Grain Farmers

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Grain Farmers

by komal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:04 am
When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage more aggressive sales of United States farm products overseas.

(A) and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage

(8) and establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain able to be grown by farmers and encouraging

(C) establishing tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are allowed to grow and to encourage

(D) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain capable of being grown by farmers and encouraging

(E) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and to encourage

OA E

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 am
E shows parallelism (to grow & to encourage) along with usage of infinitive (to establish).

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mgmt_gmat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 am
will try to establish is correct idiom here.

will try and establish.. is wrong here.

being form always rejected ..

Hence (E)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by JK. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 pm
komal wrote:When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage more aggressive sales of United States farm products overseas.

(A) and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage

(8) and establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain able to be grown by farmers and encouraging

(C) establishing tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are allowed to grow and to encourage

(D) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain capable of being grown by farmers and encouraging

(E) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and to encourage

OA E
The Official explanation for choice C is "will try establishing doesn't show intent or purpose". I cant see any loss of intent here.
Could somebody clarify ? Please note that i am completely convinced that C is incorrect due to other reasons. Am just trying to understand the loss-of-intent part which might be useful in some other question.

Simplified version- for purposes of discussion

Senators will try establishing restrictions. -- Doesnt show intent according to OG
Senators will try to establish restrictions. -- Correct according to OG

To me, both the sentences convey the same.
A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 am
re opening an old thread.
i have trouble understanding why option C is wrong (apart from the restrictions for - part)
why is try establishing not preferred?
ofcourse to maintain parallelism we do need to establish here, but as the poster above poited out OG says will try establishing does not show intent or purpose...i dnt understand this.
are to+verb forms prefered over the ing ones on GMAT?

anyone?

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 am
rohu27 wrote:re opening an old thread.
i have trouble understanding why option C is wrong (apart from the restrictions for - part)
ofcourse to maintain parallelism we do need to establish here, but as the poster above poited out OG says will try establishing does not show intent or purpose...i dnt understand this.

anyone?
@Rohu

Infinitives represent...that the result was intentional
-ing form represent.....consequence...

Confused??? look at the below examples

Ex1:- Protesters gathered on the road to block traffic.

here the result is "the traffic was blocked"...and its intentional. protesters want to block the traffic thats why they gathered on the road. Intention okay

Ex 2:- Protesters gathered on the road blocking traffic.

here again the final result is "the traffic was blocked"..but try to understand the difference. The protesters only want to gather on the road, they had no intention to block the traffic but since they gathered, in consequence, the traffic get blocked. So happened without intention.

And there is no such thing that infinitives preferred over gerunds or vice versa.

Hope this help

Atul

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:24 am
Thanks for that Atul, but i still have trouble.
in the examples you quoted, the first one protestors main aim was to block traffic.
in the second it was just a consequence. they gathered and as a result traffic was blocked.

but when you look at this sentence,which can be written as
Congress men will try to establish restrictions on X
Congress men will try establishing restrictions on X
both the cases congress men are trying to establish restrictions? correct?
or is it that establishing works as a noun and it suggests as if Congress men will try Y instead they are actually trying to establish *restrcitions*, as the 1st one correctly points out (by use of verb establish).

Cheers,

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 am
Hi Atul,

The examples you coated above are near to a teachings from a professional..

Did you read them anywhere .. if so where?
If they are your own thoughts.. you are ready for verbal

copy pasted to by dB
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Michelle P » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 am
rohu27 wrote:re opening an old thread.

anyone?
If you look up in a dictionary, then you'll find the difference between try to do something and try doing something

- If you try to to something: you attempt to succeed in doing it
- If you try doing something: you do it in order to find out if it is enjoyable or produce the results you want.
(Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English - 5th edition)

Come back to the SC problem: If you use try establishing, you will distort the intended meaning of the sentence.
Some newly elected members will try establishing xxx: this sounds like the members do not put their efforts to establish xxx
Some newly elected members will try to establish xxx: This sentence shows that the members put great efforts to establish xxx

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 am

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 am
HSPA wrote:Hi Atul,

The examples you coated above are near to a teachings from a professional..

Did you read them anywhere .. if so where?
If they are your own thoughts.. you are ready for verbal

copy pasted to by dB
@HSPA

Thanks for the appreciation, m glad it helped you. These examples are my own examples..i mean i know the difference b/w the use of infinitive and -ing, i don't remember actually where are read about them, so just created my own examples to express my thought clearly. I work in the same way as you do, whenever i find some concept expressed by some expert or a friend in this community i absorb that concept.

Thanks
Atul
Last edited by atulmangal on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 am
@Michelle P

Thanks...you explained well

@rohu...i think your doubt is clear now.

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am
atulmangal wrote:@Michelle P

Thanks...you explained well

@rohu...i think your doubt is clear now.
Yes Atul. thanks to evryone. the best thing about this forum is i come in with a doubt but i go out with not only the doubt cleared but also many other things in hand.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:05 pm
Just a minor point to add: When two verbs appear together, the first verb determines if the second verb will be in -ing form or infinitive form (to...).

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to memorize which verbs are followed by -ing form and which are followed by infinitives.

Fortunately, most verbs are followed with Infnitives.

Example: Enjoy, imagine etc. are always followed with -ing forms, while most other verbs are followed with infinitives.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:18 am