1 week left - last min pointers?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

1 week left - last min pointers?

by flexed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:31 pm
Hi all,

So with 6 days left til D-Day (I write the GMAT on Sept 22), I'm just looking for some last-min tips/advice. I've scoured the forums on final-week prep tips... but this is generally what I plan on doing:

(Brief History: started studying in March, so it's been about 6 months of continuous study now. I've exhausted all the MGMAT books, the entire set of Veritas books, about 15 hours with a private tutor, and most of the OG as well as a few other third-party sources.
Mock #1 - 3 months ago: GMATPrep, 540 (39Q, 26V).
Mock #2 - 1 month ago: MGMAT #1, 700 (44Q, 40V)).

----

Wed (today) - took a mock, GMATPrep, only the AWA and quant section (I was an idiot and decided to go swimming right before I took my mock... thinking it'd wake me up - unfortunately, it did just the opposite, as I was too tired to even bother with the verbal section). - Scored 47Q... ran out of time at the end so guessed on the last few Q's... I attribute it to fatigue.

Personally, I don't really see too much need to do another mock before my actual GMAT. If anything it might mess with my head, so close to the exam date. I think I've got a good grasp/handle on quant... my hit rates have been pretty solid (about 80-90% accuracy on the OG and Veritas problems), and I time all of my problem sets, making sure I generally keep within the 2 min/question rate. This is my thinking anyway. I'm also hitting about 80-85% of my SC and CR too.

So Thurs - Fri - Sat: try to just work through a bunch of problems from each area, making sure to hit each of DS-PS-SC-RC-CR each day. Maybe do the 10-10-10-10-10 set-split that many people seem to endorse here on the forums. And I'll try to go through more 700+ level questions... I've got the 198 700+ GMATPrep question set to work on, as well as the 1000 Q series sets too.

Sunday - rest day, going to an MBA fair :)

Mon - possibly a final mock CAT... unlikely... but will probably just go over final notes one last time.

Tues - rest day.

Wed - exam day.

Any thoughts/additional tips? At this point, (in hindsight) I definitely feel that I've overprepared and spent way too much time studying for this thing. I should've cut my studying off a month ago, because lately Ive been feeling as though I'm forgetting things that I would've known several weeks ago, and having to constantly review it again.

The biggest thing for me, I think, will be mental stamina on test-day. Getting a good night's sleep, making sure the mind is clear, getting myself amped, etc. will have a big part. Whenever I write mocks, I feel so restless and just don't have the adrenaline... which slows me down. Sometimes I even stare at the screen for a good 30 seconds with a blank look on my face (haha). I normally do well under pressure, so hoping that exam-day will prove to give me that extra boost to kick my mental stamina and adrenaline into overdrive. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:32 pm
Here are some thoughts:

1) Don't count on adrenaline on test day to change your score. It is rare to have this increase your score. New strategies, new techniques, better mind set can do this, though!

2) Keep pushing. You are correct that without constant attention your skills will deteriorate. I made the mistake of taking the LSAT once without having done logic games in a couple of weeks (I mean I teach the test what could go wrong?) I was out of practice and the games were tough. Don't be out of practice on any of the question types.

3) If the biggest thing you face is stamina, then you will want to take at least one additional practice tests. Sets of 10 SC, then 10 CR, etc. are not as good because you are doing one type of question for a long period. This can be easier than not knowing what is coming next. I strongly recommend additional tests. Do you have a recent score on the GMATPrep? If it has been three months, try the same GMATPrep again and save the other one for a little later or use the new one if you are going to only take one test. If you do re-use, you will get mostly different questions and you may have even forgotten a few. Just remember to let the clock run when doing a question that you recognize.

4) Also, do the AWA on each practice test!If stamina is a concern, be sure you practice the whole 3.5 hours! As other have said - some time of day as your test, same 8 minute breaks - practice like game day.

5) One thing can help two of your problems (needing stamina and the fact that you stare at the screen sometimes) and really increase your consistency. That is, have an approach for each type of problem. Develop a routine - for example, for Data Sufficiency - read the problem, indicate if is Yes/No or Specific Number type, then write down the question, then bring down any facts in the question stem, next decide which statement to evaluate first and write it down...This is just an example, you need to make sure you have your own consistent routine. No more staring at the screen because your first 30 seconds are automatic. Less mental fatigue because you give your brain short periods where you are doing something automatic. Also, this consistency will help you avoid silly mistakes.

Taking another practice test will not mess with your mind if you give yourself enough time to review the mistakes and improve.

So there are many things yet to work on as you approach test day!

Hope that helps!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by flexed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:57 pm
Thanks a lot, David! I really appreciate the insight - it was very helpful!