• Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT

I don't have the right books, what do I do?

This topic has 18 expert replies and 30 member replies
Goto page Previous Next
Goalsb4hos Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Posted:
7 messages
Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:36 pm
beatthegmat wrote:
Thanks so much for the quick response! This is such an amazing resource.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 pm
Happy to help! And welcome to the Beat The GMAT community, by the way! Smile

_________________
Sorin Istrate - Community Manager

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

angry.birds Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
29 Jun 2011
Posted:
6 messages
Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:19 pm
Hi Eric,

My 60 day guide will start tomorrow. I have a few questions on books. It would be great if you/Dana could answer them.

The guide talks about a lot of referals. I am planning to stick to only OG 12, Kaplan GMAT Premier 2012 edition (couldn't find the 2011 edition), Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR.

Will the mails refer to only these books? (I am assuming, Yes, since other are add on's)

Plus the books which I have are way too much I believe, if I redo them time and again, will that suffice?

Hopin to hear from you.

Thanks.

abhisays Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Joined
29 Nov 2009
Posted:
54 messages
Thanked:
4 times
Test Date:
Not Decided
Target GMAT Score:
750
GMAT Score:
N.A
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 am
angry.birds wrote:
Hi Eric,

My 60 day guide will start tomorrow. I have a few questions on books. It would be great if you/Dana could answer them.

The guide talks about a lot of referalsKaplan GMAT Premier 2012 edition (couldn't find the 2011 edition). I am planning to stick to only OG 12, , Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR.

Will the mails refer to only these books? (I am assuming, Yes, since other are add on's)

Plus the books which I have are way too much I believe, if I redo them time and again, will that suffice?

Hopin to hear from you.

Thanks.
I am also facing the same issue. I couldn't find 2011 edition of Kaplan.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 am
You should be able to follow along even if you don't have the books. With different books, you won't be able to follow along the page numbers for each of the specific books in the guide we mention, but you can modify with the materials you do have. We're very clear in the guide about the concepts that we're covering, and the types of questions.

Good luck!

_________________
Sorin Istrate - Community Manager

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Thanked by: angry.birds
Asher Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
06 Apr 2011
Posted:
27 messages
Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:07 pm
Hi,

For, (GMAC’s Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review & GMAC’s Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review)

I don't have the 2nd edition but i think the 1st edition (i.e. the cover with a lighter shade of green)

Wanted to know if the queation #, for the extra practice bit,in both the editions are the same.

Thanks

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:42 am
Asher wrote:
Hi,

For, (GMAC’s Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review & GMAC’s Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review)

I don't have the 2nd edition but i think the 1st edition (i.e. the cover with a lighter shade of green)

Wanted to know if the queation #, for the extra practice bit,in both the editions are the same.

Thanks
Hi Asher,

Editions 1 and 2 have different questions. So, if you want to follow the Study Guide, you will need edition 2 for the extra practice questions.

That said, you can always save your 1st edition book to the end and use it as a source for extra practice questions.

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Founder of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Asher Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
06 Apr 2011
Posted:
27 messages
Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Asher wrote:
Hi,

For, (GMAC’s Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review & GMAC’s Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review)

I don't have the 2nd edition but i think the 1st edition (i.e. the cover with a lighter shade of green)

Wanted to know if the queation #, for the extra practice bit,in both the editions are the same.

Thanks
Hi Asher,

Editions 1 and 2 have different questions. So, if you want to follow the Study Guide, you will need edition 2 for the extra practice questions.

That said, you can always save your 1st edition book to the end and use it as a source for extra practice questions.

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks Brent. Will go ahead and order the books.

suyashgupta0562 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
25 Aug 2011
Posted:
10 messages
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:56 am
Hi Brent,

First of all, thank you so much for this brilliant plan. I am still at Day 10 and haven't reached the verbal section as yet.

I am currently doing only the OG 12 and additional reinforcement from the OG Quant Review, 2nd Edition along with watching the links to the free videos and articles on BTG I also have the Kaplan Premier 2012 and though it has come in use just once yet, I read that it shall come to more use in days to come.

I want to score a 750+ and am willing to put in more effort than required in the 60 Day Plan. Would you advise purchasing extra books like from the Manhattan Series or Powerscore etc.

Till end iof Day 10 and only Quant problems attempted as per the Error tracking tool I am at 87% accuracy.

Thanks,
Suyash.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am
suyashgupta0562 wrote:
Hi Brent,

First of all, thank you so much for this brilliant plan. I am still at Day 10 and haven't reached the verbal section as yet.

I am currently doing only the OG 12 and additional reinforcement from the OG Quant Review, 2nd Edition along with watching the links to the free videos and articles on BTG I also have the Kaplan Premier 2012 and though it has come in use just once yet, I read that it shall come to more use in days to come.

I want to score a 750+ and am willing to put in more effort than required in the 60 Day Plan. Would you advise purchasing extra books like from the Manhattan Series or Powerscore etc.

Till end iof Day 10 and only Quant problems attempted as per the Error tracking tool I am at 87% accuracy.

Thanks,
Suyash.
As far as purchasing extra materials, I suggest waiting until you have completed the materials (the last day of new materials is Day 42), and you have taken some practice tests.

At that point, you may already be scoring 750+, at which point you need only book a test date.
If you are not scoring 750+ you can purchase additional materials based on any weaknesses you need to work on.

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Founder of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

Thanked by: suyashgupta0562
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
suyashgupta0562 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
25 Aug 2011
Posted:
10 messages
Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 am
Thanks Brent.

If I wait till Day 42, will it not be too late for me to work out weaker topics from other books?

I have booked my Test date on Day 64, four days after completing the study plan.

I scored a 710 (q47, v41) on GMATPrep Test 1 now eagerly awaiting the next practice test.

I have been following your daily mails to the 'T', just wondering whether I should just continue doing that or take on extra work especially, like giving more tests to complement the plan and complete my GMAT study right from 'A to Z' and work my way to a great score as I need it to offset an average GPA.

Thanks,
Suyash[/quote]

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 am
suyashgupta0562 wrote:
Thanks Brent.

If I wait till Day 42, will it not be too late for me to work out weaker topics from other books?

I have booked my Test date on Day 64, four days after completing the study plan.

I scored a 710 (q47, v41) on GMATPrep Test 1 now eagerly awaiting the next practice test.

I have been following your daily mails to the 'T', just wondering whether I should just continue doing that or take on extra work especially, like giving more tests to complement the plan and complete my GMAT study right from 'A to Z' and work my way to a great score as I need it to offset an average GPA.

Thanks,
Suyash
[/quote]Wow, 710 is an awesome "starting" score!! I can't help but think, by day 42, you'll already be at 750+ (without purchasing extra materials). If not, you'll still have 2 weeks remaining to strengthen any weaknesses.

If you identify certain weaknesses during the first 42, you might want to work on them concurrently (if you have the time).

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Founder of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

Thanked by: suyashgupta0562
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
suyashgupta0562 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
25 Aug 2011
Posted:
10 messages
Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:30 am
Your awesome, Brent!

I did go through the outline of the mails and looks like your plan should cover everything till D Day.

Have realized that I am slow at DS so shall practice that more and go through some DS strategy. Nervous about the verbal part.

Needless to say that I look forward to your daily mail each day!

Cheers!
Suyash

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:20 am
suyashgupta0562 wrote:
Your awesome, Brent!

I did go through the outline of the mails and looks like your plan should cover everything till D Day.

Have realized that I am slow at DS so shall practice that more and go through some DS strategy. Nervous about the verbal part.

Needless to say that I look forward to your daily mail each day!

Cheers!
Suyash
You're not alone; everyone struggles with DS at first.

Best of luck with your studies.

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Founder of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
simmis Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
19 Jun 2012
Posted:
1 messages
Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:42 am
I have the Official Guide 12th Edition materials - bought them a few months ago. Will this still work with the excel progress tracking spreadsheet? If not, is there one for OG12?

Best Conversation Starters

1 LUANDATO 157 topics
2 lheiannie07 87 topics
3 Roland2rule 75 topics
4 ardz24 64 topics
5 AAPL 58 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

163 posts
2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

133 posts
3 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

128 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

121 posts
5 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

100 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts