GMAT 740(Q50,V40).4 exams over 2.5 yrs.Never, ever give up.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rishank10 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:17 am
Hi Varun,

I have sent you a message. Please reply at the earliest. I have had similar experiences as yours.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by varunshetty_1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:45 pm
harshshah6789 wrote:An inspirational debrief!! Heartiest congratulations :).. Can you share LSAT RC - [email protected]. Thank you!!
Sure i can share it. But its very vast. Cant email it. Can you create a local drive and give me permission? I will upload it for you.

Thanks for reading and your kind comments!

by varunshetty_1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 pm
Heseraj wrote:Hello

Wow, such a long passage. Well, my situation is like you in terms of understanding the GMAT, I trust my gut first and then write the test or apply to B Ss. The more i read and dive into a concept i realize the need of doing more. For two months, CR was what i was working. I bough CR Bible from Power Course and read it. Even though not really thoroughly, i read it and found it worthy of my expense. Having said that, i am a new immigrant to the United States from a very poor province in Afghanistan with very weak, even no, financial health or strength at all. I take on the challenge and am willing to give a go.

If nothing else, my pool of competitors might not be as tough as yours, yet, my credit and work experience is next to zero. (from a very optimistic perspective)

I, like you, realized that the only factor that will definitely distinguish me is the GMAT. my first mock test, (off of Veritas Prep) was 37 out of 100. (Interesting huh)! The mock, however, was heavily geared toward Verbal.

My score for the second mock, heavily great toward quant, was 44 out of 100. The next mock, hopefully, will be tomorrow or next Monday Marhc/21/2016.

I read your list of materials used and the only material that i don't have is LAST last paper. can you, would you, (do me a favor) ,being an expert of finding healthy and handy resources, give me specific addresses of where to go and what to look for, so i wouldn't waste my time trying to figure out everything on my own, pretty much what i have been doing up to now.

I will keep your advice and will not share my story of preparing to write the test until i crack to a 700 or higher.

All the best
Hesamseraj
Hello Hesam(I am guessing that's your first name - if not I apologize!)

First of all it's out of 51, not 100. Some say 60 but I have never seen anyone score 60. Even those who score 800 on the GMAT.

Happy to help you anyway I can! Like I mentioned, the LSATs are quite vast, so if you create a folder on Google drive or something and private message me the same I will be happy to upload it there with any material you may want.

Don't worry too much about the GMAT. Getting anything above 650 will put you in an exceptional position. Buy yes, if possible get some work ex. It will certainly help

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 am
rishank10 wrote:Hi Varun,

I have sent you a message. Please reply at the earliest. I have had similar experiences as yours.
Hey Rishank, I have replied. Please let me know if you received it. For some reason my responses are in the outbox, not sent messages. If you haven't received it let me know.
Last edited by varunshetty_1 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 am
rishank10 wrote:Hi Varun,

Hey Rishank, I have replied. Please let me know if you received it. For some reason my responses are in the outbox, not sent messages. If you haven't received it let know.

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 am
nchaswal wrote:Hi Varun

I am just starting with my prep. I guess reading articles of people who have done it all should be the first thing a person, who has decided to give GMAT, should do.

Really open hearted & step by step detailed inputs. Thank you so much for this. I am sure the more a person reads or knows common pitfalls, the less he will remember not to make them.

Thanks a ton for sharing everything.

Cheers & all the best for your college. Would like to be in touch.

Regards
Nitin
Hey Nitin,

Thank you so much for the good wishes. Sure we can be in touch. Send me a PM with your email ID. I will respond.

Best of luck with your preparation. Hope you picked up some valuable points to score better on the exam!

Varun

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 am
nchaswal wrote:Hi Varun

I am just starting with my prep. I guess reading articles of people who have done it all should be the first thing a person, who has decided to give GMAT, should do.

Really open hearted & step by step detailed inputs. Thank you so much for this. I am sure the more a person reads or knows common pitfalls, the less he will remember not to make them.

Thanks a ton for sharing everything.

Cheers & all the best for your college. Would like to be in touch.

Regards
Nitin
Hey Nitin,

Thank you so much for the good wishes. Sure we can be in touch. Send me a PM with your email ID. I will respond.

Best of luck with your preparation. Hope you picked up some valuable points to score better on the exam!

Varun

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:31 am
Prjwl99 wrote:Hello Varun,

First of all - congrats on beating the gmat.

And thank u for the wonderful long post.

I understand that during the long span of 4 years with gmat experience, u would have much more valid info and points. So I would like to ask you for some advice.

My profile: 710 in gmat (49 q, 40 v)
almost 4 years of IT experience
extra curricular - Event management etc

Though i used a consultants help to fill the applications, i got dinged - all 5 colleges(rankin betwee 12-22).

I am not sure of what went wrong- essays? score ? or R2 timing

Anyway I would like any suggestions from u and also details about the application consultants, who guided u.

Thanks and regards - prjwl

Namma kudla !!
Ha-ha hello prajwal,

I am in kudla as I write this. Happy to meet another son of Mangalore.

Jokes aside. I think round 2 hit you the most. Many guys get into top 20 schools with a 710. Your essays also may not have been good enough too.
4 years of IT should also have helped - it was the perfect experience. Extra curriculars don't count for anything man, people lie so much that the adcoms don't take anything at face value.

Truth be told unless I know your profile better I can't honestly say what went wrong. Do one thing, PM me with your email ID and we can continue the evaluation. Ok? I can then put you in touch with a few folks for admission consulting - how you use them is up to you.

Let me know if that works!

Varun

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:51 am
madhukumar_v wrote:Hearty congratulations Varun. I read the whole debrief and really many thanks for posting it. Thank you again.

I have couple of questions based on your debrief:

1. For private tutoring for Verbal do you have any recommendations. Appreciate your input.
2. What is your view point on using resources to learn Math/Verbal using Grockit, TargetTestPrep etc.,
3. How much LSAT material should we use for GMAT, especially CR/RC?

Please let me know.

Thank you.
Hello Madhukumar,

Thanks for the good wishes. My responses below:

1- Yes I have a recommendation or two. One is my own tutor who I mentioned helped me in the end, another is a very nice lady who only teaches verbal. She works out of her home near ITC Infotech campus. PM me, I will share their info.
2- As someone who has gone through a ton of material for the GMAT (not trying to show off- there's very little GMAT content I haven't at minimum heard about), I am very surprised to hear of "Grockit or TargetTestPrep". My initial reaction is to view them with suspicion - but that would be conjecture. Why don't you start with readily available content that thousands of successful applicants have already used (I've mentioned them too). My opinion - don't use them until you finish your content which I have mentioned. Later on go for it if you have the time.
3 - LSAT is deadly for RC and if possible study most of your time on LSAT for RC. For CR I never used LSAT. Also, it isn't "Critical reasoning", more like "Logical reasoning" in the LSAT - and the tricks aren't the same you use for GMAT. Finish your CR official content before you decide to attach the logical reasoning section.

Hope this helps. PM me, I will give you my tutor(s) info.

Varun

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:10 am
Ishanvs wrote:Varun:Could you share the number of your private tutor
Hi Ishan,

I have responded in PM. Please confirm if your received the same! (for some reason it shows most messages on the Outbox - not sent items)

Varun

by varunshetty_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:51 am
nirnay wrote:Excellent debrief Varun. Congratulations and thank you for taking out time for writing this.

Do you mid sharing your experience for Bschool prep and how you got into the Bschool and which Bschool did you join?

Regards,
Nirnay
Hi Nirnay, @ganith and @bharath

That would probably be another article! Quite a bit done there too. Maybe I shall write the same and provide it in a few days, or give a condensed version!Cool?

B-school, I havent mentioned because for one - I am superstitious, and secondly I don't feel its professional pitching that one school better than the other.

Let me complete my processes, i20, and loans and all the other thing and once everything is done, if someone is interested will be happy to tell them which school!

by nitestr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am
What a great story. Awesome debrief, valuable tips.

Can you dissect and explain on the Tutor part.

a) Which areas he/she helped you ?
b) What was your one or 2 biggest barrier?
c) After you corrected the problem area, can you tell your aha moments?

Feel free to explain in a lengthy detail if needed. Wish you all the best in your journey!!

by ganith » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 am
Varun,

Would be able to share the LSAT RC book - [email protected]

Thanks again!

by varunshetty_1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:47 pm
nitestr wrote:What a great story. Awesome debrief, valuable tips.

Can you dissect and explain on the Tutor part.

a) Which areas he/she helped you ?
b) What was your one or 2 biggest barrier?
c) After you corrected the problem area, can you tell your aha moments?

Feel free to explain in a lengthy detail if needed. Wish you all the best in your journey!!
I'm not sure how you want me to elaborate on the tutor part. Anything specific?

1) Well, my tutor helped me focus on verbal. My verbal had dropped to 32. Especially my RC section which improved with preparation with my tutor. Mainly my tutor gave me an environment (that was critical) that helped me focus on my goals and helped me study during that period for a long period. Sometimes you need that right place and environment - I can't explain it, it's like he helped me put me in a comfort zone ready to take on the exam.
He was also a great sounding board to help pitch ideas and suggestions.

2) & 3)- like I mentioned - my biggest barrier was verbal. My entire foundations for CR and SC was horrible, and getting RC up to speed also was quite hard.
The aha moment was when I realised this was this issue. My basics and verbal in general. When I realised my exam depends on the last 75 minutes. Focussing on that helped me go from a 32 to a 40 in verbal.

Varun

by varunshetty_1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:50 pm
ganith wrote:Varun,

Would be able to share the LSAT RC book - [email protected]

Thanks again!
The content is too vast to send in an email. Please PM me a Google drive location or something with public access and I wil upload it.