Oil Leak

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:41 pm
startgmat wrote:Hope u guys don't mind for opening this thread after a long time ...
@Ron I have one doubt..

In option C
In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico,
and its cargo of 750,000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting
the city's beaches.

we are using 'AND' to separate two consequential events...
is it correct here..
the difference is that those are still two events IN A SEQUENCE. this is what makes the use of "and" appropriate. generally, the -ING modifier is used for a consequence that's immediate and inherently part of the preceding action.
i.e.
* "running aground" and "leaking oil" are not the same action; they are two distinct things that occur in sequence. obviously, there's a causal relationship there -- the boat leaked oil because it ran aground -- but there are still 2 distinct events.
* on the other hand, "leaking oil" and "polluting..." are actually the same event. they are two different perspectives on that event, but they are exactly the same event: the pollution IS the oil spill.

here's another example of the same type of thing:
Mario broke a glass and yelled curse words, offending his grandmother.
--> "broke a glass AND yelled curse words" are actually two different, separate actions, even though the first is the cause of the second.
--> "yelled curse words" IS how mario offended his grandmother. since these are the same thing, "and" would be inappropriate; the -ing modifier is better.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mv12 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am
C it is

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by biker317 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 pm
lunarpower wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:Would it have been correct to say i.e. removing "while" from A ?

"leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, causing the pollution of"

no. you can't use two comma+ing modifiers in a row.
Ron, Please help me understand, if this is a rule (above) that applies to 2 successive modifiers then in this example
https://www.beatthegmat.com/difficult-pa ... 87589.html
the sentence structure appears to be: Clause 1, ING Modifier 1, ING Modifier 2
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff (Clause 1)
hissing and rearing back (Mod 1)
broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes (Mod 2)

Please tell me it's an exception to the rule so I can sleep well.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 am
biker317 wrote:Please tell me it's an exception to the rule so I can sleep well.
yeah, the problem you quoted has a weird construction.
however, that problem gives you a choice between (1) a construction with two consecutive -ing modifiers, in the last three choices, and (2) a construction that's rather blatantly incorrect (containing a verb that's parallel to ... well, nothing), in the first two choices. so, this is really a non-issue in that problem.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by info2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:28 am
lunarpower wrote:
bvn wrote:Hi Ron, as I checked up in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5th Edition, It do have Request sb to do sth.
hmm.
the longman dictionary isn't the most reliable source in the world. for instance, on that same page (if you look up "request"), it gives the following as one of its examples:
*The prosecution has requested that all charges against Hodgkins are dropped

this is actually 100% incorrect; in this instance, we have to use the command subjunctive:
The prosecution has requested that all charges against Hodgkins be dropped.

i've also noticed a few other sloppy/incorrect examples in the same source. it's not totally worthless, but it's also not consistently reliable.

i stand by my assertion that "request PERSON to do something" is incorrect. (i'm open to official counterevidence -- i.e., please let me know if you find a counterexample in GMATPREP or OG's.)

Hi Ron

Thanks for everything you post on the forums. Just a side question Can you please suggest which dictionary is best as a reference work for writers /editors?
Thanks