610->690->740-8 months of rollercoaster ride ENDS!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by flipit13 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:59 pm
This is the same score path I just finished. Got my 740 today after 4 months of prep. Thanks for paving the way!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by chevy.ss » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 am
targetivy wrote:Well mine has been quite a frustrating GMAT journey. Whenever I'd open these forums here,I'd see people scoring 750 or 760 on the first attempt itself and I always used to get
anxious when I'd reach this score and in fact after the first attempt I never thought that I'd be able to reach this score.But patience paid off and thankfully I'm done with the GMAT for good
Here's my journey in a nutshell:

First attempt

September 30th,2012- 610
I wanted to apply in early action for CBS and Tuck and without much preparation(2 weeks to be precise)took the GMAT. I hardly knew the content well and took only 2-3 full length tests when I should have done a lot more. I Was quite disappointed with the score AND realized that cracking the GMAT is not gonna be as easy as it looked like.And I obviously missed the early action dates.

Second attempt

20th November 2012 -690
This time I prepped a little better but I think that I still didn't understand the concepts well.I knew a lot of stuff but doing it under timed conditions was a challenge.I used grockit and it helped me improve by 80 points. On one side I thought that maybe I have maxed out and I can't score more than this but I thought that a score of 690 is not good enough especially because I belong to a very competitive pool and the average
scores at the schools I'm targeting hover around 720. So I dropped the idea of applying to business schools altogether for the fall 2013 intake.

Third attempt
22nd April 2012 - 740
I prepped for a total of 2 months during this attempt. Did the Free verbal classes that came alongwith the aristotle verbal grail set. The classes were quite good and moreso because they were free. But I had to finish them in 3 weeks because I didn't have much time left for my GMAT.
This time I felt more in command of verbal and of the GMAT as whole as I had prepared for quite a few months by now and I could feel it while taking the test too.
Was overwhelmed when I saw a 740 on the screen. 49 on Quant and 42 on Verbal. Almost jumped with joy!!!!!!!!

My $0.02 FWITW
- If I had started following these forums a bit early, I probably would have wisened enough early on.
- Taking a lot of practice tests is important. I took only 2 tests on the first attempt and no wonder i sank liked titanic.
- Don't do the same mistake that I did of underestimating the GMAT. Yes, you shouldn't be scared of the GMAT but at the same time the GMAT is not a cakewalk.
- I'd occasionally here stories of people getting into HBS and other top schools with 600 or so scores. The truth is these people are exceptions in schools where the average GMAT scores around 720-730.
I remember that the guy who was admitted to HBS with a 580 score was an ex NBA player..there are other people with those scores who get through who are very strongly linked to the schools as they belong to prominent business houses of different countries and the top schools do take that into consideration(although they don't mention it explicitly).

Anyway, it was great learning from others here. It's by reading and participating in these forums that I have been able to pull up a victory!
Hello- I really admire your conviction and thanks for sharing your great story. I am starting off with my prep and this was really helpful. I am keeping a target of 6 months to prep for gmat. Do you think it is sufficient?

by neha.gar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 am
flipit13 wrote:This is the same score path I just finished. Got my 740 today after 4 months of prep. Thanks for paving the way!
I hope to follow this path too. The biggest hurdle I am seeing is with my reading comprehension skills where my accuracy is not the best right now. Planning to take the GMAT very soon and hope that I'll be able to improve it

GMAT Score:770

by Erfun_GMATCompass » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36 am
This is an inspiring and well-informed read. Thanks for the story. I'll be sharing it with my students.
Erfun Geula
GMAT Compass
gmattutornyc.com/
gretutornyc.com/

Serious about helping you beat the GMAT!