600+ Bounty Hunters

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

600+ Bounty Hunters

by challenger63 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm
After bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, they often are denied due process of law.

A. After bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, they often are denied due process of law.
B. After turning over bounty hunters' captives to the authorities, the authorities often deny them due process of law.
C. The authorities often deny captives due process of law after bounty hunters turn the captives over to the authorities.
D. Bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, often being denied due process of law.
E. A captive, when turned over by bounty hunters to the authorities, is often denied due process of law.

OA after discussion.

Source: 800Score
If you find my post useful, please don't hesitate to click thanks button.

I am not an expert, so I can make mistakes. If you see a mistake, please notify me.

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 am
challenger63 wrote:After bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, they often are denied due process of law.

A. After bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, they often are denied due process of law.
B. After turning over bounty hunters' captives to the authorities, the authorities often deny them due process of law.
C. The authorities often deny captives due process of law after bounty hunters turn the captives over to the authorities.
D. Bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, often being denied due process of law.
E. A captive, when turned over by bounty hunters to the authorities, is often denied due process of law.

OA after discussion.

I'll go with C.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishalbpr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 am
challenger63 wrote:After bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, they often are denied due process of law.

OA after discussion.

"they" is ambigious here.
bounty hunters' captives - not preferred.
Seems correct.
it seems bounty hunters are denied due process.
Not clear who is denying due process...

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 am
Hey Challenger63,

How did you come up with ratings for Question?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 am
After bounty hunters turn over their captives to the authorities, they often are denied due process of law.

my take :C
A is out because there is a rule that says if the first pronoun refers to one noun then similar pronoun will refer to the same noun so in A "their" refers to bounty hunters then "they " will refer to same bounty hunters .also we can classify "they " as ambiguous
B is wrong for wrong modifiers
D is wrong for its appearing that authorities are being denied due process of law
E is wrong for using "when". also the usage of "turned over " looks as if a captive is literally being turned upside down !!