640 Q47 V30 : An'thr thrd ask'ng help on Verbal Not new huh?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730
Hi Everyone,

I appeared for GMAT in Feb'08 and got a 620 (Q49 V27). Obviously the gap was very wide considering my goal (to break 700 barrier). So thought maybe I would take a brake and work on my basics.

I took some (just a couple of years) time off and was reading BBC science columns continuously to improve my Reading comprehension skills. I decided in May'10 to write the exam again, prepared for two months and concentrated only on Verbal.

I appeared for the exam today.Apparently, it turns out nothing has changed in all these years. I am still at the same place 640 (Q47 V30).

I have used OG11, Verbal supplement 2nd edition, MGMAT SC guide and Powerscore CR bible.

MGMAT and GMAT prep scores are
MGMAT CAT1 06/26 - Q45 V38 690
MGMAT CAT2 06/27 - Q46 V40 700
MGMAT CAT3 07/05 - Q45 V39 690
MGMAT CAT4 07/08 - Q47 V36 680
MGMAT CAT5 07/10 - Q47 V40 710
MGMAT CAT6 07/14 - Q46 V37 680
GMAT Prep1 - 680
GMAT Prep2 - Q46 V40 710

All these tests are with AWA and 5 mins break.

What I observed from these tests and actual exam.
I read the stimulus first and then the question in both RC and CR. I thought reading question first wouldn't work for me (neither the ones which I thought would work, are working lol).
Some of the CRs and SCs in MGMAT exams were familiar, just two or three per test, cos I was going through the BTG forums regularly. So this could have been the reason for my lil higher verbal scores (higher????? compared to my actual GMAT). I didn't realize that this could be a big deal but unfortunately it is.

Here's what I would like to know:
1. Any new strategies to attack RC and CR.
2. If anyone could send me LSAT materials if you have, that would be great. Cos I ran out of OG materials and MGMAT tests.
3. Ideas/Suggestions to improve Verbal skills.
4. Would you guys suggest registering for any course at this point in my preparation, would it be of any help?

I need to reach 700 level and will; But I need some help!

BTW, I do not have any specific time constraints but would like to complete this soon, so that I wouldn't lose another two years �
Appreciate your help!

by gmat_dawg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 pm
gtvisa2002 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I appeared for GMAT in Feb'08 and got a 620 (Q49 V27). Obviously the gap was very wide considering my goal (to break 700 barrier). So thought maybe I would take a brake and work on my basics.

I took some (just a couple of years) time off and was reading BBC science columns continuously to improve my Reading comprehension skills. I decided in May'10 to write the exam again, prepared for two months and concentrated only on Verbal.

I appeared for the exam today.Apparently, it turns out nothing has changed in all these years. I am still at the same place 640 (Q47 V30).

I have used OG11, Verbal supplement 2nd edition, MGMAT SC guide and Powerscore CR bible.

MGMAT and GMAT prep scores are
MGMAT CAT1 06/26 - Q45 V38 690
MGMAT CAT2 06/27 - Q46 V40 700
MGMAT CAT3 07/05 - Q45 V39 690
MGMAT CAT4 07/08 - Q47 V36 680
MGMAT CAT5 07/10 - Q47 V40 710
MGMAT CAT6 07/14 - Q46 V37 680
GMAT Prep1 - 680
GMAT Prep2 - Q46 V40 710

All these tests are with AWA and 5 mins break.

What I observed from these tests and actual exam.
I read the stimulus first and then the question in both RC and CR. I thought reading question first wouldn't work for me (neither the ones which I thought would work, are working lol).
Some of the CRs and SCs in MGMAT exams were familiar, just two or three per test, cos I was going through the BTG forums regularly. So this could have been the reason for my lil higher verbal scores (higher????? compared to my actual GMAT). I didn't realize that this could be a big deal but unfortunately it is.

Here's what I would like to know:
1. Any new strategies to attack RC and CR.
2. If anyone could send me LSAT materials if you have, that would be great. Cos I ran out of OG materials and MGMAT tests.
3. Ideas/Suggestions to improve Verbal skills.
4. Would you guys suggest registering for any course at this point in my preparation, would it be of any help?

I need to reach 700 level and will; But I need some help!

BTW, I do not have any specific time constraints but would like to complete this soon, so that I wouldn't lose another two years �
Appreciate your help!
You're a similar scorer to me. Believe me I know how you feel. I just posted a debrief as well as my life story today on this section of the forum.

From looking at your MGMAT scores, I can tell that right now you're not scoring high enough to get 700 on the GMAT.

IMO, not that the questions are so much as harder on the real thing (and really they are), but I think they are as much if not more just different enough from all your prep materials to throw you off and hence make it "harder".

Anyways, I usually see people scoring in the 700's consistently on GMATPrep and Mgmat (like 730+ etc get around 710 on the real thing) that get 700 on the GMAT.

As far as the verbal prep concerns, I would just say just keep answering questions until your hit rate goes over 90% at least. And it's also a speed issue.

My strategy now is to just beat the GMAT till it's a dead horse and I answer enough questions that nothing phases me anymore. This could literally take me the answering of all of the hardest questions out there and going over them ad nauseum.

It's very frustrating. Have thrown 2+ years down the drain, all that studying and effort, all for nothing.

GMAT Score:730

by gtvisa2002 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:36 am
gmat_dawg wrote: You're a similar scorer to me. Believe me I know how you feel. I just posted a debrief as well as my life story today on this section of the forum.

From looking at your MGMAT scores, I can tell that right now you're not scoring high enough to get 700 on the GMAT.

IMO, not that the questions are so much as harder on the real thing (and really they are), but I think they are as much if not more just different enough from all your prep materials to throw you off and hence make it "harder".

Anyways, I usually see people scoring in the 700's consistently on GMATPrep and Mgmat (like 730+ etc get around 710 on the real thing) that get 700 on the GMAT.

As far as the verbal prep concerns, I would just say just keep answering questions until your hit rate goes over 90% at least. And it's also a speed issue.

My strategy now is to just beat the GMAT till it's a dead horse and I answer enough questions that nothing phases me anymore. This could literally take me the answering of all of the hardest questions out there and going over them ad nauseum.

It's very frustrating. Have thrown 2+ years down the drain, all that studying and effort, all for nothing.
You know what, you are right......
Who am I kidding : Having 710 as the highest score in GMATPrep and dreaming about 700 in GMAT.

That means, I have to put in more efforts and concentrate on new strategies....