590 to 660 in 3.5 weeks. Suggestions please?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey guys,

I wrote the GMAT in early Jan and got a 590 (Verbal and Quant, both 58%). I did the Kaplan online course but was not very diligent in doing everything in it. I skimmed the material and gave the test a shot. I did not find Kaplan inspiring as such. I applied to the school of my choice and now have a chance to get in if I can improve my GMAT to 650 or higher. From what I have read here, it seems Manhattan GMAT is the way to go. I'd like to find out your thoughts on what course materials I should use and what strategy to implement. I have the OG 12 and the Quant and Verbal books. I'm writing end of March. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 pm
What are your weak areas in quant? That will dictate which (if not all) MGMAT books you should get. The only thing I see here though is that by the time you receive the books you'll have a little over a week to study and there's no way you can go through all of the MGMAT study guides PROPERLY in such a short time frame. I will say that the Word Translations guide is invaluable as is the number properties guide.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by binurajbinu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 am
I suggest that whatever preparation material you choose, don't skim through it, carefully read each and every tips and lessons.
The more you learn, the more you know, what you don't know.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:25 am
RayDream wrote:Hey guys,

I wrote the GMAT in early Jan and got a 590 (Verbal and Quant, both 58%). I did the Kaplan online course but was not very diligent in doing everything in it. I skimmed the material and gave the test a shot. I did not find Kaplan inspiring as such. I applied to the school of my choice and now have a chance to get in if I can improve my GMAT to 650 or higher. From what I have read here, it seems Manhattan GMAT is the way to go. I'd like to find out your thoughts on what course materials I should use and what strategy to implement. I have the OG 12 and the Quant and Verbal books. I'm writing end of March. I appreciate your help. Thank you.
For verbal,I think ur material is sufficient.
Just learn the concepts slowly-dont skim thru it.

For maths,try making notes of the elimination strategy,shortcut-tricks.
Also,can you mention ur weak and strong pts. in the QUANT and VERBAL ??
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P