1000SC Q #25

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

1000SC Q #25

by nitin360 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:46 pm
25. A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.
(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

can any one tell me what is wrong with A?
life is tragedy to those who feel and comedy to those who think

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: 1000SC Q #25

by mittalashwani13 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:15 pm
nitin360 wrote:25. A recent study of ancient clay deposits has provided new evidence supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs and many other creatures some 65 million years ago.

"that" is used to introduce a subordinate clause (i.e. a dependent clause which has it's subject and verb)

(A) supporting the theory of global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact that --- "That" is followed by a predicate... subject is missing... to make it simple "that" here is modifying "global forest fires but in A, it is wrongly modifying "a meteorite impact
(B) supporting the theory that global forest fires ignited by a meteorite impact --- CORRECT
(C) that supports the theory of global forest fires that were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(D) in support of the theory that global forest fires were ignited by a meteorite impact and that
(E) of support for the theory of a meteorite impact that ignited global forest fires and

C, D & E are wrong because of misplaced "that" or "that" is not followed by a subordinate clause

by gmattarget700 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 pm
Hi nitin360,

I would appreciate if you can share 1000 SC...do you have soft copy?

Thanks in advance..

by gmattarget700 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 pm
Can you please share 1000SC at my email id:

[email protected]

Thanks,