585 to 750 in 2 months - what's worked & free resources

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
In mid-July, I got 585 in Kaplan practice test.
Today, mid-September, I just came back with 750 (Q51, V41).
Just a week ago, my score mumbled around 690-730 and I was really panicked. Just two days before the exam I finally got score over 750, which made me relieved a lot.

Below are my past mock results.

700 8/9/17 Gmat Prep 1
730 8/28/17 Gmat Prep 2
720 9/7/17 Kaplan
755 9/7/17 London Business School
720 9/9/17 Gmat Club
690 9/11/17 Economist
720 9/12/17 Veritas
760 9/13/17 Gmat Prep 3
740 9/14/17 Gmat Prep 4

Quite a lot!
I studied around 3-4 hours a day for the 2 months.

1. Free Resources

1) EmpowerGmat:
I really appreciate the two Empowerment guys. Especially Empowerment is really good at verbal. The method that guy used to crack verbal did work in actual exam. I strongly recommend you to enrol at least 1 hour to learn what strategy he uses to attack verbal.

2) Economist
Economist was especially helpful for Reading Comprehension. After learning its 'Initial Learning' strategy, I seldom struggled with scary passages. Hence it helped me save time on RC. You can renew it after 7 days passed/used up 10% lectures. Its practice questions were also quite like actual GMAT ones.

3) Veritas
Free question bank in Veritas also equipped me with real-time exam sense. Especially its Sentence Correction questions are very good, not because of their own quality rather of its difficulty, because they are ridiculously difficult. I felt real GMAT Sentence Correction was way easier, but it worked anyway because it's true that those questions helped me beat every tricky questions!

Those are what I used most, but I agree that Official Guide is a must have. For the first month of my preparation i.e. July to August I relied on OG. I think it became the foundation on which I stacked up a few more marks in Verbal.

2. What's worked

I studied with OG for the first month. Next, I started working on actual questions & mocks.
For the last one week, I did one mock every day. I had no choice but to buy Gmat Prep 3&4. Along with questions, I re-learned the strategies to attack Verbal from EmpowerGmat and Economist. I frequently used BeattheGmat and GmatClub (sorry!) to understand why this is right/wrong.
Mock everyday & useful verbal strategies did work.

3. On the exam day

I booked my exam at 8am, followed the Empower guy's advice that your brain works the most in the morning. I can't doubt so. I revised GmatPrep mock 1 to 4, and did 5 each verbal on Veritas. I selected verbal first, because I knew that it is where I have to do the best of myself.
After then? I aced my exam!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Nbagaria » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 pm
sgmat9 : Congratulations for the great score :)

May you please share how you prepared for Verbal ? And any tips you want to share.