620 -> 660 -> what am I doing wrong here?

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:34 am
rishi raj wrote:Nice to hear from you ! You(and your posts) are an inspiration to us who try to help out others looking for advices here on the forum. Though we'd obviously be not able to give the kind of insights your pour in your posts, but then at least we can learn from you and help out others through the learning. Thanks a ton! \m/
thanks -- i'm glad you find them helpful.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sashish007 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:11 am
lunarpower wrote:this is especially the case on the verbal section, which is much less adaptive than the math section -- i.e., your score on the verbal section is much more closely correlated to the number of questions that you get correct, and much less dependent on "difficulty levels", than is your math score.
therefore, your best bet on the verbal section (probably also on the math section, but DEFINITELY, without question, on the verbal section) is to follow a constant timing pattern throughout the section. do not spend extra time on the early verbal questions.
in my practice experience of 1.5 years, I've observed that a relatively higher number of incorrect answers can keep you in the 40s on the Q section than it does on the V section. in fact, i once scored a 50 on Q with 9 errors. the V section is possibly less adaptive and reprimands you for incorrect answers at any point in the test.

again, i believe it's very important to understand that the GMAT is judging you not purely on the 1st few questions but on various concepts in mathematics and english, and probably scores you according to the breadth of your knowledge along with the difficulty level. for instance, scoring a 50 on Q but a 25 on V indicates a poor balance. similarly, you could be good at arithmetic/algebra but poor in geometry and that could impact your Q score even though you got all else but geometry questions right. however, V scoring seems relatively uniform and several errors concentrated anywhere throughout the section can bring your score down.
lunarpower wrote:in general, the adult human brain isn't made to absorb new information for more than about five hours a day; above that level, you're going to get a lot more negative results and burnout than actual learning.

also, importantly, connections between concepts are not made during active studying; instead, they are made during a process called “latent learning�, which only happens when you are not studying. in general, this sort of learning isn't going to happen unless you give yourself enough time OFF -- at a minimum, 1-2 days OFF per week, and 1-2 hours of dead-brain time per day.
i've personally experienced this twice now and in my recent GMAT administration, my score on Verbal dropped to 19 from ~36 on practice tests though my AWA was 6.0! i spent a lot of time studying constantly, more here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/700-practice ... 72060.html

besides the non-native speaking barrier, many people on this community i believe are suffering from this psychological problem like me. the majority of learning i feel happens after i have taken a break from studying, e.g. watching tv, sleeping, playing, or chatting with people or being in some place where you can try out what you've learned. last week, i gave a test w/o preparing and got a 34 on the V section. cramming is not a solution, some things take time to soak in and marinate.
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.