2016 OG SC 109

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

2016 OG SC 109

by Crystal W » Thu May 26, 2016 6:38 pm
EI Nino, the periodic abnormal warming of the sea surface off Peru, is a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the warm water that is accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.
This is the right sentence. I believe "in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine" is the attribute clause, which modifies "a phenomenon". The simple sentence structure is "EI Nino is a phenomenon to allow the warm water to flow back to the east". Am I correct?
Thanks in advance!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:740

by nchaswal » Sat May 28, 2016 5:08 am
Dear Crystal

You answer is correct. But the simple sentence is different than what you wrote. It should be:-

Main independent clause : El Nino is a phenomenon.

The dependent clause: in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the warm water that is accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.

Note that "in which" is introducing another clause which by itself can stand alone but the whole clause including "in which" cannot stand alone. Read the line below :-

Changes in ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the water that is accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.

Above, "Changes" are the subject doing the action "combine" and the effect of action is taken by "water that is accumulated in the western Pacific". Note that "that is accumulated in the western Pacific" cannot be deleted as the modifier is an essential modifier and without which you will not know WHICH water the sentence is referring to.

Hope this makes it clear.
It is GMAT. So what?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Crystal W » Sat May 28, 2016 6:07 pm
Thank you for your reply. I understand what you say but I think two comprehension both ok. Can you tell me why I am wrong? Thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 30, 2016 3:20 am
EI Nino, the periodic abnormal warming of the sea surface off Peru, is a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the warm water that is accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.

Here, the entire clause in blue is an essential modifier serving to describe not El Nino but a phenomenon.
Since this clause is an ESSENTIAL modifier, it cannot be removed without altering the meaning of the sentence.
We can, however, remove the non-essential modifier in red.
The result is the core meaning of the sentence:
El Nino is a phenomenon in which changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine to allow the warm water that is accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.
The simple sentence structure is "EI Nino is a phenomenon to allow the warm water to flow back to the east". Am I correct?
In the OA, to allow does not refer to a phenomenon.
Rather, to allow is an ADVERB serving to modify combine, expressing WHY changes in the ocean and atmosphere COMBINE.
Question: WHY do changes in the ocean and atmosphere combine?
Answer: They combine TO ALLOW the warm water that is accumulated in the western Pacific to flow back to the east.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3