40/51 verbal and 3 rd passage, STRATEGY.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

40/51 verbal and 3 rd passage, STRATEGY.

by tanviet » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:13 am
expert, member, pls, advise.

I wish to get 750. With getting 51/51 many times on Math, I need only 40/51 verbal to have 750

The problem for me is that reading passages takes me a lot of time and some time I do not have enough time to do the third passage on the test. My question is that Can I get 40/51 when I do only the first 2 passages and ignore the 3 rd passages and do the rest of the test ? More specifically, Can I get 40/51 verbal when I get the first 7 reading questions right and the first 22 SC and CR questions right?

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:51 am
Hi,
The answer to your question has many ifs and buts. I am not experienced enough to answer your queries. From your post, I get the impression that you are assuming there will be 3 passages. We get 4 passages in GMAT more often than not. In addition to this, ignoring a passage most likely results in a streak of mistakes, which is detrimental to your score. Think about what happens if you have 4th passage to answer as well. Given that you are so good at SC and CR, you don't need much effort to maximize your score with some practice on RCs. You can improve your speed on RCs with practice. Ignoring an RC completely doesn't sound like a great practice for me. Try doing that in some practice tests and then you may be able to see if it is working for you.
Good Luck!
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise