• Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer

Heavy commitment by an executive

This topic has 8 expert replies and 22 member replies
Goto page Next
sachin_yadav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
06 Dec 2010
Posted:
212 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
5
Target GMAT Score:
720

Heavy commitment by an executive

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 am
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.


A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Answer is E

Hi Everyone,

At first this question seems tough to me but after understanding and spending more time than the usual time of attempting each SC question I got this correct. But I was not able to understand choice B completely. Well choice B is not the answer of this question, but I am not able to understand why the usage of “ones” is incorrect? Why “ones” cannot refer to signs?

I read in one of the posts that the usage of “ones” in choice B is incorrect, and it should be “them”, not “ones”.

I understand that “them” is also correct as it is plural that refers to “signs”, but why can’t it be “ones”. This is also plural.

Looking forward to all of your replies.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
cans Legendary Member
Joined
04 Apr 2011
Posted:
1309 messages
Followed by:
122 members
Upvotes:
310
Test Date:
13th Oct
Target GMAT Score:
750+
GMAT Score:
750
Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 am
IMO E
ones is not a correct word. one eats one's dinner (notice apostrophe)

_________________
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button Wink

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
krazyjenius@gmail.com

Cans!!

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: AManukyan
avik.ch Legendary Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Posted:
641 messages
Followed by:
32 members
Upvotes:
149
Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 am
The only difference between B and E is not "them" and "ones". There is a meaning problem between the two,

b ) An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

-Here Likely is wrongly placed modifier. The sentence refers that - an executives always makes missing sign ( it changes the meaning as per original sentence )



Some expert guidance is required regarding "ones" and "them". But as per this sentence they are not the only criteria of elimination.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: darwin, estela.barbosa
sachin_yadav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
06 Dec 2010
Posted:
212 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
5
Target GMAT Score:
720
Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:40 am
avik.ch wrote:
The only difference between B and E is not "them" and "ones". There is a meaning problem between the two,

Some expert guidance is required regarding "ones" and "them". But as per this sentence they are not the only criteria of elimination.
Thanks avik.ch. You are absolutely correct that there is a meaning issue here, and this choice can be easily eliminated on this base.

But my doubt is strictly on "ones" and "them"

I believe both of them are plural, so both of them should be correct.

cans wrote:
IMO E
ones is not a correct word. one eats one's dinner (notice apostrophe)
Thanks Can, but i am not able to understand your explanation.

Here's a link that i am talking about. I am not able to understand why "ones" is wrong here, and why only "them" is correct here ? (I thought both are plurals)

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/heavy-commitment-by-an-executive-to-a-course-of-action-t3173.html

(Explanation of "ones" is given in the first page)

Please need an expert reply

Thanks & Regards
Sachin

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: vinni.k
avik.ch Legendary Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Posted:
641 messages
Followed by:
32 members
Upvotes:
149
Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 am
sachin_yadav wrote:
avik.ch wrote:
The only difference between B and E is not "them" and "ones". There is a meaning problem between the two,

Some expert guidance is required regarding "ones" and "them". But as per this sentence they are not the only criteria of elimination.
Thanks avik.ch. You are absolutely correct that there is a meaning issue here, and this choice can be easily eliminated on this base.

But my doubt is strictly on "ones" and "them"

I believe both of them are plural, so both of them should be correct.

Sachin
I remember that once Ron stated that "them" should be used. But Why ?
I couldnt find any explanation for that. I went on eliminating answer choice B from meaning perspective.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
vinni.k Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Posted:
335 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
6
Test Date:
2016
Target GMAT Score:
700+
GMAT Score:
620
Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 am
Bingo...At least someone asked about it.

Will keep track on this.

Vinni

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:22 am
sachin_yadav wrote:
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.


A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Answer is E

Hi Everyone,

At first this question seems tough to me but after understanding and spending more time than the usual time of attempting each SC question I got this correct. But I was not able to understand choice B completely. Well choice B is not the answer of this question, but I am not able to understand why the usage of “ones” is incorrect? Why “ones” cannot refer to signs?

I read in one of the posts that the usage of “ones” in choice B is incorrect, and it should be “them”, not “ones”.

I understand that “them” is also correct as it is plural that refers to “signs”, but why can’t it be “ones”. This is also plural.

Looking forward to all of your replies.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin.
In A, it could refer to commitment or to course of action. Eliminate A.

In C, it lacks a clear antecedent. The nearest preceding singular noun is trouble, but the desired antecedent is course of action, which is placed too far from it. Eliminate C.

In D, them cannot be used to refer to executives', which is not a noun but an adjective. Eliminate D.

In B, an executive...makes missing signs of incipient trouble...likely does not convey the intended meaning. It is not the EXECUTIVE himself but the COMMITMENT TO A COURSE OF ACTION that is causing the problems discussed in this SC. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is E.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
sachin_yadav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
06 Dec 2010
Posted:
212 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
5
Target GMAT Score:
720
Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In B, an executive...makes missing signs of incipient trouble...likely does not convey the intended meaning. It is not the EXECUTIVE himself but the COMMITMENT TO A COURSE OF ACTION that is causing the problems discussed in this SC. Eliminate B.

Thanks Mitch.

Certainly, the answer is E, and B changes the meaning of the sentence, but what about "ones" in B. Is "ones" incorrect ?

What if there were "ones" in the answer choice E, then the choice E would have been correct ?

Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret ones when they do appear.

Now, I have replaced "them" with "ones". Is this correct ? ("Them" is referring to "signs", so "ones" refers to "signs")

I am confused with "ones". I believe "ones" is plural and can be used if "them" is not mentioned in the sentence. I might be wrong, but if i am wrong, then why i am wrong ?

Why "them", and why not "ones" ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Sachin

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:39 pm
sachin_yadav wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In B, an executive...makes missing signs of incipient trouble...likely does not convey the intended meaning. It is not the EXECUTIVE himself but the COMMITMENT TO A COURSE OF ACTION that is causing the problems discussed in this SC. Eliminate B.

Thanks Mitch.

Certainly, the answer is E, and B changes the meaning of the sentence, but what about "ones" in B. Is "ones" incorrect ?

What if there were "ones" in the answer choice E, then the choice E would have been correct ?

Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret ones when they do appear.

Now, I have replaced "them" with "ones". Is this correct ? ("Them" is referring to "signs", so "ones" refers to "signs")

I am confused with "ones". I believe "ones" is plural and can be used if "them" is not mentioned in the sentence. I might be wrong, but if i am wrong, then why i am wrong ?

Why "them", and why not "ones" ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Sachin
Ones is used to refer to select members of a group:

Please put the clean dishes in the cabinet and the dirty ones in the sink.

In the SC above, ones would imply that the executive is misinterpreting only a few specific signs of incipient trouble; which ONES is he misinterpreting? Since we don't know, ones is inappropriate.

I would be skeptical of an answer choice that uses ones, which seems a bit informal for the GMAT.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
sachin_yadav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
06 Dec 2010
Posted:
212 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
5
Target GMAT Score:
720
Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Ones is used to refer to select members of a group:

Please put the clean dishes in the cabinet and the dirty ones in the sink.

In the SC above, ones would imply that the executive is misinterpreting only a few specific signs of incipient trouble; which ONES is he misinterpreting? Since we don't know, ones is inappropriate.

I would be skeptical of an answer choice that uses ones, which seems a bit informal for the GMAT.
Thanks Mitch and appreciate for your reply. Doubt is now clear.

Regards
Sachin

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Nidhi4mba Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
23 Sep 2011
Posted:
46 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Upvotes:
2
Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 am
Mitch,

I have a doubt with answer E. "Being heavily committed ........" is a modifier & should be modifying the executives or an executive. But this is not the case with E. Can you please elaborate??

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:40 am
Nidhi4mba wrote:
Mitch,

I have a doubt with answer E. "Being heavily committed ........" is a modifier & should be modifying the executives or an executive. But this is not the case with E. Can you please elaborate??

In E, being is not a modifier but a GERUND -- a verb functioning as a noun -- and is the subject of the verb is:

BEING heavily committed...IS likely to make an executive miss signs...

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: Nidhi4mba, estela.barbosa
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Jayanth2689 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Posted:
69 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
2
Target GMAT Score:
700
GMAT Score:
640
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Nidhi4mba wrote:
Mitch,

I have a doubt with answer E. "Being heavily committed ........" is a modifier & should be modifying the executives or an executive. But this is not the case with E. Can you please elaborate??

In E, being is not a modifier but a GERUND -- a verb functioning as a noun -- and is the subject of the verb is:

BEING heavily committed...IS likely to make an executive miss signs...
Hi Mitch, reopening an old thread! Being functions as a Gerund here as u said.. So is Being heavily committed a subject phrase??

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
georgepaul0071987 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
14 Sep 2011
Posted:
81 messages
Upvotes:
2
Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 pm
I'm still not clear on how to eliminate (C) based on the pronoun issue . Can somebody help ?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Jayanth2689 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Posted:
69 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
2
Target GMAT Score:
700
GMAT Score:
640
Post Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:16 am
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
I'm still not clear on how to eliminate (C) based on the pronoun issue . Can somebody help ?
"especially if it has worked well in the past" must modify "course of action". Here it seems to refer to the signs of trouble. Misplaced modifier.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 Roland2rule 181 topics
2 lheiannie07 110 topics
3 ardz24 56 topics
4 LUANDATO 55 topics
5 swerve 51 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

158 posts
2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

124 posts
3 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

123 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

111 posts
5 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

81 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts