640 GMAT Score --- Guidance required

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

640 GMAT Score --- Guidance required

by sridevipavan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:28 am
I cracked the GMAT recently with a score of 640(Q48 V30 AWA5.5).
I took nearly 1.5 years for my preparation.

I gave my first shot 6 months after I started preparing for GMAT and was shattered at my score of 540!!! I started preparing again and studied for another 8 months and got a score of 640. I studied MGMAT SC course and Power Score CR bible(I knew my weak point is Verbal). I was getting a score ranging between 680 and 720 in my practice tests.With that confidence I cracked my GMAT and got a score of 640:-(.

Now I am clueless. I dreamed of top -schools and now I am worried if I do not fit into the top 20 programs. My details are:

Education : Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science.
Occupation: Senior Software Engineer at a reputed IT service Firm(India)
Marital Status :Married
Years of Exp: 4

I have worked in projects of various domains including Discrete Manufacturing,Supply Chain Management and Banking domain. I am currently working for a client who has a big name in International Banking sector.

Can anyone please guide me in applying to top universities? What are the criteria I should look for in a University when I select the university?(I am interested in finance/general management).

Also, I have heard people saying that IT applicants need to have a very high GMAT score(>700). In that case do I have to retake my GMAT?

Regards
Sridevipavan

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 am
The Top 20 US programs have median GMAT's at or above 690 for the full time program, so I do believe that you need to take the test again. I would focus most on the verbal as you said.

Yes, IT and Indian applicants appear to be a dime a dozen overall from reading these boards, but one demographic factor you left out was that you're a woman, not a man, and that could set you apart to some degree on the demographics side. Your essays just need to show how you are unique, and that can help you there.

Nevertheless on the test as you said, you need to improve on the verbal section because a 30 is right above the median of 28/29 and you probably need to get it to the mid 30's. With practice and recognizing patterns between certain question types, your score should improve. Good luck.