510 Still determined and unfazed - will try again!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys! I need your advice!

I'm writing my first GMAT test day experience on my laptop across the test center where I took the GMAT after 2 hours ago and I must say that this is a test of stamina as it is a test of IQ. I got a 510 Q29 V32. Below is my score progression:

1. Jan - 420 (Free GMAT CAT)
2. Feb - 450 (Free GMAT CAT)
3. March 2nd week - 450 Q20 V31 (Free MGMAT Exam)
4 March 3rd week - 510 Q26 V34 (1st non free MGMAT)
5. March 4th week - 590 Q30 V41 (2nd non free MGMAT)
6. April 1st week - 530 Q34 V29 (Free GMAT CAT - saw 1 or 2 questions repeated)

7. Actual test April 11 - 510 Q29 V32

I need to make a balanced 650 in around 1.5 months. Do you think this is doable? Below are the items which may have affected my slow progression:

1. I'm swamped with work and have divided time for studying
2. I took a whole practice test with essays yesterday (day before the actual exam) which i should have spent resting.
3. I can't seem to break through Math even if i've been practicing. I think it lies with the fact that i've been familiar with the OG12 questions in PS and DS.
4. I have a problem with pacing and stamina since i always guess in 3 or 4 of the last questions and i repeated this again on the actual test. I always have this anxious and paradoxically confident feeling that since i have some of the questions done and some probably correct, i can coast through the rest and still achieve a great score. Obviously this is and not will be the case.
5. Stamina is a problem for me now since i experienced my mind floating during the 2nd half of verbal. I rushed throught the last 10 questions with 10 mins left.

My obvious weaknesses are probably familiarity with Math basics and being able to draw on my inner creativeness to solve PS and DS within 2 mins. I couldn't let go on one question at one point. Moreover, i need to improve my verbal and be consistent with it by building stamina and endurance at this point. One thing going for me is that I love math by force of habit and have actually given me the momentum to continue practicing and working hard.

My plan is the ff:
1. Do timed OG test with mixed DS and PS a day. 10 DS and 10 PS with varying difficulty. I'm looking at the 2nd ed Quant (green) OG for this.
2. Read the usually boring Economist articles per day to build stamina and comprehend passages and actually understanding them.
3. Take the rest of the MGMAT tests once every weekend (4) and review all questions.

I have never shied away from any challenge because I am competitive and am determined to achieve a great score. I have no problems with all the other areas in my application.

Your thoughts will very much be appreciated! Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by RadiumBall » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 am
Its funny to see how different people perform so differently...for the Native speakers Verbal seems like breeze may be and for most others including me Quant seems to easy...

@mHonster: I can only suggest you to practice every problem in the OG 12 and also in Quant Review. Concentrate more on DS with emphasis on Number Properties and Inequalities...these problems look so cheap but pack a punch...Don't waste your time with Probablity and Combinations...Infact I would say don't even study these topics, just guess if at all you get one...