2011-2012 Darden Essay

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

2011-2012 Darden Essay

by Toddius » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 am
Have you guys seen it? It looks like a doozy. What really scares me about it is, I'm a lawyer, and it seems like it will be very difficult to put myself in the narrative. It seems more like an English comp prompt than an admissions essay. Any thoughts?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm
I agree this is tough, and surprising actually given that admissions folks are generally most keen to learn about you. This question makes that objective more challenging.

Here is the actual question:

Share your perspective on leadership in the workplace and describe how it has been shaped by the increasing influence of globalization.

If you were my client, I would advise you to recognize that there are really two parts to this question. And whereas you can't ignore part 2 (influence of globalization)I would spend at least 50%, and more likely 75% of the essay talking about your views on leadership in the workplace. And your view should be informed by mentors you have had/witnessed, mistakes you have made and corrected, theories on leadership you have read and perhaps successfully tested...The key is still the same as in other years. While still answering the question, try to fit in your most compelling examples of workplace leadership victories and learnings.

Then, tie that into what you have learned or read about globalization, the former of course is better if you indeed have personal relevant stories. Have you managed global projects, have you had to work with a global counterpart on a litigation...and what have these "global" experiences taught you about leadership versus perhaps what you thought before.

Hope this helps, and please email me at [email protected] if you would like more specific assistance.
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Toddius » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Alex - thanks for the advice. That truly is helpful.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:54 pm
My pleasure. Good Luck.

Alex
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:15 pm
There are so many aspects to leadership. Your perspective on leadership is intrinsically tied to how you lead - so the two should go hand-in-hand. The second part of the question is a context so you are really answering the first part in the context or through the prism of the second part. Ask yourself have you harnessed cultural diversity and/or demonstrated cultural intelligence either in an authoritative or influencing capacity.

So this question really depends much on your experience as well.

Enjoy your weekend,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.