620 in GMAT, A doctor from Delhi applying for MBA in US

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
hi, a little bit about myself
I am Sumit, a medical doctor, completed my graduation in MBBS ( bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery) in 2007 from Delhi University ( Ranked among top 5 medical colleges in India). I have a 4 year working experience and a 1 year internship experience from the same college i passed out from , and have been working for last 2 years in one of the best cancer hospitals in India.
I want to do MBA to broaden my scope of work fields, so that instead of being restricted to Hospital clinics, i get a chance to work in Pharmaceutical companies, or other health related industries, for whom i would be a suitable candidate if i hold a MBA degree.

I gave my GMAT today and got a dismal 620 Q-49
V-27( dont know how i got it that bad, but somehow the
questions appeared tougher than usual)

Could anyone please help in in deciding whether i have any chance with any of the top 30 universities in the US of A. I chose to send my scores at Drexel SPH, Emory, South university( Austin Campus) and Kenan Flagler B school.

Thanks
Dr sumit

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:41 members

by Marc@AcceptU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 am
Your background is unique but that GMAT score is quite low. If you can retake and pull up your score, these schools will be more aligned and other schools will potentially become an option.
Marc Zawel
Founder, AcceptU
Admissions counseling from former MBA admissions officers.

Learn more about AcceptU or sign up for a complimentary
MBA admissions assessment

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sumit_ronin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 am
Thank u Marc...will Retake the exam soon . :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 am
Hi Sumit,

I am also a physician from India and am looking for an MBA targeted towards healthcare and general management. From what advise i have been given from candidates with similar backgrounds (who have successfully completed their MBA's) is to look for a 700+ score. Most of the Indian applicants are from the IT/Engineering background (or traditional business background such as BBA, Accountancy, Finance etc )and a non traditional candidate with a 700 performance (especially with 80+ percentile in quant) looks extremely attractive to addcoms who like diversity in their programs especially considering that Healthcare is a fast growing field globally. To your advantage you are all ready scoring very high in Quant and that removes one major DOUBT that the ADCOMS will have when it comes to Indian MBBS Candidates (who haven't attended a quant class since 12th grade)..

Given your background, it is quite clear that you are a strong academician therefore aim for something higher (680-720). What was your average Percentage through MBBS? If you have done well then that will be another factor that will boost your application. And have you done an MD ? (If so those 3 years of your residency will count towards W.E.). I am currently prepping for my GMAT and am at the 630-640 range in GMAT PREP (though my Quant refuses to cross the 44 mark) but would schedule the test until i am consistently hitting 680-700 on my practice CAT's..

Since you will have almost 8-9 years of WE by the time you start your MBA, have you considered a 1-year program? MM Healthcare is an option, or a 1-year MBA (Yale has a very highly rated program for candidates with 7+ years of experience)...
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas