Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

The steel industry has changed radically over the last

This topic has 2 expert replies and 6 member replies
aspirant2011 GMAT Titan Default Avatar
Posted:
1574 messages
Followed by:
12 members
The steel industry has changed radically over the last Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether.

A. as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel
    B. as large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
    C. with large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
    D. while large, integrated companies, such as Bethlehem Steel, that
    E. and large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel

OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Frankenstein GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Posted:
    1449 messages
    Followed by:
    53 members
    Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 am
    Hi,
    IMO B
    relative pronoun that is essential. So, A,E are out
    'as' is essential to convey the meaning of how the industry has radically changed.
    So, C,D are out because they change the meaning.

Cheers!

Posted:
    1574 messages
    Followed by:
    12 members
    Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 am
    Frankenstein wrote:
    Hi,
    IMO B
    'as' is essential to convey the meaning of how the industry has radically changed.

Cheers!
    I agree with you that we require "that" but don't you feel the comma structure is awkward in option B because I feel that there shouldn't be any comma between integrated companiesand such as Bethlehem Steel

MBACRACKER Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    32 messages
    Test Date:
    21 Dec
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 am
    Frankenstein wrote:
    Hi,
    IMO B

Cheers!
    U are correct. Answer is B.

Frankenstein GMAT Titan Default Avatar
    Posted:
    1449 messages
    Followed by:
    53 members
    Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:55 am
    aspirant2011 wrote:
    Frankenstein wrote:
    Hi,
    IMO B

Cheers!
    I agree with you that we require "that" but don't you feel the comma structure is awkward in option B because I feel that there shouldn't be any comma between integrated companiesand such as Bethlehem Steel
    Hi,
    I think those commas are essential because the clause is modifying companies. Even if u neglect this point, relative pronoun and meaning of sentence should make it better answer.

Cheers!

aftableo2006 Rising GMAT Star
    Posted:
    99 messages
    Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 am
    the answer is B

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm
    Got a PM on this one:

I would just echo what Frankenstein has said. I am not a big "comma" guy. On really important papers I always get someone to check on my commas for me...nevertheless I get GMAT SC right.

Commas are only there to help you on sentence correction not to be a burden. If the comma can guide you then take the hint. But here B, C, AND D all have the comma in the same place - since A and E are out with the relative clause missing you have NO CHOICE on the comma.

This sentence may be painful to you to choose B, but remember the correct answer is not necessarily a sentence you would have written - just the best of the 5!

Join Veritas 2010 Instructor of the Year Matt Douglas for G - MATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Get 7 Brand-New GMAT Practice Tests from Veritas Prep for Just $49! Veritas Prep’s computer-adaptive GMAT practice test are powered by artificial intelligence, guaranteeing that you see the most realistic GMAT questions and most accurate scores. Get Your Tests Now.
    Posted:
    1574 messages
    Followed by:
    12 members
    Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:44 am
    David@VeritasPrep wrote:
    Got a PM on this one:

I would just echo what Frankenstein has said. I am not a big "comma" guy. On really important papers I always get someone to check on my commas for me...nevertheless I get GMAT SC right.

Commas are only there to help you on sentence correction not to be a burden. If the comma can guide you then take the hint. But here B, C, AND D all have the comma in the same place - since A and E are out with the relative clause missing you have NO CHOICE on the comma.

This sentence may be painful to you to choose B, but remember the correct answer is not necessarily a sentence you would have written - just the best of the 5!
    thanks a lot david for your response Smile.........according to you,could such a confusing question prompt on main GMAT?????????

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 pm
    You have to deal with complex sentences like this one by doing what we call at Veritas "slash and burn" or I sometimes call "eliminate the clutter."

Here is the original sentence.

Quote:
    "The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether."
    Here is the sentence with the modifiers and prepositions highlighted.

"The steel industry has changed radically over the last two decades, as large, integrated companies such as Bethlehem Steel once conducted operations from mining at one end of the process to shipping at the other have greatly downsized, or in some cases shut down altogether."

Now read the sentence without the portions in red - it is simpler and cleaner. Now in this case you have to use part of the modifiers in red to make a decision but in most cases the modifiers can get out of your way.

So maybe it is a big convoluted but not bad.

Join Veritas 2010 Instructor of the Year Matt Douglas for G - MATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Thanked by: aspirant2011
    Get 7 Brand-New GMAT Practice Tests from Veritas Prep for Just $49! Veritas Prep’s computer-adaptive GMAT practice test are powered by artificial intelligence, guaranteeing that you see the most realistic GMAT questions and most accurate scores. Get Your Tests Now.

Best Conversation Starters

1 shibsriz@gmail.com 32 topics
    2 abhasjha 31 topics
    3 phanikpk 20 topics
    4 prernamalhotra 13 topics
    5 vipulgoyal 11 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

167 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow