460 12 days before my test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

460 12 days before my test

by Vixen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 am
Hello all,

I'm scheduled to sit for the exam on January 27th, but I am planning on rescheduling. I took a practice test a couple of weeks ago, and scored a 460 (I forget the split). Quant was rough, and I ran out of time during Verbal with 12-14 questions left. I took the Veritas course over the holidays and while I was traveling a lot for work (bad idea), and didn't have much time to study outside of the class. I know my weak areas, and I think I can devote about 3 hours/day during the week and maybe 3-6 hours on the weekends. I have given up on the idea of applying this year, but I want to put the test behind me and would like to take it as soon as possible. Ideally I would love a 680, but what is realistic timeframe for me to score around 650? Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:54 pm
Hi Vixen,

First off, I want to compliment you on your ability to realize that you needed more time to prepare and that you are taking the necessary steps to adjust your timeline and improve your chances of success. Based on what you've described, you tried to learn a lot in a very short period of time and you have a significant pacing problem. The good news is that all of these problems can be fixed. Since I don't know all of the details about your situation, I'm going to give you a rather broad piece of advice to begin: most people need 12 weeks of study time to achieve their "peak" performance. You could very well score in the high 600s, but you haven't put in enough time yet to do so.

How many practice CAT exams have you taken? If you can provide the score breakdowns for each, then everyone here will have a better idea of how to advise.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Vixen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14 am
Sorry for the late response. I did postpone twice actually. My last test score was 550 (39Q, 22 or 23V). I've lowered my expectation slightly. My test is currently scheduled for June 7th.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:52 pm
Hi Vixen,

You've made some progress since January, which is encouraging. You still have plenty of time before your Official GMAT, so keep working. You should plan to do a full question-by-question review of each CAT that you take. Make a list of all of the questions that you got wrong and WHY you got them wrong. A certain number will be due to silly mistakes - focus on fixing those errors and your score will improve.

There's no reason to lower your expectations. Instead, think about what you can do to improve your chances and then invest the necessary resources to make it happen.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]