Score calculator

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:670

Score calculator

by uptowngirl92 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:15 am
Hey guys is'nt the link posted below an accurate judge of scores??

https://www.800score.com/score2.php

I recently scored 660(Q47 V35) on the gmat prep..put these in the above score calculator and you get a 700!!

Whats up Doc?!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by alex10 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:47 am
It's not accurate. In yesterday's GMATprep I got Q38/V35 (600), which would be 610 according to that website.

by uptowngirl92 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:02 am
hmm..any other sites?

GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 am
it varies depending on the relative difficulty of the test. i dont think theres any one way to calculate it. for example, i just tried it on my actual gmat scores and it overestimated my score by 20 points. the best you can do is get a ballpark figure of where you would land

if you take a full length test, it tells you what your score would be anyway. what is the advantage of using a site like the one you posted? (not being snide, just want to know)
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

by uptowngirl92 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:31 pm
The advantage is just knowing ur target..if i know that i need mere 2 points increase for eg,.n' i'll reach to 700 its a big morale booster..i mean..TWO pts can be achieved right??

by shadowsjc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:40 pm
ah i see your logic now. unfortunately, that's not a good way to look at it. it's entirely possible to take the same test twice, get the same total # of questions right and get 2 completely different scores. this is because of the scoring and testing method that the GMAT (and all the CAT practice tests) uses. i won't describe it in detail here, but like i mentioned above, the best you'll be able get is a ballpark estimate.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 am
I find the link to be inaccurate.

I did put in my score (Q49, V38) and the result was 720 instead of 710(my real score)

Now check the link below. This guy has scored 720 with a spilt of (Q49,V41), so according to the link you provided, his score comes out to be 750. You can also try that out.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/done-with-gm ... 45079.html

So, I personally feel that GMAT prep Scores are very close indicator of actual scores. There is not much variations about others. I can't comment much about others.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TanmayShah » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:58 pm
Hello Everyone,

The following link seems to be more accurate than other links :

https://www.catprep.com/exams/gmat/gmat- ... t_score=49

Try it out and let me know!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 am
The problem with score calculators is that there are different percentages that correspond with the same scaled score. On the Quant section, there is a "high" 49 and a "low" 49 for example. So while a 49 is officially listed as the 83rd percentile, one person might receive a 49 while scoring the 81st percentile, another might score exactly the 83rd and the high 49 might correspond to an 85th percentile. So you can see that the person with the 85th percentile would likely end up with a higher overall score even though the illusion is that they scored the same on Quant as the person with the 81st percentile.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mavelous » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:39 pm
good point David. but that would only affect 10 or at most 20 points woudln't it? i think that website might be using a pool of scores from very old tests. if not (assuming it's up to date), people might be comparing their scores from more than a couple years ago. 690 in 2008 would be different from 690 in 2013, at least imo

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:37 pm
Marvelous -

Yeah, 20 points at most!

You are right. They are probably looking at older tables!

By the way Tanmay - the link above did not produce a score at all when I tried it.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by RKOOuttaNowhere » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:24 pm
Hi guys,

I was taking a diagnostic test from the Economist and scored a 710 (50Q, 39 V). However, it seems with the same breakup of scores, students are scoring a bit higher on the actual test.

Can anyone here tell me what would a score of 50Q and 39 V amount to on the real test? Would appreciate a response from any one experienced because I have referred a lot of websites and they put the range between 720 - 740.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:38 pm
Hi bhavyapabby,

When it comes to evaluating this score, there are a couple of factors to consider

1) You took an un-Official CAT that has a reasonable chance of being a bit "off" from the Official GMAT, so you might not score Q50, V39 on Test Day.
2) The GMAT has a tiny bit of a "curve" to it, so a given set of Scaled Scores could lead to an overall score that is off by 10 points in either direction.
3) Did you do anything during this CAT that would be considered non-Test-Like (skipping sections, pausing the Test, taking the CAT on a laptop, etc.)? An unrealistic experience can lead to artificially "inflated" results.
4) These days, a Q50, V39 would probably be 710 or 720, but it's unlikely to be 740.

Have you taken any of the CATs from www.mba.com (those CATs are the Official Test-maker CATs)? If so, then what were THOSE results?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by RKOOuttaNowhere » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 pm
Hey Rich,

Thanks for the wonderfully quick reply! I did give the test on a laptop, but since I have had the experience of giving one on a desktop, it doesn't bother me that much.

Conditions were perfectly test like. No compromises there.

I had given a CAT test from mba.com and scored a 680 around a week back. But I do not consider that as an accurate reflection of my ability as I started that around midnight, and by the time I was on the verge of completion, it was 3 am so I was very tired. Subsequent review of my mistakes the next morning revealed that I had not even registered what the question was asking, since I was so sleepy.

I did do a retake of the Prep 1 test again a few days before, and scored a 770. Needless to say, the score was inflated because of certain questions getting repeated, but I could accurately gauge that my true potential was somewhere between 700 and 770.

The score from the Economist was a big relief as I managed to break the 700 mark for the first time since preparation started a month and a half back.

I wanted to ask you - is the level of GMAT tests on the economist a bit more challenging than the actual GMAT? An answer to that would greatly help me know where I stand.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:36 am
I had given a CAT test from mba.com and scored a 680 around a week back. But I do not consider that as an accurate reflection of my ability as I started that around midnight, and by the time I was on the verge of completion, it was 3 am so I was very tired. Subsequent review of my mistakes the next morning revealed that I had not even registered what the question was asking, since I was so sleepy.
You should never do this. For a few reasons, #1 you do not know if this test gave you an accurate reflection as you were too tired and #2 when you retook the test it was not accurate as you saw repeated questions. #3 unless you typically go to sleep at 3AM you have actually disrupted your sleep pattern and this can throw you off mentally for several days.

That 3rd statement is true. Recent research into sleep patterns has shown that even varying the time you go to sleep OR the time you wake up by 1 hour can show effects on your cognitive performance days later. (It is like the ripple effect in traffic. If there is an accident in the morning there will still be a traffic delay in the same spot hours after the accident is cleared). And there is no such thing as "making up" sleep.

To quote The Organized Mind by neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin:

"At one time or another you probably thought that if you could only sleep less you could get more done. Or that you could just borrow time by sleeping one hour less tonight and one hour more tomorrow night. As enticing as these seem, they're not borne out by research. Sleep is among the most critical factors for peak performance, memory, productivity, immune function, and mood regulation."

"Going to bed just one hour late one night, or sleeping in for just an hour or two one morning, can affect your productivity, immune function, and mood significantly for several days after the irregularity."

I wanted to ask you - is the level of GMAT tests on the economist a bit more challenging than the actual GMAT? An answer to that would greatly help me know where I stand.

I am not aware of the pattern for the Economist tests. I am not sure how there scores relate to the actual GMAT. The Veritas Prep practice tests are based on about 8 million actual student responses and are based on Item Response Theory - the same basis for the actual GMAT exam's scoring algorithm. And even then people can score differently.

So you have three exams and none of them can actually give us a way to predict your score other than to say that you will likely score above a 680!

Have you taken the second GMATPrep exam?

Veritas Prep Reviews