650 (Q47 V34)...Retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

650 (Q47 V34)...Retake?

by babuk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:01 pm
Friends,
My blog is going to be long. But I promise it is going to be interesting.

Firstly! 'Beat the GMAT' has been a God send for me:
It's more like 'When the student is ready, the teacher will appear...........(I read this line in APJ Abdul Kalam's book Wings of Fire'. (teacher=Beat the GMAT)'.
Why do I say so?
I had been preparing for GMAT since Oct 2008. My exam was scheduled on 19-Jan-2009. (So I had 3months)
My diagnostic score was 530 (Q 44, V 20~). Around Dec'08 I took some prep-tests. I always scored around 580-600 (Q~48, V~24).
I didn't know what to do. I used to completely go haywire in Verbal. No strategies.... nothing...
Somehow I thought of Pareto's principle..80% of the problems are due to 20% of the reasons.
Basically I started believing that there are only 2-3 things that I need to inculcate in order to move the needle towards that 700 mark.
At that time I started googling and found this 'Beat the GMAT'. It kind of became a daily habit from then on..(':)')
Quick things that I learnt on the blog and practiced...
- Noting down the minutes left at the beginning of every question....
- Timing every question even during practice...(This helped me improve my CR scores a little..although I still had serious problems with CR).
- Taking sets of 15-20 questions (timed) from every section every day. If not anything else, I kept doing this for SC questions...(this helped me drastically reduce time spent on SC questions..less than 40sec per sc qn).
I gave myself 10 days time to do all these...
I took a prep-test on 31-Dec-2008. I got a 690. There were several repeat questions...Still I never got to a 690 before even under similar circumstances.
The point is I felt I was in control all thru the test, which was never the case before. I knew exactly how I was going to tackle each qn type. I knew how much time I was spending on each question. I skipped questions that took more than 2min.

Secondly! 'My score and preparation'.
I wrote a test in the first week of Jan'09. It was a completely new set. I got a 650. I was dejected..didn't know what to do..
In the corner of my mind I felt this is what I am worth at that point..do I reschedule my exam? What else do I do? These were the questions that started occupying my mind. With loads of work in the office, a 10month old kid at home and being a lazy ass by birth made my situation very difficult. I decided I will take the test. And then I will use the rest of the days to identify a couple of more things to improvise...And then in retrospect I think I was banking on some luck factor to support me on that day...
I took my GMAT on 19-Jan-2009. Got a 650 (Q47. V34).
My first reaction was...'see...this is what I was worth'...Although I was a little disappointed, I felt happy about the fact that my preparation was reliable and predictable. With what I am worth, if I practiced a couple of more things, I would certainly hit the 700 mark is what I felt.
Also...the way I took the test was a lot different on that day. Really really not sure why...But I literally started rechecking the answers for each question in Quant. This meant doing every question twice..I really felt the questions were very easy. That made me feel I might be doing silly mistakes...Towards the end I was not left with enough time and I skipped almost 4 to 5 questions...I am damn damn sure that would have pulled me back from 49 to 47.
Also in Verbal I started well...Was timing every question...But then there was an RC that ended up being the decider...I remember spending 4 to 5 min on a question...Why the hell do I get into such soup....God! I don't know...then CRs started appearing very very lengthy...remember I said I wasn't comfortable with CRs even during my prep. Anyways...the reality is I got a 650. And this exam is what it is.

Thirdly! My background..
I have 10+ years of experience in IT Industry. I worked for 4 years in Infy (Bangalore) and 6+ years in GE (Bangalore).
Last 3+ years have been on Process quality. I am a certified PMP and also a certified Sixsigma Blackbelt.
Very active on extracurricular. I am regular to community service, fun/cultural events at work and have very good organizational skills.
I am very confident of good recommendations from my immediate managers (1 from my ex manager who is an alumni of Darden) and the other from my immediate manager on the current job.
I hail from a small town in Southern India. Been introspecting a lot over the last couple of years. Started reading a lot of autobiographies. SLowly all this culminated into a desire to accomplish my dreams. One of the reasons to start thinking of an MBA and then preparing for GMAT and finally taking it is that desire.

Fianally! My Aim and question to you all friends...
My aim is to pursue an MBA in Finance or Entrepreneurship in one of the top 20 Bschools in the world.
I am considering retaking the test...But a little hesitant because I have a lot of work in office already...and then afraid of the possibility of getting lesser or the same score.
With my background, score and other details I mentioned, please suggest if I can still make it to the top 20 B schools.
Do I retake the test or not? Suggestions pls!
Let's say i score a 690 or even 700! Does that put me in a much better position than a 650 with all other things remaining the same? :) :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by revoltangel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:04 am
hi babuk,
first,congratulations on all your life accomplishments. sounds like you have a lot going on to make an application to a top 20 school very strong.
in my opinion, you should take the test again . many people say to expect to take the GMAT twice. look into the schools you want to apply to. on mba.com they show the ranges of applicants' GMAT scores that have gotten into that school.
i just took the gmat yesterday, actually. i got a 640 when i was targeting 660 or even 650 as the low end of my goal range. i knew i was capable because i've scored high 600s on my practice tests. i was pretty bummed out for the prospect of dishing $250 for another test and for 20 points. UGH! (still angry/upset as you can tell) But if you're ok with that factor, know that you're very likely to do much better.
guess it just depends on whether you want to take the risk of applying with a score below the median/mean. you could..
(A) apply anyway. maybe you will get in because gmat isn't everything!
(B) maybe they seriously are sticklers about scores. in which way, you just take the exam again and re-apply for the year after.
(C) take the exam again?
i think 650 is still a good accomplishment and a respectable score. i did see it being on the high-end range of some top 20 schools. i hope this helps :) i'm no expert/gmat instructor/friend of mba admissions people, but from what i've read and heard, this is what i think.
what was your percentile? it really depends what schools you want.

by babuk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 pm
Revoltangel!
Thanks for the response...I don't mind shelling out the 250$...I am also inclined towards retaking the GMAT. Just started laying out my plan for the preparation...

One of the reasons I posted my blog is to pen down all my thoughts....

During the next few weeks also I plan to keep posting my preparation on a daily basis...

Will keep you posted...Thanks again for the advice...

Another day gone

by babuk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am
Been planning to start my preparation for a retake..
It's been 2 months since I took GMAT and been out of touch. (19-Jan-2009, GMAT (Q47, V34)).

Hats off to all those who succeed in pushing themselves hard..hard and harder despite the odds against them...
I am in the same boat although not succeeding to pull myself of the aversion (or should I call it the fear factor or the 'will I be able to do it' factor) to get back to my study plan...

My strengths overall:
Problem Solving, Senetence correction.

Weakness:
CR, RC and Data Sufficiency (in the order of magnitude).

My plan of study:
1 week: Back to basics. Go thru all the chapters to revise the fundamentals.
Everyday: To improve reading, read passages on the internet (keeping strategies in mind).

To begin with, lemme do this daily for the next week

I shall post my improvement areas (CR and DS) more specifically in the due course of my preparation..