620, Q40, V35

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:620

620, Q40, V35

by rangerguy2000 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm
I got 620, Q40, V35, have 10 yrs of work ex in IT+Operations. Got a 3 yr Comp Sc degree from India. Have been in Canada for the last 7 years. Whats schools should i go for? and what are my realistic chances?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:41 pm
With 10 years of work experience and a 620, I would suggest looking at part-time programs in the area in which you live (and work). Based on the data you provided, I believe it will be very challenging to be admitted to a top tier school. Quitting your job and going to a lower ranked school might not make a great deal of sense at this point in your career/life.

Keep in mind that top schools have a "range" that is roughly 680-720 and the ideal applicant has closer to 5 years of work experience. You will need to have a very convincing story about why business school makes sense for you at this point in your career (and why you didn't apply earlier) in order to have a shot at getting admitted.

A part-time program would enable you to gain the business skills that you are looking for and might provide a better ROI than going to a lower-ranked full-time program.
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by rangerguy2000 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:29 am
[quote="Jessica@VeritasPrep"]With 10 years of work experience and a 620, I would suggest looking at part-time programs in the area in which you live (and work). Based on the data you provided, I believe it will be very challenging to be admitted to a top tier school. Quitting your job and going to a lower ranked school might not make a great deal of sense at this point in your career/life.

Keep in mind that top schools have a "range" that is roughly 680-720 and the ideal applicant has closer to 5 years of work experience. You will need to have a very convincing story about why business school makes sense for you at this point in your career (and why you didn't apply earlier) in order to have a shot at getting admitted.

A part-time program would enable you to gain the business skills that you are looking for and might provide a better ROI than going to a lower-ranked full-time program.[/quote]

Thank you very much Jessica for your kind insight.
Now another few questions. I have been admitted to HEC Montreal and Wilfred Laurier Waterloo both. Both the programs are 1 year intensive. Both the programs are not that expensive but still i'll be setting myself back by atleast 50 grand Canadian. Right now I am earning 50000/yr, do you think I'll get a good jump after MBA from one of these schools.

What would you do?

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 am
I am a big believer in education and I think there are pay-offs that go beyond future income potential. I think a one year program might be the perfect solution for you. I am not very familiar with the programs you named so I don't have a recommendation as to which would be "better" - a lot if this really has to do with which school you prefer and have a better feeling about, etc.

I DO think that the 100k (50 you spend and 50 in income that you give up) will be recovered in the course if your career. And, if it leads to more interesting job opportunities, personal fulfillment, and more confidence in your business abilities then it is money well spent!

Good luck!!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options