600+ Wind

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

600+ Wind

by challenger63 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:27 am
I correctly answered the question below, but it could be interesting for other members.

So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

(A) and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless,
(B) and the gale-force wind gusts were relentless, so that
(C) its gusts of gale-force wind relentless, that
(D) the gale-force winds were gusting so relentlessly,
(E) so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind, that

Source: VeritasPrep

OA will be latter.
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

Followed by:6 members

by The Iceman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:59 am
Both of the following idioms are correct:
so x that y
so x, so y that z

Option E correctly captures the intended meaning, using the latter construction.
Last edited by The Iceman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 am
i feel that something is wrong with option C

shouldn't it be like this, "its relentless gusts of gale-force wind , that"?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Followed by:3 members

by aman88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 am
IMO E
Let us know the OA soon.

Thanks.

by challenger63 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 pm
OA: E
challenger63 wrote:I correctly answered the question below, but it could be interesting for other members.

So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones, and its gusts of gale-force wind were relentless, the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

OA will be latter.
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

GMAT Score:650

by tisrar02 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:31 pm
hemant_rajput wrote:i feel that something is wrong with option C

shouldn't it be like this, "its relentless gusts of gale-force wind , that"?
The correct idiom is So X, that Y

Interesting problem. I was struggling between C and E and ended up going with E but still was not fully content with my answer. Glad to know I was right though.
Dedication is what leads to success...

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm
i know the right idiom is So X that Y but i still i need an explanation for this question. its quite hard.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

by hemant_rajput » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm
challenger63 wrote:I correctly answered the question below, but it could be interesting for other members.

>>misplaced relentless; it should be like "and its relentless gusts of gale-force wind ". Also, "that" is missing from the sentence, which need to emphasize the next clause

>>wrong usage of "so that"; It makes next sentence very awkward and bizarre.

>> same as A.

>>passive construction. Also the tense is now present continuous.

>> correct.

OA will be latter.

Hope it helps
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Followed by:6 members

by The Iceman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:39 pm
This is a good one. I overlooked option C in haste. Actually it changes the intended meaning. I have edited my earlier post.

The correct answer should indeed be E. While the more popular version of the correct idiom is so x that y, there is another version of the idiom "so x, so y that z".

Option E correctly uses this construction.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 pm
Hey All,

A few weird things in people's explanations here, so I wanted to weigh in.

(A) In this answer choice, we never get the "that" required by the idiom. Also, the underlined portion creates something like an independent clause, so it's basically a run-on sentence from there on.

(B) Again, we don't get the "that" required by the idiom, but "so that," which isn't correct.

(C) While this hints at being a legal absolute modifier, it doesn't parallel with the opening idiom very well (so X that Y). On a purely grammatical level, you could probably make a case for it, but it's nowhere near as good as E. [Iceman, this is my point on absolute modifiers...this could technically be considered correct! Icky!]

(D) Someone said there was a passive construction here, but there isn't. It's simply a past progressive tense. It's wrong because we're missing the "that" part of the idiom, and we also seem to have created a full independent clause by the end of the underline, making the sentence something of a run-on.

Good work everyone!

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!

by hemant_rajput » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:23 pm
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hey All,

(A) In this answer choice, we never get the "that" required by the idiom. Also, the underlined portion creates something like an independent clause, so it's basically a run-on sentence from there on.

(B) Again, we don't get the "that" required by the idiom, but "so that," which isn't correct.

(C) While this hints at being a legal absolute modifier, it doesn't parallel with the opening idiom very well (so X that Y). On a purely grammatical level, you could probably make a case for it, but it's nowhere near as good as E. [Iceman, this is my point on absolute modifiers...this could technically be considered correct! Icky!]

(D) Someone said there was a passive construction here, but there isn't. It's simply a past progressive tense. It's wrong because we're missing the "that" part of the idiom, and we also seem to have created a full independent clause by the end of the underline, making the sentence something of a run-on.

Good work everyone!

-t
Hey tommy,

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes. It is always good to have one's approach verified by Experts.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by magpie16 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am
Hi Tommy, Bumping old thread as I have a small question. Thought I could find the correct answer easily simply by looking into the parallelism criterion, I was wondering whether the correct idiomatic form is "so X, so Y, that" or "so X and so Y that". Please let me know.
I think it makes more sense to have the sentence as:
So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones and so relentless its gusts of gale-force wind that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.
Otherwise, though I might be wrong, I feel that only the second part after second "so" is leading to the part after "that".
Tommy Wallach wrote:Hey All,

Good work everyone!

-t

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by oblivion2232 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:25 am
So heavy were the storm's rains and hailstones, its gusts of gale-force wind relentless, that the city took nearly a decade to recover from the monumental hurricane that affected not just a region, but an entire nation.

In the above sentence, why cannot the underlined part be considered as an modifier to Storm's rains & hailstorms. Please help me understand why C is wrong.[/u]