00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In E, being is not a modifier but a GERUND -- a verb functioning as a noun -- and is the subject of the verb is:

BEING heavily committed...IS likely to make an executive miss signs...

Thanks Mitch for your brilliant explaination on E, but i find it hard to differentiate modifier and gerund like this..."being heavily committed..." seems so much like a opening modifier. What should I consider when I come across a similar situation next time?

I have another question about the verb tense here. In E, there are both "in the past" and "has worked", but i wonder "in the past" is a sign for simple past tense?

My understanding to the confusion: present perfect means that the effect is still relevant(that is, "worked well" still remains true right now). In fact, the effect remains true for a long time, e.g for the past year, and that period is in the past, so these two tenses can be used together.

Hope I made myself clear!

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR ANSWER!

Thanks& Regards
Camilla

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aamenn wrote:
In E, being is not a modifier but a GERUND -- a verb functioning as a noun -- and is the subject of the verb is:

BEING heavily committed...IS likely to make an executive miss signs...

Thanks Mitch for your brilliant explaination on E, but i find it hard to differentiate modifier and gerund like this..."being heavily committed..." seems so much like a opening modifier. What should I consider when I come across a similar situation next time?

I have another question about the verb tense here. In E, there are both "in the past" and "has worked", but i wonder "in the past" is a sign for simple past tense?

My understanding to the confusion: present perfect means that the effect is still relevant(that is, "worked well" still remains true right now). In fact, the effect remains true for a long time, e.g for the past year, and that period is in the past, so these two tenses can be used together.

Hope I made myself clear!

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR ANSWER!

Thanks& Regards
Camilla

Whenever you see an underlined verb, ISOLATE THE SUBJECT of that verb.
Pay attention to MEANING as well as grammar.
In E, the underlined portion includes is.
This verb requires a subject.
According to E, SOMETHING is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble.
The only subject that makes any sense -- grammatically and semantically -- is the opening phrase:
BEING HEAVILY COMMITTED TO A COURSE OF ACTION is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble.

One use of the present perfect is to describe the present in terms of an action that occurred at an INDEFINITE TIME IN THE PAST.
Incorrect: a course of action that has worked well YESTERDAY.
Here, a definite time is specified -- YESTERDAY -- so the present perfect cannot be used.
Correct: a course of action that has worked well IN THE PAST.
Here, no definite time is specified -- IN THE PAST does not imply a particular moment in time -- so the use of the present perfect is justified.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aamenn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:38 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Whenever you see an underlined verb, ISOLATE THE SUBJECT of that verb.
Pay attention to MEANING as well as grammar.
In E, the underlined portion includes is.
This verb requires a subject.
According to E, SOMETHING is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble.
The only subject that makes any sense -- grammatically and semantically -- is the opening phrase:
BEING HEAVILY COMMITTED TO A COURSE OF ACTION is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble.

One use of the present perfect is to describe the present in terms of an action that occurred at an INDEFINITE TIME IN THE PAST.
Incorrect: a course of action that has worked well YESTERDAY.
Here, a definite time is specified -- YESTERDAY -- so the present perfect cannot be used.
Correct: a course of action that has worked well IN THE PAST.
Here, no definite time is specified -- IN THE PAST does not imply a particular moment in time -- so the use of the present perfect is justified.
Mitch, thank you so much for your inputs!
I understand my questions now!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Answer is E
Hi Mitch - I think, the option D has got another ERROR of PRONOUN AMBIGUITY.

First them seems to refer to Executives', whereas they and the second them BOTH seem to refer to signs of incipient trouble.

But, in GMAT, any subject/object pronoun of same GROUP MUST REFER to the SAME ANTECEDENT. Right ?

Correct me please of wrong!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:04 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Mitch - could you please share your thoughts on my above concerns ?

Look forward to know your feedback. Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote: First them seems to refer to Executives', whereas they and the second them BOTH seem to refer to signs of incipient trouble.

But, in GMAT, any subject/object pronoun of same GROUP MUST REFER to the SAME ANTECEDENT. Right ?

Correct me please of wrong!
This line of reasoning is valid.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by fabiocafarelli » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The problem is that the clause especially if it has worked well in the past has been stuck at the end of the option. The sentence does not have a grammatical or idiomatic mistake (IT has nothing to refer to except COURSE OF ACTION, and so clearly does not refer to the plural SIGNS, and therefore is correct) but its syntax is ineffective. It would be perfectly good if it were reorganized, thus:
An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear.
In other words, modifying phrases and clauses should be kept as close as possible to the words they are intended to modify, and not just stuck on at the end like a kind of afterthought.
Last edited by fabiocafarelli on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:2 members

by fabiocafarelli » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:27 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

On the question of ONES, the following situations apply:
1. Phrases such as WHICH ONES and THESE ONES. In both cases, ONES adds nothing to the idea and so can be dropped. I think I'll have these means the same as I think I'll have these ones, and is better, because it is more succinct.

2. ONES is used in reference to something previously named when a characteristic of that thing (an adjective) is inserted before ONES. Thus, The batch of apples looked fine after we had thrown out the BAD ONES. The questions in the test were tough and the candidate made numerous mistakes in the HARDEST ONES. The sentences use ONES to avoid repeating APPLES and QUESTIONS, and precede it in each case with an adjective.

3. ONES can also be used as a pronoun when some kind of descriptive phrase or clause follows it. Thus, When a professional runner buys training shoes, he or she must choose ones that will take a lot of wear and tear. (This usage is more colloquial and is unlikely to appear in Sentence Correction, except perhaps in an option with some actual mistake. In the example just given, the GMAT would prefer THOSE.)

4. ONES cannot be used directly and without description of any kind, as in option B of this question. That is why THEM would be required here. It is also why, in other contexts, THEM or THESE or THOSE or SOME or ANY would be used instead of ONES. Thus, Would you like ONES? is incorrect (and absurd). Would you like SOME?, on the other hand, is fine.

If you like this post, please click on the THANK button.

You can also visit us at https://www.xgmat.com/

by Crystal W » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
sachin_yadav wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: In B, an executive...makes missing signs of incipient trouble...likely does not convey the intended meaning. It is not the EXECUTIVE himself but the COMMITMENT TO A COURSE OF ACTION that is causing the problems discussed in this SC. Eliminate B.
Thanks Mitch.

Certainly, the answer is E, and B changes the meaning of the sentence, but what about "ones" in B. Is "ones" incorrect ?

What if there were "ones" in the answer choice E, then the choice E would have been correct ?

Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret ones when they do appear.

Now, I have replaced "them" with "ones". Is this correct ? ("Them" is referring to "signs", so "ones" refers to "signs")

I am confused with "ones". I believe "ones" is plural and can be used if "them" is not mentioned in the sentence. I might be wrong, but if i am wrong, then why i am wrong ?

Why "them", and why not "ones" ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Sachin
Ones is used to refer to select members of a group:

Please put the clean dishes in the cabinet and the dirty ones in the sink.

In the SC above, ones would imply that the executive is misinterpreting only a few specific signs of incipient trouble; which ONES is he misinterpreting? Since we don't know, ones is inappropriate.

I would be skeptical of an answer choice that uses ones, which seems a bit informal for the GMAT.
Thank you for your explanation, but I still have some questions about referring. In choice A, what's the second it refers to? Do you think it should be change to him to refer an executive? IN choice C and D, what the them refers to ?
Thanks in advance!

by Crystal W » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
sachin_yadav wrote:Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Answer is E

Hi Everyone,

At first this question seems tough to me but after understanding and spending more time than the usual time of attempting each SC question I got this correct. But I was not able to understand choice B completely. Well choice B is not the answer of this question, but I am not able to understand why the usage of "ones" is incorrect? Why "ones" cannot refer to signs?

I read in one of the posts that the usage of "ones" in choice B is incorrect, and it should be "them", not "ones".

I understand that "them" is also correct as it is plural that refers to "signs", but why can't it be "ones". This is also plural.

Looking forward to all of your replies.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin.
In A, it could refer to commitment or to course of action. Eliminate A.

In C, it lacks a clear antecedent. The nearest preceding singular noun is trouble, but the desired antecedent is course of action, which is placed too far from it. Eliminate C.

In D, them cannot be used to refer to executives', which is not a noun but an adjective. Eliminate D.

In B, an executive...makes missing signs of incipient trouble...likely does not convey the intended meaning. It is not the EXECUTIVE himself but the COMMITMENT TO A COURSE OF ACTION that is causing the problems discussed in this SC. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is E.
Thank you for your explanation, but I still have some questions about referring. In choice A, what's the second it refers to? Do you think it should be change to him to refer an executive? IN choice C and D, what the them refers to ?
Thanks in advance!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sagarock » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

mitch sir,very well explained but i want to know the role of adverb 'especially' here.what is it modifying?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sagarock wrote:mitch sir,very well explained but i want to know the role of adverb 'especially' here.what is it modifying?
especially is an INTENSIFIER.
It indicates that what follows is a SPECIAL CASE -- a case that is more relevant or true than other cases.
OA: Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past
Here, especially indicates that the portion in blue is a special case.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sagarock » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sorry mitch sir, pardon my ignorance but can you please tell me other intensifier adverbs that can do the same?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:37 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sagarock wrote:sorry mitch sir, pardon my ignorance but can you please tell me other intensifier adverbs that can do the same?
SC121 in the OG12:
A report linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.
An SC in GMATPrep:
That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably.
The words in blue are intensifiers similar to especially.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
sachin_yadav wrote:Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Answer is E

Hi Everyone,

At first this question seems tough to me but after understanding and spending more time than the usual time of attempting each SC question I got this correct. But I was not able to understand choice B completely. Well choice B is not the answer of this question, but I am not able to understand why the usage of "ones" is incorrect? Why "ones" cannot refer to signs?

I read in one of the posts that the usage of "ones" in choice B is incorrect, and it should be "them", not "ones".

I understand that "them" is also correct as it is plural that refers to "signs", but why can't it be "ones". This is also plural.

Looking forward to all of your replies.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin.

In B, an executive...makes missing signs of incipient trouble...likely does not convey the intended meaning. It is not the EXECUTIVE himself but the COMMITMENT TO A COURSE OF ACTION that is causing the problems discussed in this SC. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is E.
Dear GMATGuru,

In choice B, regardless of meaning and problem of ones, does the following construction work?

An executive....makes misinterpreting them.....please not my focus is the verb 'makes' + misinterpreting' NOT the pronoun them or ones.

I think it should be:

An executive....makes misinterpretation of them

Am i correct?