10yr since undergrad, 3yrs since failed CFA, 1yr since DAD..

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi everybody - new joiner here.

A bit about myself first - as nothing more charming thank spilling guts to complete strangers - but I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this forum can help me best strategize my attempt at beating the GMAT

From the title, its been a while since I graduated from my Engineering undergrad degree. Since graduating I've been working predominantly in trading and finance - Oil and Gas to be precise. About 3 years ago I was implored by my work to take the CFA - for which I registered and studied for - and failed. Between work, personal life and lack of discipline in self study I really stood no chance (I realize this in hindsight). Fortunately, firm covered all expenses. And yet more fortunately, I'm still employed by them :-) - so no harm, no loss to me.

About a year ago, I became a first-time dad. Its a continuous struggle to manage face time with boss and face time with the young un - but I'm doing well thus far. And my wife is a super human!

All that said, I've been strongly contemplating doing an MBA. Primary reason, is I want to venture into a different career path of entrepreneurship. I have enough money saved to fund for a complete MBA (executive or otherwise). I also have learnt from my past mistakes, and I have enough money saved to fund for prepping for GMAT.

SO here's where we get to...

- Aim is to get >700
- Aim is to apply for fall 2016, or winter 2016/2017 admissions
- deadlines for the schools i am interested in are rolling - with many cut off at March.
- I usually pull 10-11 hours of work, and then at least couple of hours with the kid on weekdays before he sleeps by 9ish. Thereafter, I have a window of about 90-120 mins to do some self studying.
- I've explored programs in my area, Toronto - and several courses are scheduled for late evenings (usually twice a week). As an example Veritas is offering Monday/Wednesdays for a month with 3 hours of in class teaching. Course starts in Nov, ends in Dec first week.
- Objective is to give the exam mid Dec; but this can be pushed out a month
- I haven't taken one of the sample tests, but I did take the Prep4Gmat test and scored 600 - so lots of work to be done.

With the above - my questions are

- With taking a full course, how much time does one expect to spend on self study mode to achieve a 700 plus score.
- what would be the best way to utilize the in session classroom mode? Do I study the entire course prior to attending the classroom sessions? Go with the class?
- Given my timelines, best strategy would be to push taking the exams out to Jan instead of Dec? Though I'm worried about the retention of knowledge after the course has finished.
- any resource that can really help me chart out a workflow/plan of action for the coming days/months that I can stick to as a rough guideline?
- any new parents who care to share their strategy, and how they made it work?

thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:52 am
Hi ovelskies,

It sounds like you've given this whole situation a lot of thought, which is good.

Considering everything that's going on in your life right now, I think that you should plan for a longer study period. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies before they hit their 'peak' scores, and your schedule is so 'busy' that I don't think that you've necessarily given yourself enough time to hit your score goals.

You would likely benefit from taking a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led), but before you commit to any of them, it's important to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT under realistic conditions (taking ALL sections, including the Essay and IR - away from your home, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here.

1) Which Schools do you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by ovelskies » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:16 am
thank you Rich for your response.

I will look to take a realistic condition test this weekend in my local library.

Is there a quick summary guide somewhere which I can use just to brush up some basic skills. Is this recommended before the self test CAT?

My primary schools of choice are canadian - Queens, Toronto, Western, Schulich

by ovelskies » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:32 am
looks like this coming weekend, kaplan is having a free test in my area, which I can register for. Just thinking if there is a catch to these free tests, and if they really are no strings attached...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 am
Hi ovelskies,

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of a free 'marketing event' CAT, but there are a couple of important details to consider:

1) Are you taking a FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

2) Is the Test an actual CAT or just a linear Test on a computer? If there's a follow-up after the Exam, in which an instructor reviews a couple of questions from the Test, then you probably took a linear Test (that's the only way to guarantee that ALL of the Test Takers saw the same questions).

If it's not a FULL CAT or it's a linear Test (instead of an Adaptive CAT), then the score results will likely be unrealistic (and usually that means 'inflated'). Since it's so early in your studies, in inaccurate score wouldn't be too big of an 'issue.' Your next Official CAT would likely prove to be far more meaningful in assessing your actual skills though.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by ovelskies » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 am
thanks Rich, here are the two - and from the looks of it they might be fully simulated CAT events...

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/gmat-mock-e ... 8714789439

https://www.kaptest.com/gmat/kaplan-gmat ... mat-events

Trying to do some more research around this, if these are not appetizing enough, I might just end up doing a self regulated CAT off the GMAT website.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Jennifer@Kaplan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:45 am
Hi Ovelskies,

I am happy to shed some light on the Kaplan free practice tests. It sounds like you are looking at our free online practice test this weekend, which is a fully adaptive CAT. We do skip the Analytical Writing section in our online practice tests, but IR, Quant, and Verbal are administered. At the conclusion of the test, you will receive your score, and you can access your test questions for later review for a couple of weeks. When the testing time is complete, the instructors will demonstrate some Kaplan strategies for the GMAT and finish with a brief description of what Kaplan has to offer in our program. I will openly acknowledge that you are free to stay for as much of the post-CAT review as you wish, and we do share a discount code at the end for those who are interested in Kaplan courses. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Best,
Jennifer

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm
Ovelskies.

Congrats on the process of starting this new journey. Sounds like you've done a great job in setting yourself up for an optimal testing and application process.

Rich has it right: your first step is to take a diagnostic CAT, and it's even better for you to take this prior to 'prepping' for it. Compare this to going on a weight loss program, and not weighing yourself until you have week into your new regime. Just do it and see where your score lies.

It's also great to have clarity from Jennifer WRT their CAT tests and their marketing and resources you'll have access to.

I wanted to throw my hat into the ring from the boutique private tutoring service perspective with each of your points for you to consider.

Your aim to get >700

Once we know what your diagnostic score is we can ascertain if you need support and if so, how many hours of private tutoring would be recommended. This can be compared to a course which will likely be more of a one-size-fits-all option and more hours... which MANY students benefit from. Given your work load and personal commitments, however, you might be better off with private tutoring, and even remote tutoring which can be done in 15 minute increments, which is something we offer.

Private tutoring is typically focused on fortifying a student's strengths and reversing his/her weaknesses whereas when you're in a class, you're going to have to deal with or listen to other students' challenges which won't necessarily be your concern. If you zone out during something that doesn't interest or affect you, you may miss nuggets which would be beneficial for your performance and score. Lower scoring students voicing their concerns, obviously happens in group settings. Whereas in one-on-one sessions, you'll be more engaged in an a continuous interactive relationship with learning and the tutor.

We typically recommend classroom courses for students with lower budgets to work with, or those with a good amount of time to cast a wider net on their learning process. Obviously, classroom courses benefit many people (or they wouldn't be so successful) but we find students who benefit most are often those who score in a range of low to medium and who want to get high medium to high- - but not necessarily extremely high. That is more difficult in the classroom setting and ultimately, your improvement may be dependent on how good your tutor/teacher is and what kind of fit he or she has with you and the other students.

You likely won't always know who your tutor is prior to going into a classroom course. You could get lucky and get a superstar...but more remote from major cities or top universities/colleges...the more variety you have in quality control. And when you have a grad student teaching a GMAT...which is what I did, you're not necessarily getting the best educators. Find out what kind of success your tutor for the classroom OR privately has had.

I base these opinions on my 6 years working as a Princeton Review tutor, in Ann Arbor, MI, NYC and Brooklyn, whereby I worked a lot behind the scenes championing my students who wanted to achieve top results but we couldn't spend a lot of class time dedicated to that or address many of their issues which came down to time management and anxiety relief, or getting the hardest questions correct. The smaller the big test prep company office the more streamlined their offerings usually are. That said, they often have great customer service and I'd think remote options. Find out what you'd get for your money if you take a course.

In addition to these things brought up, you might also want to gauge your reading speed because that is an area you can improve time management and performance. Also take stock in your emotional levels about the test: do you feel anxious? focused? grounded? Present? Nervous? If not on top of your game, there are many solutions to get there.

Below are more pointed answers to your questions:

Great: you're right on time but it really is time to get busy.

- deadlines for the schools i am interested in are rolling - with many cut off at March.

see above :)

- I usually pull 10-11 hours of work, and then at least couple of hours with the kid on weekdays before he sleeps by 9ish. Thereafter, I have a window of about 90-120 mins to do some self studying.

For this reason...a course seems to be more challenging to integrate into your schedule. Our tutors typically work with students at least 1x a week for 1 - 2 hours, then can be available in 15 minute blocks to answer questions or go over things.

- I've explored programs in my area, Toronto - and several courses are scheduled for late evenings (usually twice a week). As an example Veritas is offering Monday/Wednesdays for a month with 3 hours of in class teaching. Course starts in Nov, ends in Dec first week.

Private tutoring with us or others, remember are going to work with YOUR schedule. Remote tutoring gives you the opportunity to work odd times with no additional travel.

You should plan on taking the test at least 2x. Factor that into your timing.

- I haven't taken one of the sample tests, but I did take the Prep4Gmat test and scored 600 - so lots of work to be done.

Take a real GMAC test. :) What is your breakdown at this point. Another benefit that we offer, and I'd hope other folks do too, is that it's not only THAT you're getting questions wrong, it's HOW your'e getting them wrong and if there are any patterns in how you perform.

- With taking a full course, how much time does one expect to spend on self study mode to achieve a 700 plus score.

This depends on where you really start out. We typically tell students they'll study an average of 20 hours a week for 6 - 8 weeks, or the equivalent over a longer period of time.

- what would be the best way to utilize the in session classroom mode? Do I study the entire course prior to attending the classroom sessions? Go with the class?

Again: you need to gauge who you are in a classroom vs. one-on-one. We used to have a quiz to help people determine how they can best study. Listen to yourself and what sounds like the best ROI in terms of time commitment and improvements.

- Given my timelines, best strategy would be to push taking the exams out to Jan instead of Dec? Though I'm worried about the retention of knowledge after the course has finished.

Take a diagnostic. See how you're learning. This is not a decision to make without data. :)

- any resource that can really help me chart out a workflow/plan of action for the coming days/months that I can stick to as a rough guideline?

We have an awesome guide in our book about scheduling. It sounds like it would be awesome for you. I can send it in an email...I think? Or an attachment here...but Google calendar will work great too. Here is a link to our book. It would be in the Full Potential Manual part of the book which is more about the psychological, logistical and emotional aspect of taking the GMAT than the Sentence Correction content part of the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Potential-Se ... bara+sapir

I think one need not be a new parent to fully understand the pressures you're getting from all these different sources. :)

Happy to discuss further, here, on the phone/skype or via text/email.

Best,
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm
Ovelskies.

Congrats on the process of starting this new journey. Sounds like you've done a great job in setting yourself up for an optimal testing and application process.

Rich has it right: your first step is to take a diagnostic CAT, and it's even better for you to take this prior to 'prepping' for it. Compare this to going on a weight loss program, and not weighing yourself until you have week into your new regime. Just do it and see where your score lies.

It's also great to have clarity from Jennifer WRT their CAT tests and their marketing and resources you'll have access to.

I wanted to throw my hat into the ring from the boutique private tutoring service perspective with each of your points for you to consider.

Your aim to get >700

Once we know what your diagnostic score is we can ascertain if you need support and if so, how many hours of private tutoring would be recommended. This can be compared to a course which will likely be more of a one-size-fits-all option and more hours... which MANY students benefit from. Given your work load and personal commitments, however, you might be better off with private tutoring, and even remote tutoring which can be done in 15 minute increments, which is something we offer.

Private tutoring is typically focused on fortifying a student's strengths and reversing his/her weaknesses whereas when you're in a class, you're going to have to deal with or listen to other students' challenges which won't necessarily be your concern. If you zone out during something that doesn't interest or affect you, you may miss nuggets which would be beneficial for your performance and score. Lower scoring students voicing their concerns, obviously happens in group settings. Whereas in one-on-one sessions, you'll be more engaged in an a continuous interactive relationship with learning and the tutor.

We typically recommend classroom courses for students with lower budgets to work with, or those with a good amount of time to cast a wider net on their learning process. Obviously, classroom courses benefit many people (or they wouldn't be so successful) but we find students who benefit most are often those who score in a range of low to medium and who want to get high medium to high- - but not necessarily extremely high. That is more difficult in the classroom setting and ultimately, your improvement may be dependent on how good your tutor/teacher is and what kind of fit he or she has with you and the other students.

You likely won't always know who your tutor is prior to going into a classroom course. You could get lucky and get a superstar...but more remote from major cities or top universities/colleges...the more variety you have in quality control. And when you have a grad student teaching a GMAT...which is what I did, you're not necessarily getting the best educators. Find out what kind of success your tutor for the classroom OR privately has had.

I base these opinions on my 6 years working as a Princeton Review tutor, in Ann Arbor, MI, NYC and Brooklyn, whereby I worked a lot behind the scenes championing my students who wanted to achieve top results but we couldn't spend a lot of class time dedicated to that or address many of their issues which came down to time management and anxiety relief, or getting the hardest questions correct. The smaller the big test prep company office the more streamlined their offerings usually are. That said, they often have great customer service and I'd think remote options. Find out what you'd get for your money if you take a course.

In addition to these things brought up, you might also want to gauge your reading speed because that is an area you can improve time management and performance. Also take stock in your emotional levels about the test: do you feel anxious? focused? grounded? Present? Nervous? If not on top of your game, there are many solutions to get there.

Below are more pointed answers to your questions:

Great: you're right on time but it really is time to get busy.

see above :)

For this reason...a course seems to be more challenging to integrate into your schedule. Our tutors typically work with students at least 1x a week for 1 - 2 hours, then can be available in 15 minute blocks to answer questions or go over things.

Private tutoring with us or others, remember are going to work with YOUR schedule. Remote tutoring gives you the opportunity to work odd times with no additional travel.

You should plan on taking the test at least 2x. Factor that into your timing.

Take a real GMAC test. :) What is your breakdown at this point. Another benefit that we offer, and I'd hope other folks do too, is that it's not only THAT you're getting questions wrong, it's HOW your'e getting them wrong and if there are any patterns in how you perform.

This depends on where you really start out. We typically tell students they'll study an average of 20 hours a week for 6 - 8 weeks, or the equivalent over a longer period of time.

Again: you need to gauge who you are in a classroom vs. one-on-one. We used to have a quiz to help people determine how they can best study. Listen to yourself and what sounds like the best ROI in terms of time commitment and improvements.

Take a diagnostic. See how you're learning. This is not a decision to make without data. :)

We have an awesome guide in our book about scheduling. It sounds like it would be awesome for you. I can send it in an email...I think? Or an attachment here...but Google calendar will work great too. Here is a link to our book. It would be in the Full Potential Manual part of the book which is more about the psychological, logistical and emotional aspect of taking the GMAT than the Sentence Correction content part of the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Potential-Se ... bara+sapir

I think one need not be a new parent to fully understand the pressures you're getting from all these different sources. :)

Happy to discuss further, here, on the phone/skype or via text/email.

Best,
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c