This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

3 rd attempt

by karteeksai » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:05 pm
I gave my gmat 2 times
1 st time=470
2 nd time-510

I gave my first attempt hastily.Even though my mock score was on an average 580,on the real test it is 470.I took a one more month time and prepared for the exam.I wasn't consistent throughout the one month.But last ten days i took off from my work.I worked hard almost the whole for the last ten days.My mock scores were hovering around 580.I completed most of the syllabus in the last ten days.I followed mgmat strategy guides.Fortunately i saw an improvement in my mock scores in the last 4 days.
Mgmat-cat4-640
Gmat prep-Test1-680
I felt really happy that my work paid off finally.I had to sit for the exam next day.I was excited that my scores would be similar to that of mocks.I thought i did well on math.In verbal first questions were bouncers to me.They are from cr and rc.I couldn't figure out the answers .I spent lot of time on the first 10 questions.I wanted to get them correct at any cost.So i screwed up with rest of questions.I was left up with less time for remaining questions.I rushed through the remaining questions hastily.i was really shocked to see my final score.It was 510.i couldn't understand why my score was below mock scores.It happened to me twice.
Can anyone help me out with this??

I want crack the Test at any cost.But i am afraid that the same experience would repeat.I can't trust the mock scores.Because i am consistently getting below the mock score on the real test.

Will 3 rd attempt reduce my chances of getting into a good school??
Please help me out.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:24 pm
karteeksai wrote:I gave my gmat 2 times
1 st time=470
2 nd time-510

I gave my first attempt hastily.Even though my mock score was on an average 580,on the real test it is 470.I took a one more month time and prepared for the exam.I wasn't consistent throughout the one month.But last ten days i took off from my work.I worked hard almost the whole for the last ten days.My mock scores were hovering around 580.I completed most of the syllabus in the last ten days.I followed mgmat strategy guides.Fortunately i saw an improvement in my mock scores in the last 4 days.
Mgmat-cat4-640
Gmat prep-Test1-680
I felt really happy that my work paid off finally.I had to sit for the exam next day.I was excited that my scores would be similar to that of mocks.I thought i did well on math.In verbal first questions were bouncers to me.They are from cr and rc.I couldn't figure out the answers .I spent lot of time on the first 10 questions.I wanted to get them correct at any cost.So i screwed up with rest of questions.I was left up with less time for remaining questions.I rushed through the remaining questions hastily.i was really shocked to see my final score.It was 510.i couldn't understand why my score was below mock scores.It happened to me twice.
Can anyone help me out with this??

I want crack the Test at any cost.But i am afraid that the same experience would repeat.I can't trust the mock scores.Because i am consistently getting below the mock score on the real test.

Will 3 rd attempt reduce my chances of getting into a good school??
Please help me out.
1) The GMATPREPs are the best indicators of your final score that I know of, and even they have a +/- 30 point variance due to a good/bad day. I'm not sure whether that 680 is indicative (i.e. whether that was a first encounter with the GMATPREP or a retake with repeat questions which can no longer be deemed indicative), but a drop of 170 points from the GMATPREP prediction means a VERY bad day - which I would advise to forget and retake ASAP.

2) Your description of your test day also sounds like a really bad combination of test-day nerves and the mistaken belief that the first ten Qs determine your score. There is NOTHING magical about the first 10 questions. No question is holy. There's a reason there are 41 questions on the verbal section, and not just 10. As your own experience indicates, you can spend much time on the first ten and still royally screw your score by making a slew of mistakes on the rest due to rushing. Give each question the time that it's due - no more, but no less. If something just doesn't "click", skip and move on.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com