60 day plan in 81 days

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

60 day plan in 81 days

by runs88 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm
Hi,

I have booked my GMAT for december the 5th and I wanted to know if it was okay to use the 60 day plan.
my idea is that whilst I have 90 days from tomorrow (5th sept) till the exam, I have to take off 9 days for family and work commitments.

therefore, I will then have 81 days, so a 3 month plan does not work. Could I start the 60 day plan with the 9 days off throughout and then use the extra days to practice test or look at areas i am still struggling?

It would be great to get some expert advice

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:29 pm
A lot of students have difficulties completing the 60-day guide in 60 days, since all sorts of things (vacations, work, family, illness, etc) can prevent you from studying every day. So, having 81 days will give you a nice buffer.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by runs88 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:14 am
thanks Bret much appreciated.

What are your thoughts on timing the OG practice questions and also not completing a days work in the set day? Should I complete a day before moving onto the next topic?

Finally, I have been unable to get hold of manhattan gmat books at the moment. I have just finished day 5. I currently just review the topic, do the practice Q's, then review/write notes on my wrong answers.

For someone aiming to get 700, is the additional guides crucial?

Many Thanks,

Ope

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 am
runs88 wrote:thanks Bret much appreciated.

What are your thoughts on timing the OG practice questions and also not completing a days work in the set day? Should I complete a day before moving onto the next topic?

Finally, I have been unable to get hold of manhattan gmat books at the moment. I have just finished day 5. I currently just review the topic, do the practice Q's, then review/write notes on my wrong answers.

For someone aiming to get 700, is the additional guides crucial?

Many Thanks,

Ope
I believe that students focus on timing far too early in their studies. The first half of your studies should focus on learning the concepts and GMAT-specific strategies. Once you've learned the content, you can start working on your timing. Here are 2 articles I've written for BTG on this subject:
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/06/ ... mat-part-i
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... at-part-ii

Each day of the Study Guide builds on concepts learned on previous days. So, it's important that you finish a day's work before advancing to the next day.

If you're still awaiting the MGMAT books, then your current game plan sounds good (i.e, review the topic, do practice Q's, review/write notes).

I can't think of additional guides, but I do recommend that you spend tons of time on the BTG forums.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com