590 to 680

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

590 to 680

by rsbhatt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 am
Just took my GMAT and scored 680 (Quant 48, Verbal 34). I messed up my first exam and the worst part was that I knew it after I finished quant. I think In all the excitement I forgot to remember that I had to be careful during first 15 question and double check every answer. The result was that I never got to hard questions. All the questions I faced were so easy that I finished quant in 50 minutes. So it never tested my real ability. So Yes it is very important that you get the first 15 questions right. No matter how good you are, you cannot afford to make mistake in first 15 question. In my next test yesterday, this is the only thing that worked for me. So even after I ran out of time and just had to guess last three questions I got decent score.
For me it was a real difficult to start with as I finished my highschool in 1986. More than twenty years since I did any real math. Worst part is I am a native Indian and in India highschool means standard 10, After that you have to chose between biological sciences or mathematics. So I never studied probality or permutations and combinations that are part of class 11-12 mathmatics and that are hard questions on GMAT. Here these forums have helped me a lot specially beat the GMAt and Manhattan GMAT. These questions were real hard for me. Beside this, anybody with a long gap in math practice and who is going to take the GMAT, Here are two very useful math websites that I used to get aquainted with the general principals of math that are tested on GMAT and offer lot of practice questions on each topic ( I don't know how useful these are for other people)
https://www.algebralab.org/lessons/lesson.aspx
https://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm.
My whole preparation for GMAT starting from practice with these website to actual test took 3 months. After I finished with every concept in these sites (which took a month, since I am working full time) I practiced from OG11, princeton review and kaplan.
In addition I practised every test posted on forums. Took both practice tests in PowerPrep each atleast four times. This way you get to see all different set of questions. Permutation combination questions posted on beat the GMAT forum and Manhattan GMAT helped me a lot.
OG 11 last 100 questions I did three time, kept a record and marked on the questions on which I made a mistake everytime. that indicated that I had problem in reasoning that questions, while others usually meant carelessness.
Verbal I did not study at all. I am Ph.D. in immunology and have to do lot of reading everyday. However, being a non-native English speaker is a disadvantage, but I figured since I read so much everday, I am not going to improve any further than where I am now. My strongest ability is critical reasoning (almost never get any question wrong) and my weakest part is RC. But the the truth is everytime in simulated test I scored between 67-69 percentile on verbal. In both my GMAT, test I scored exactly 69 percentile. I have lot of study and practice material (more than 250 questions) downloaded from different websites. Anybody living in NJ who wants them I will happy to give out. After looking at my Aug score, I am just happy to get this score.
I just want to thank everybody on this forum that helped me a lot in my preparation.
Last edited by rsbhatt on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ok24by7 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:12 pm
Congratulations. Good algebra site. Your phd and score combo are great!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by daniyatom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:53 am
can you take two tests within 31 days? if i recall correctly, GMAC says that you cannot and if they find out, they could cancel your score.

just my 2cents but great score though!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:22 am
congrats !!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rsbhatt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am
daniyatom wrote:can you take two tests within 31 days? if i recall correctly, GMAC says that you cannot and if they find out, they could cancel your score.

just my 2cents but great score though!
No you can not take two exams in month. I had already fixed two dates one on 7th aug and another on 9th (which are more than 31 days apart). Since test did not download on 7th aug they had to accomodate me somewhere in between as it was not my fault. They will do this for anybody if the technical problem occurs on their part.