12th edition OG- Problem Number 13

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

12th edition OG- Problem Number 13

by shrutib » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm
In Swartkans territory, archaeologists discovered charred bone fragments dating back one million years.
Analysis of the fragments, which came from a variety of animals, showed that they had been heated to
temperatures no higher than those produced in experimental campfires made from branches of white
stinkwood, the most common tree around Swartkans.
Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the claim
that the charred bone fragments are evidence of the use of fire by early hominids?
(A) The white stinkwood tree is used for building material by the present-day inhabitants of Swartkans.
(B) Forest fires can heat wood to a range of temperatures that occur in campfires.
(C) The bone fragments were fitted together by the archaeologists to form the complete skeletons of
several animals.
(D) Apart from the Swartkans discovery, there is reliable evidence that early hominids used fire as many as
500,000 years ago.
(E) The bone fragments were found in several distinct layers of limestone that contained primitive cutting
tools known to have been used by early hominids.

Now, the correct answer is E. I can see that rest 4 choices are not enough to strengthen the position of the claim. We can get rid of them. But is E strong enough? What should we do if none of the choices seem not strong enough? Can it really happen?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:37 pm
choice (E) definitely strengthens the argument by placing early hominids in contact with bone fragments.

hope this helps.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by umeshpatil » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:06 pm
Premise:Before 1 million years,charred bone fragments found heated in temperature LESS THAN temperature of experimental campfire.
Conclusion: Early hominids used fire in daily life(to cook food or many other purposes)

(A) The white stink wood tree is used for building material by the present-day inhabitants of Swartkans.
->out of context.
(B) Forest fires can heat wood to a range of temperatures that occur in campfires.
-> It is found than bone fragments heated less than campfire.
(C) The bone fragments were fitted together by the archaeologists to form the complete skeletons of
several animals.
->it doesn't touch the conclusion.
(D) Apart from the Swartkans discovery, there is reliable evidence that early hominids used fire as many as
500,000 years ago.
-> It doesn't use given premise in the argument.
(E) The bone fragments were found in several distinct layers of limestone that contained primitive cutting
tools known to have been used by early hominids.
->Excavation is done in limestone. Bone fragments found along with the premitive cutting tools. Bones were found burnt in the fire. This proves that hominids used fire in their daily life.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3