MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh

I don't have the right books, what do I do?

This topic has 18 expert replies and 30 member replies
Goto page Previous Next
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:44 am
simmis wrote:
I have the Official Guide 12th Edition materials - bought them a few months ago. Will this still work with the excel progress tracking spreadsheet? If not, is there one for OG12?
A progress chart for the OG 12 can be found at the bottom of: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log

Cheers,
Brent

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
casalily Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
13 messages
Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 am
I feel like this question might have already been asked in many different ways but I wanted to clarify. I'm currently starting the 60 day GMAT study guide and was wondering if the Manhattan 4th Ed Study Guide Set would work just as well as the 5th edition? I'm aware that it's missing the IR section but would it work for all other sections?

Additionally, if I didn't get the 5th edition IR Section and just combined the Manhattan 4th ed set with the OG 13th ed and 2nd verbal and quat, would that work for the 60 day plan and would the IR section in the OG be sufficient?

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:58 am
casalily wrote:
I feel like this question might have already been asked in many different ways but I wanted to clarify. I'm currently starting the 60 day GMAT study guide and was wondering if the Manhattan 4th Ed Study Guide Set would work just as well as the 5th edition? I'm aware that it's missing the IR section but would it work for all other sections?

Additionally, if I didn't get the 5th edition IR Section and just combined the Manhattan 4th ed set with the OG 13th ed and 2nd verbal and quat, would that work for the 60 day plan and would the IR section in the OG be sufficient?
These are good questions, casalily.

On many days, it will be easy to use the MGMAT 4th edition books, although you'll still need to do a bit of hunting to find the relevant chapter in the 5th edition books. Other days will be tough because MGMAT has renamed some chapters and consolidated others. That said, I think you'll manage fine.

The MGMAT 4th edition doesn't mention IR, and the Official GMAT books aren't big on IR instruction. However, you can learn quite a bit through the IR forum on BTG. So that may be sufficient.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
dannya Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
15 messages
Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 am
Brent,

I recently signed up for the 60 day study plan. I purchased the set of quant books from Manhattan GMAT (5th edition) and I am working with the 12th edition of the Official Guide. Do you think these study materials will be sufficient in order to keep up with the 60 day study program ?

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 am
dannya wrote:
Brent,

I recently signed up for the 60 day study plan. I purchased the set of quant books from Manhattan GMAT (5th edition) and I am working with the 12th edition of the Official Guide. Do you think these study materials will be sufficient in order to keep up with the 60 day study program ?
Hi Dan,

Sorry, but BTG no longer offers the Study Guide that uses the OG12. That said, you can still follow the Guide. The only difference is that you'll have to search for OG12 questions that are related to the topic of the day.

Cheers,
Brent

dannya Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
15 messages
Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 am
Excellent. Thanks so much for the prompt response. I've saved a copy of the progress chart for the OG 12th edition as well.

cuddytime Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:38 pm
Hi Brent,

What would be the equivalent topic for Linear Equations if you're using MGMAT 4th ed?

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:44 am
cuddytime wrote:
Hi Brent,

What would be the equivalent topic for Linear Equations if you're using MGMAT 4th ed?
In the MGMAT 4th edition, that topic is covered in chapter 1 of guidebook #3.

Cheers,
Brent

Val911 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages
Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 am
Hi I know this question has been asked before, but how different are MGMAT 5th edition guides from the 4th Edition? I've downloaded the package of all MGMAT's 4th edition guides for free but I did not manage to find anything on the 5th edition guides.. If there is more than 10% difference between the edition, i would need to purchase the 5th edition guides as I aspire to do well on the test and get the latest tips/strategies! Also, can anyone tell me if there is a place where I could download the 5th edition guides? Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Val911 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages
Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 pm
No Replies?? Really?? Is anybody using the 60 day Study Plan?

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:27 pm
Val911 wrote:
Hi I know this question has been asked before, but how different are MGMAT 5th edition guides from the 4th Edition? I've downloaded the package of all MGMAT's 4th edition guides for free but I did not manage to find anything on the 5th edition guides.. If there is more than 10% difference between the edition, i would need to purchase the 5th edition guides as I aspire to do well on the test and get the latest tips/strategies! Also, can anyone tell me if there is a place where I could download the 5th edition guides? Your feedback would be much appreciated!
I haven't performed a page-by-page analysis, but I think there's about a 10% difference.
Plus the 5th edition covers Integrated Reasoning and the 4th edition doesn't.

Cheers,
Brent

twinkle1234 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
14 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:13 am
I have the OG 12th edition instead of the 13th. Is there a lot of difference between the two, except the IR section?

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:06 am
swatigulati wrote:
I have the OG 12th edition instead of the 13th. Is there a lot of difference between the two, except the IR section?
They're pretty similar. With the exception of the IR section, the OG12 is a sufficient resource to help you prepare.
Plus you'll find tons (all) of the OG13 questions posted throughout the BTG forum.

Cheers,
Brent

tanvis1120 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posted:
95 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Target GMAT Score:
Post Sat May 31, 2014 8:12 am
First of all, Thanks Brent for coming up with a 60-day plan ! I got my Day 1 email today. I wouldn't say entirely, but I am mostly aware of the GMAT pattern by now. I have covered the Kaplan GMAT Premier 2014. I am now starting with the tests. But, unfortunately I had a gap of almost 2 months, due to workload and so, I signed up for this plan. Smile
Now, if there is something in the mail saying complete some xyz diag test and I don't have that book, what do I do?
Also Brent, I have GMAT date on Sept 27th. I can manage hardly 2 hours everyday as I am working and 4-5 hours on weekends. Could you please suggest me some plan wherein I can go through some really exhaustive diag tests? I am open to changing materials, but at least I need sometime (you may suggest) so as to figure out where I stand right now.

Thank You Brent & Team !
Awaiting reply
Tanvi

tanvis1120 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posted:
95 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Target GMAT Score:
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:53 pm
Please Reply Brent !!! Sad

Best Conversation Starters

1 LUANDATO 127 topics
2 lheiannie07 87 topics
3 Roland2rule 79 topics
4 AAPL 78 topics
5 swerve 70 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

162 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

121 posts
3 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

121 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

120 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

116 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts