500 to 690, retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

500 to 690, retake?

by agresj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:51 pm
My first practice test was a whopping 500. First GMAT attempt - a 570. Second was a 580. I almost gave up.

Just finished (about an hour ago) and scored a 690 but with a big quant/verbal split (59th pct quant/92nd pct verbal). I am a native-English speaker who suffers from tremendous test anxiety and scored in the high 70s/low 80s percentiles on official practice tests. I have taken post-grad math courses in order to prove my ability (straight As, btw) but am concerned this split might be a deal breaker for the top 10s. I have a really unique work situation (took over family business six months after college when my dad passed) and have tremendous leadership experience and 3.4 undergrad GPA from a decent US university. Anyone care to weigh in? My targets are Columbia, UCLA, MIT, and Northwestern.

Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 am
I'm not an expert, but I think that getting over your 59th percentile in quant is going to be a hurdle; although, your post-grad math classes will help. What was your undergrad major? Is your current position quant-oriented? You are going to need to really prove to the adcoms that you can handle the math.

I don't think your score is a deal-breaker, as long as you can alleviate any concerns your low quant score may bring. You're good at verbal, so just write some awesome essays.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:28 pm
Your quant score is a challenging one to overcome... You should likely spend some time improving that Columbia and MIT will be a stretch.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review