640 GMAT top 10 Aspirations

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

640 GMAT top 10 Aspirations

by darryl258 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:18 am
I am deciding whether to take the GMATs once again. So far I have taken them 3 times:

2005: 15% Math, 44% Verbal
2007 November: 29% Math, 88% verbal = 560
August 2008: 55% Math, 87% Verbal = 640

My main question is will it look back to take the GMATs for a 4th time given the steady increase in math and the fact that my first exam was in 2005? What about a 5th time if necessary?

Overall, my undergrad profile is Electrical Engineering with GPA of 3.4, and Economics degree with 3.5, Strong work experience and demonstrated career progression - 4.5 years out of school. Currently posted internationally with responsibilities over middle eastern and european offices for a fortune 100 company. Volunteering background, and strong references from Alumni of top schools I am interested in.

I feel that aside from my GMATs I have a real chance at a top school. How many more tries would you say that I have on the GMAT before it starts looking bad...if any?? Also, if I were to take the GMAT's again and do worse then a 640, would this reflect badly on my application, or would admissions simply look at my best score?

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:32 am
Dear Darryl,

Congratulations on your new score! I think you are within range for many top MBA programs at a 640; it is just at the bottom of the range. As such, your GPA, work experience, recommendations, and essays are what will push you into the "interview" pile. From what you posted, you have a great GPA and work experience. It also seems you have some global business experience to leverage in your application.

There are programs that view more than 3 GMAT attempts negatively, but by no means is that a majority of schools. Regardless of how many times you take the test, the school will only use your highest total score from the last 5 years in your evaluation. If you believe you can increase your score another 40+ points, then it might be worth retaking it again. I'm not sure a 10-20 point increase will make much difference.

In my experience, most people do not see significant increases after the third or fourth attempt. I would caution you from taking the test beyond 5 times as it might not be worth your effort. Ultimately, it is your decision based on how you feel you will do on the test.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me