660 -> 710 in 45 Days!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

660 -> 710 in 45 Days!

by injotb123 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:27 am
Hello guys

Although I am not so regular on the forums, I have been a silent observer of recommendations and best ways to get a great score.

About 45 days back , I scored a 660 (Q48, V33) with 6/6 on AWA and a 5 on IR . I wasn't devastated but I knew I am someone who deserves a better score.

After the first performance , Phase II of preparation:

I strictly started focusing on my weak points: CR and RC. I had so much confidence on my sentence correction that I actually got used to spending more than the usual time on CR and RC questions because I knew I would save time on SC Questions. My SC Accuracy throughout Mock CAT's remained in 85-90% or even more sometimes. I would mostly thank the e-GMAT team for preparing an amazing SC Lesson Pack. The UGE ,as part of the SC deal, was amazing too.

I always faced a problem knowing my exact accuracy on CR as I had done all the Mock's during the first GMAT experience. In Phase II , I always used to encounter 2-3 CR questions I had seen before. Frankly , even after giving my second GMAT , I still do not have any idea my CR Accuracy.

For RC , I did Aristotle RC , about 50 passages in 20 days. I think my RC accuracy improved from 50 to about 70% which was good enough for me to cross 700.

So with a strong SC, a fairly good CR and an average RC , I was ready to cross the 700 mark on Verbal.

For Quant, I didn't practice ANYTHING at all. Just the regular Mocks . I learned fairly good tricks from MGMAT CAT's. I scored 48-50 range in MGMAT Quant. So I knew I was good.

Here are my CAT Scores in Phase-II Study . All of them are inflated by 10-20 points as I frequently encountered questions I had already seen.

Kaplan CAT (which come with Kaplan Premier Book)

Scores: 760, 720, 740 , 720, 720
MGMAT: 730, 690,700 , 720 , 710
GMAT Prep : 750 (gave only 1 and encountered 4-5 questions I had already seen before)
Real GMAT: 710 ( Q50, V37)
Most Important Learning of my preparation: If you want to score >700 , you should be 1) confident and 2) Know when to LEAVE a question and move on

I sort of feel my real GMAT score is still not my potential but I am running out of time for applications. So I will stop here and starts with essays.

Because this was my second attempt , I would say it takes courage to prepare second time + I was working full time and of-course other personal commitments. I am satisfied (not happy) with my score and I would say "GMAT builds character" because this was the first time I had to give something in life again to get better at it. :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aniruddha2 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 am
Congrats...Even I am prep for second attempt. hope for the best.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Captaingmat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:55 am
Hi Injobt123

That's a nice score you achieved in 45 days. Great going.
I am also facing accuracy problems with CR and RC especially when I give the mocks. Could you elaborate what type of approach you adopted to overcome your hurdle in RC and CR. Did you solve a mixture of RC and CR questions during practice in a time bound way?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 am
I am in the same boat as you were mate. I am at 640. I posted a debrief in the strategy section.
You give me inspiration that the 700 score can be achieved.

Thanks!
A good question also deserves a Thanks.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That's why no-one will remember your name.

by injotb123 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:40 pm
Thanks All!
Captaingmat wrote:Hi Injobt123

That's a nice score you achieved in 45 days. Great going.
I am also facing accuracy problems with CR and RC especially when I give the mocks. Could you elaborate what type of approach you adopted to overcome your hurdle in RC and CR. Did you solve a mixture of RC and CR questions during practice in a time bound way?
For CR , I would recommend you to focus on pre-thinking approach which means you try to pre-think the strength/weakness/assumption etc. (as per question type) before looking at the options. This will get you in the right frame of mind to answer and get it correct. I started CR first without any timebound but later , in last 15 days spent 1 hour daily on CR questions in a timed way.

For RC , I would recommend doing as much practice as possible. Aristotle RC gave me good passages to practice. Although some of their passages are not GMAT like . but it gives you an idea of wide variety of topics you can encounter on the GMAT date.

All the best.

by injotb123 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:47 am
Also happy to report AWA: 5.5 /6.0 and IR : 8 (93%) !! :wink:

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by manihar.sidharth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm
Congrats for an Amazing score.
I also want to improve my SC .Do you suggest that I should take eGMAT course for SC.Will that be helpful