420 to 660 to ? (1 wk before retest)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Pal22 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:26 pm
Jnaaka, so how was your test? Did you finally make it?
Interested to know about the final outcome of your final GMAT attempt. Please share.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 am
Yeah, any update?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by jnaaka » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am
WOW! For a while my post was tagged for spam/blocked and I didn't realize it had gone up! My fault for not checking...

SOOOOO...guess what, I did it! I hit 710 (42V-96% and 44Q-63%). BUT, it was on the third try. My second attempt was actually quite demoralizing, my score dropped to 640 :(. Anyways, third times a charm!

After my second attempt I nearly gave up. I had put everything into studying. I was highly stressed and my routine was very strict. I had even given up going out on weekends and anything that I thought would impact my performance, including alcohol. I don't want to make excuses, but I also think that having to take the exam 1.5hrs away from my house didn't help (local center ws booked). That is 1.5 hours driving in a car and stressing out about the test! I highly recommend testing nearby in a place that is familiar. 2nd exam=over studying/stress and bad testing center.

What I realized is that perhaps all this added stress was taking away from my studies. I also thought that it was time to bring in further professional help, and I signed up for knewton. The 50 point guarantee or your money back was too good to pass up, it would effectively take me to 710. I signed up for the course and worked through most of it over about 1.5 months.

I revamped my study routine and began working exclusively on knewton in the comfort of my living room, often times reclining on my couch to watch videos and run problems. I would do 30-1hr at a time and than go ride my bike or go for a run and then hit the course again. I took my studying less seriously and balanced it with things I enjoyed doing and as a result my stress decreased. I didn't even do the prep exams on the course, only the homework and quizes! I worked on it all of the way up to the day of my test. Bottom line, I did not stress and I balanced the studying out with fun things.

I scheduled the test for a Tuesday afternoon. I worked a regular work day on Monday and took Tuesday off. I rolled out of bed about 1.5 hrs before the test and looked over some notes. Ate a breakfast with eggs and prepped some snack food for the test including green tea and a protein shake. On the drive over I actually knew that I would get a 710, very strange right? The test was at the same test center as my first test and the exam administrator recognized me.

Test went very smoothly and I didn't drink too many liquids ;). During breaks I took a big gulp of protein shake and had a sip of green tea.

When I saw the 710 flash I threw my hands in the air and I was smiling so much it hurt! The administrator asked me if I was happy with my score for which I remarked: 1 yr of studying finally paid off! 420 to 710 baby!

Thank you to everyone on this forum and knewton! My R2 applications are in and i'm awaiting good news. Fingers crossed.

by Pal22 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 am
Jnaaka, awesome score. Congrats. You would have applied to your target schools by now.
I just gave my GMAT and scored 660. Not quite happy with my score and thinking of giving another try.

Do you have any suggestion for me. I am not sure whether to choose knewton or magoosh. What i know is I need to do this in next one months. Can you suggest? Thanks.

by rahuljosh111 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 pm
Hi guys i do not have good experience of GMAT i have attempted for the second time. I have scored very less in my first attempt it was like 420. I was frustrated a lot because i was not expected this much from me.Then i have to decide to retake GMAT and i decided to do something good and in the second attempt i have got 660 in my second attempt thank god now its better than before then i have come across a website spotcollege com they people helped me a lot to get admission in (CA) now i am feeling amazing.

by jnaaka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am
Hi! I haven't logged in for a while and saw some activity on my post.

Much has occurred, I applied to Stanford, Haas, Harvard, UCLA, and USC. I received interviews from Harvard, UCLA, and USC. Was admitted to USC and UCLA.

I am now about to wrap up my first year at UCLA! All I can say is that I thought the hardest part would be behind me with the GMAT test, but the academics and recruiting are equally as challenging. Nevertheless, looking back on taking the GMAT, going to B-School has been 150% worth every drop of sweat and all the time studying. The take away from the GMAT for me wasn't the material, but the lessons I learned in dedication and perseverance, because that is just one of many challenges that I have overcome.

I'm surrounded by brilliant peers, learning amazing tools, and have opportunities at every and any company I can imagine, from Google to the big consulting firms. I have never been so busy and excited at the same time.

Keep pushing forward, do not give up, and be consistent. There is no shortcut to hardwork.