590!! in need of motivation..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

590!! in need of motivation..

by target_mba2010 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 pm
Last friday 18th of september, I gave my first attempt for GMAT.I prepared for close to 3 months,spending more time studying for the later 1.5 months.
My practice scores were as follows:

GMAT Prep1 610(Q 41,V 33)
GMAT Prep2 680(Q 48,V 35)
MGMAT Free Test 580(Q 40,V 30)
GMAT Prep1 610(Q 45,V 29)
GMAT Prep2 620(Q 50,V 24)

Final GMAT Score 590 (Q 42,V 29)

I was expecting to score somewhere btn 650-700 as I approached the exam with confidence and acool head.I was able to finish both sections well ahead in time as well.
But,something went terribly wrong and I am now trying to figure that out. I am finding it very difficult to analyse Quant as the scores are very fluctuating.As far as Verbal is concerned, its been a struggle from the day I began my preps.I have noticed that my verbal scores come down a great deal due to the accuracy in RCs.My accuracy is SC and CR has been more during practice from OGs that in practice tests.Its been vice versa in case of RCs.
I have focussed on practising the OGs,11 as well as 12,completed them more than once and practised some verbal from kaplan and manhattan.

About my profile-I belong to the one of the most popular category out there,IMT(Indian Male techie) with an engineering degree and 2 yrs experience.
I need to retake the exam within 2 months time as I am planning to apply for the next fall session.
With such a confusing picture,I am finding it really tough right now to keep myself motivated and crack the test in the 2nd try.Any help and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 pm
Hi mate,

Don't get frustrated by your score. I know its hard to forget those haunting memories which i have also faced before. Just take a break from GMAT for a week or so and come out fresh. If you are weak in RC, try practising some LSAT passages which gives you an exposure of difficult passages that would help you a lot in actual GMAT.

Good luck!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by target_mba2010 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:05 am
Thanks alot papgust and vinayakdl for the suggestion and motivation.
Its been a tough time.Hoping to come out with proper analysis and strategies asap.
Thanks again.
Cheers!