650 to 750+ / Wanna get high

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

650 to 750+ / Wanna get high

by wapeye » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:52 am
Dear users,

I'm new to the GMAT journey as I am to the forums. Have taken two practice tests, here's the lowdown:

A) PlatinumGMAT practice test (Beta)- 25Feb14
Score: 630-640 Q47-48 V30-33
This was my 1st test just to gauge where I am. Did not analyze much, but looked up BeatTheGMAT forums which told me GMATPrep tests are better gauging where one stands.

B) GMATPrepTest1 - 05Mar14
Score: 660 Q46 V35 IR8

Reviewed all the questions I marked wrong, and made notes on why I went wrong on each of them. Here's what the analysis says:

Quant : I'm pretty certain I can better my knowledge and reduce silly mistakes.
Verbal : I look kinda beat overall, though RC is a saver (might improve RC time mgmt with practice). Grammar is a big weak point. I do read the newspaper daily, but Indian publications have pretty lame grammar, as may be evident in my writing abilitays y'all :/
Also found myself really pressed for time in Verbal. Does that improve with practice?
IR : got 8, i think it's good, but I attempted 11/12 and was really short of time.

My target score is 750+ for a mid-July attempt. I plan to put in 2 hrs daily making it a 12-14hr week [Only off is Sunday, devoted purely to wife + new born coming in a couple of weeks:)]. How do I look, and what do I do from here?

Specific inputs needed:
1. Resources for content - SC and CR
2. Resources for content - Quant fundamentals
3. Resources for topic specific tips/guides
4. Tips on avoiding silly mistakes
5. Prep timeline/strategy
6. IR tips - dunno what my IR score/attempts mean

Feel free to lay it down/suggest/criticize

PS: Being an entrepreneur keeps me short on dough, so free and best are two words I love; but will buy the right material for the right price :)

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:48 pm
Hi wapeye,

Based on your date ranges, it looks like you've been studying for just 2 weeks. That having been said, you've scored quite well considering how early on you are in the process. You've given yourself plenty of time to study before your planned GMAT date, which is good.

Have you purchased any GMAT materials already? Suffice to say, the OG13 is a great resource that's packed with former GMAT questions. While it may be tempting to focus solely on self-study and "book work", you're far more likely to hit your goal if you combined some print resources with some online/computer-based resources.

In the mean-time, you can do a full question-by-question breakdown of your practice CATs. Take note of what questions you got correct/incorrect and WHY. Make a list of the concepts that you're not great at and build a plan around learning those concepts.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by iongmat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:52 am
I also find the following website handy, since you specifically mention grammar:

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl

Also, format coaching (either online or classroom) is another option you might want to explore.[/url]

by wapeye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 pm
Thanks Rich, ionGMAT,

Really appreciate the quick help!
[email protected] wrote:Hi wapeye,

Have you purchased any GMAT materials already? Suffice to say, the OG13 is a great resource that's packed with former GMAT questions. While it may be tempting to focus solely on self-study and "book work", you're far more likely to hit your goal if you combined some print resources with some online/computer-based resources.
I've just ordered the OG13 for now. Searching the forums for good online resources based on my weak areas (SC, CR, DS in that order).
[email protected] wrote: In the mean-time, you can do a full question-by-question breakdown of your practice CATs. Take note of what questions you got correct/incorrect and WHY. Make a list of the concepts that you're not great at and build a plan around learning those concepts.
Thanks, I'll do that for the PlatimunGMAT test too.

I'm buying the 6 online MGMAT tests. Is it better to take them in the last 6 weeks, or should I spread them out evenly from now until the test date (4 months out)? If the former, any tips on gauging progress till then?

All,
Please chip in with the following:
1. Resources for content - SC and CR
2. Resources for content - Quant fundamentals
3. Resources for topic specific tips/guides
4. Tips on avoiding silly mistakes
5. Prep timeline/strategy
6. IR tips - dunno what my IR score/attempts mean

Cheers!

GMAT Score:780

by whataB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 am
good questions and I'm sure others will have lots of advice, so I'll stick to addressing just one of your concerns - but the one that's hardest to fix

silly mistakes

the problem w/ silly mistakes is that you make them carelessly, so they are very hard to catch in the moment, and it's only hindsight that reveals them to you. Here are two things you can do:

1. keep a log of all the silly mistakes you make and see if there are any trends. I used to always drop negatives in a particular situation and when I discovered that, I was able to kill of the mistake by prevention - whenever that situation occurred, i'd SLOW DOWN :)

2. write more. many silly mistakes are by product of rushing and doing to much mental work. Use that scratch pad - it frees up a lot of mental "RAM" for thinking

good luck to you
Study Less, Squash Anxiety and
add 50+ pts to your GMAT fast?!

https://bit.ly/GMATdash

Admission winning essays in under 10hrs?

https://bit.ly/under10hrs