GMAT Pill RC Passages
21%

Total votes: 42

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Best "Reading Comprehension" Resources

by hja379 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:28 am
Hi All,

I am adding a poll that might help everyone. We end up looking, most often than not, for resources other than OG12 for improving RC skills. Please provide input about what you used and what worked best for you.

The list is what I could think of at the moment.

Caution!! OG12 and V2 are the best. This list is assuming you have already completed them or plan to do them before your exam.

Interesting Discussion:
"Ron's Take on RC99"

RC Frameworks - GMATPill:
https://www.gmatpill.com/ebook/GMATPill' ... eworks.pdf
Last edited by hja379 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by hja379 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:15 am
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/12/ ... prehension

Check out this post, if you haven't yet.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Paulrichards » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 am
My vote is for the RC99 - lots of passages, wide range of topics, 3-4 Qs per passage, great value for $15 :P

Followed by:3 members

by Black Knight » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm
This is a good poll. Would help a lot of prospective test takers evaluate the usefulness of different sources to practice RC from. To make it more comprehensive I would suggest that you also add Powerscore RC Bible to the list as a lot of people use it to practice RCs, even though it is technically a LSAT book.

I am with the RC99 btw.

Followed by:5 members

by powerpuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm
Good poll!

@hja379
What have you voted for ? I guess you have exploited all the resources available in the world for preparation :D

by hja379 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 am
powerpuff wrote:Good poll!

@hja379
What have you voted for ? I guess you have exploited all the resources available in the world for preparation :D
LOL. :-)

Unlike Math problems, no matter how many RC passages you read, it can only help and not hurt. You can atleast improve the reading ability. Today, I had a 80% accuracy rate on 6 passages I attempted. For me going back and re-reading the passage doesn't seem to work. Get it right the first attempt and spend about a 1min or less when attacking the Q's. I am going to stick to this strategy for few passages to see if it works for me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vorskl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 am
Gents,
I took the test yesterday with V38. Believe me or not, neither OG12 nor V2 are even close to the RC monsters you'll encounter at the real test. So far RC99 are the closest to the real test stuff, however, most of these passages are 'long' while I experienced 3 out of 4 RC passages being short dense stuff.

What is Phill RC passages mentioned in the poll options?

by hja379 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 pm
Vorskl wrote:Gents,
I took the test yesterday with V38. Believe me or not, neither OG12 nor V2 are even close to the RC monsters you'll encounter at the real test. So far RC99 are the closest to the real test stuff, however, most of these passages are 'long' while I experienced 3 out of 4 RC passages being short dense stuff.

What is Phill RC passages mentioned in the poll options?
https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

The explanations are methodical and you get to become the big picture reader instead of getting bogged down with details. Really helpful.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vorskl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 pm
I am dedicated to improve my Verbal score, which is trailing mainly due to inconsistent RC performance. Therefore, I am going to try various sources to boost by RC skills (and some SC skills along, as those require reading of quality stuff).

Action plan RC:
- I will try those Phill's pills for RC. There are some questions which make me staring at them as a deer - I need to get the logic of how to disqualify incorrect but plausible, attractive answer choices.

- I gonna try Total GMAT Verbal by Jeff Sackmann. His Math book is great and rather clear (discounting his obscession with probablity and combinatorics :)

- All those video lessons available at the BTG - I'll go through them

- There are some compilations of LSAT RC/1000RC passages floating around - I'll try them, why not? Extra reading won't hurt

- And... daily reading of my favorite art and feminism articles :)

I am going to retake the test towards the end of March, then I'll post my detailed debrief on relative usefullness of various sources.

by powerpuff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 am
hja379 wrote:
Unlike Math problems, no matter how many RC passages you read, it can only help and not hurt. You can atleast improve the reading ability. Today, I had a 80% accuracy rate on 6 passages I attempted. For me going back and re-reading the passage doesn't seem to work. Get it right the first attempt and spend about a 1min or less when attacking the Q's. I am going to stick to this strategy for few passages to see if it works for me.
Yeah, very true! The more you practice RC, the better you become. By the way, you seem to have used BTG Practice Questions.What do you think of BTG RCs ?

Legendary Member

by Target2009 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 am
powerpuff wrote:Yeah, very true! The more you practice RC, the better you become. By the way, you seem to have used BTG Practice Questions.What do you think of BTG RCs ?
BTG RCs are good if not the best. Though not sure if worth for $99.

My fight with RC going for a while now. Tried many stuff like LSAT RC book, veritas RC, BTG, RC99, MGMAT RC book, Real LSAT RC que etc etc.

Among all RC99 seems to be best for practice, though some time I doubt on Passage structure. I never saw 6-7 para's in any of GMAT prep Practice tests. BTG & Veritas will come after RC99. MGMAT RC book is good for understanding RC Strategies. LSAT RC book: Useless for GMAT & LSAT proactice que: Some what good for practice if run out for resources.

For RC startegies, I belive we can also refer Ron's session.

Recently, I started referring Grockit OG explanation by JIM. I usually try OG que by myself, create Passage MAP, solve all que and then refer to Jim's video explanation to verify whether I was doing right or not.

With all above ,now i manage to reach 75 to 80% accuracy.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

by hja379 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:32 pm
powerpuff wrote:
Yeah, very true! The more you practice RC, the better you become. By the way, you seem to have used BTG Practice Questions.What do you think of BTG RCs ?
Well, I don't think you should purchace BTG Qs just for RC. I always liked the BTG Qs. One reason is that, when you create a video explanation you would have to go through each answer choice in a comprehensive manner trying to explain it to the readers. And when you put that level of thought into each question, you would often end up with quality material.

Same reason why I had trouble with Grockit explanations for RC inference and General Qs. They might be correct, but the explanations didn't seem to enlighten me. I have not tried Ron's videos. Currently I am doing the GMAT Pill (RC). As mentioned above, I feel lot of effort has been put into creating the questions and the corresponding explanations.

One thing you got to watch out for, while studying RCs, is trying to go through all the 'strategies' that are out there. Trying to read too many will only end up confusing you. It is like golf, if you think too much, you'll end up nowhere. Pick a strategy that works for you and be consistent with it. Doesn't matter whether you are a big picture reader or a nit-picky one.
Among all RC99 seems to be best for practice, though some time I doubt on Passage structure. I never saw 6-7 para's in any of GMAT prep Practice tests.
I agree with 'target2009'. When I do RC99, I mentally treat the entire passage as 2-3 paragraphs. That way, the passage becomes mimetic of actual GMAT Qs.
Last edited by hja379 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by hja379 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm
We are happy to offer a special additional discount, courtesy of hja379 for BTG members for the full package.
https://www.gmatpill.com/amember/signup- ... up=-979797

---------------------
Zeke Lee
Co-Founder, The GMATPill Study Method
https://www.gmatpill.com
Quick and Painless Videos
For Busy Professionals Who Don't Have Time To Study
98%ile GMAT in 2 weeks
Check this out.

Legendary Member

by Target2009 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 pm
hja379 wrote: Currently I am doing the GMAT Pill (RC). As mentioned above, I feel lot of effort has been put into creating the questions and the corresponding explanations.
From where you are trying RCs ( i can see only 2-3 rc passages in free section), I mean did u purchased the course?
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

by hja379 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:34 pm
Membership (GMAT Pill RC) offers you more. 18 passages with video explanations. Then there are more to practice. All of them come with explanations.

Step 3: Time Yourself
Level 600 (8 passages)
Level 700 Set (8 passages)