600-630 level.

Verbal-Went in thinking i have to tear this up to make up for my quant. It was always a strange thing for me. I usually get the same percentile as in quant but am always much less confident in my answers. Turns out I did well on this part on test day. which probably saved my ass from the bad quant showing i had.

got my score 670, 44Q, 38V, 85th, 70th, 83rd percentile respectively.

Before this entire process began I knew my strength would be quant so i didn’t focus on it but I didn’t neglect it either. My weakness was verbal and I had to improve a lot which I think I did by the end of my studying. Im a chemistry major from a crapy university, transferred in to chem from engineering. Always thought the quant should come easy to me. After studying the sc guide, looking at my mistakes ive improved a lot in verbal.

How can I improve in quant? any suggestions on material?
i heard about some gmat club stuff. What do you guys think is best for me?

Any tips, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
millhouse

by millhouse » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 pm
i got my awa score back 6.0.

Still would like to here some suggestions on how to improve my quant to that next level. please some feed back would be appreciated.

Followed by:1 members

by bobular » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:05 am
I did 100 math problems a day for like a week. 1st algebra, 2nd geometry, just from my middle school and 9th grade math books that I had. I moved up from a 34 quant on practice to a 48 quant on the actual GMAT. My score on practice improved gradually from 34 to like 44 during all my practice tests.

on a side note, how the heck did you get your AWA so fast? i took my test on 23rd, and I havent heard from GMAT people yet.

by millhouse » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 pm
bobular wrote:I did 100 math problems a day for like a week. 1st algebra, 2nd geometry, just from my middle school and 9th grade math books that I had. I moved up from a 34 quant on practice to a 48 quant on the actual GMAT. My score on practice improved gradually from 34 to like 44 during all my practice tests.

on a side note, how the heck did you get your AWA so fast? i took my test on 23rd, and I havent heard from GMAT people yet.
thanks for the advice bob.
my dates of posts arent accurate. took about a week to get an email saying my scores were up online.