• Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors

GMAT 740(Q50,V40).4 exams over 2.5 yrs.Never, ever give up.

This topic has 52 member replies
Goto page Previous
varunshetty_1 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Posted:
24 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Thanked:
19 times
Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm
AshB wrote:
Varun,

Congrats and thanks for sharing your GMAT story! Have to admit, it is very inspirational.

Thinking about your comment on GMAT as the lone criteria, H/S/W have 80% of class between 680 - 760, their range appears to be larger than some others, with some admits in mid 500s. Have you happened to research why? I am certainly positive that there is no Indian profile in the mid 500s. Given the range of middle 80%, mid 500s is low enough that one can almost consider that it might not have carried any weight at all in the app.

Talking to different adcoms and putting together all the information together, I am leaning towards concluding that there are few schools (H/S/W and may be few others) that give consideration to the entire app, while others might look at GMAT first, if not the only one.

Good Luck!
LOL - dude, you're free to believe whoever you want, my points don't change mate. And I think you missed my point. Adcoms want you to believe what they want you to believe, who would tell you anything different? And yes they look at the entire profile - but rest assured the GMAT always comes first unless you have something "google-able" about you that stands out. Especailly for H/S/W.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
varunshetty_1 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Posted:
24 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Thanked:
19 times
Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:52 pm
abhimahna wrote:
Amazing Article Varun ! Really liked each and every word of your article. Very Motivating. I am also hoping to write such a great article soon. Smile

If possible, please share the LSAT RC Material. My Email ID is abhimahna@gmail.com
Hi Abhimana,

Thank you for the kind words. Please PM a drive location. The RC material cannot be sent on the email alone.

Varun

varunshetty_1 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Posted:
24 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Thanked:
19 times
Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:53 pm
akataria wrote:
Congratulations!
These are some crazy insights!! thanks for jotting it down!
Thank you for the kind words!

varunshetty_1 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Posted:
24 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Thanked:
19 times
Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:58 pm
hungle wrote:
thanks for your sharing.
im now struggling with gmat RC. can you share with me LSAT RC material?
My google drive address is 547gmat@gmail.com.
Thanks a lot.
Viet hung
Can you send me a drive location instead? I'll upload it there.

abhimahna Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Posted:
3 messages
Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:35 pm
varunshetty_1 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Amazing Article Varun ! Really liked each and every word of your article. Very Motivating. I am also hoping to write such a great article soon. Smile

If possible, please share the LSAT RC Material. My Email ID is abhimahna@gmail.com
Hi Abhimana,

Thank you for the kind words. Please PM a drive location. The RC material cannot be sent on the email alone.

Varun
Thanks Varun. Sent you a PM Smile

AshB Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
27 Jul 2015
Posted:
7 messages
Thanked:
1 times
Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:56 pm
varunshetty_1 wrote:
AshB wrote:
Varun,

Congrats and thanks for sharing your GMAT story! Have to admit, it is very inspirational.

Thinking about your comment on GMAT as the lone criteria, H/S/W have 80% of class between 680 - 760, their range appears to be larger than some others, with some admits in mid 500s. Have you happened to research why? I am certainly positive that there is no Indian profile in the mid 500s. Given the range of middle 80%, mid 500s is low enough that one can almost consider that it might not have carried any weight at all in the app.

Talking to different adcoms and putting together all the information together, I am leaning towards concluding that there are few schools (H/S/W and may be few others) that give consideration to the entire app, while others might look at GMAT first, if not the only one.

Good Luck!
LOL - dude, you're free to believe whoever you want, my points don't change mate. And I think you missed my point. Adcoms want you to believe what they want you to believe, who would tell you anything different? And yes they look at the entire profile - but rest assured the GMAT always comes first unless you have something "google-able" about you that stands out. Especailly for H/S/W.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
You are right! Adcoms, have targets and end of the day they have to show the numbers! Unfortunately, Full Time MBA turned out to be what it perhaps shouldnt: a big business. Sometimes I wonder if I even want to go the MBA route at all.

What I was trying to do is connect the dots, but nothing to contradict your observations and experiences. Can we draw an inference (just like we do in RC or CR) that all (or Most) those admits that have score below 700 at H/S/W or other top schools are 'google-able' profiles?

varunshetty_1 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
10 Jun 2013
Posted:
24 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Thanked:
19 times
Post Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 pm
AshB wrote:
varunshetty_1 wrote:
AshB wrote:
Varun,

Congrats and thanks for sharing your GMAT story! Have to admit, it is very inspirational.

Thinking about your comment on GMAT as the lone criteria, H/S/W have 80% of class between 680 - 760, their range appears to be larger than some others, with some admits in mid 500s. Have you happened to research why? I am certainly positive that there is no Indian profile in the mid 500s. Given the range of middle 80%, mid 500s is low enough that one can almost consider that it might not have carried any weight at all in the app.

Talking to different adcoms and putting together all the information together, I am leaning towards concluding that there are few schools (H/S/W and may be few others) that give consideration to the entire app, while others might look at GMAT first, if not the only one.

Good Luck!
LOL - dude, you're free to believe whoever you want, my points don't change mate. And I think you missed my point. Adcoms want you to believe what they want you to believe, who would tell you anything different? And yes they look at the entire profile - but rest assured the GMAT always comes first unless you have something "google-able" about you that stands out. Especailly for H/S/W.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
You are right! Adcoms, have targets and end of the day they have to show the numbers! Unfortunately, Full Time MBA turned out to be what it perhaps shouldnt: a big business. Sometimes I wonder if I even want to go the MBA route at all.

What I was trying to do is connect the dots, but nothing to contradict your observations and experiences. Can we draw an inference (just like we do in RC or CR) that all (or Most) those admits that have score below 700 at H/S/W or other top schools are 'google-able' profiles?
Easily make that Inference. I think even schools like Kelly have an average for 720 for Indians(maybe 730). So yeah, even if you get into H/S/W unless you're Maria Sharapova - don't expect an easy GMAT route. Even in my school we have guys who've raised millions in funding for their companies and still have scored above 700, so I can't imagine how hard it is in H/S/W.

GMAT4321 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
20 Jun 2015
Posted:
3 messages
Post Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:50 am
Nice write up. You need to be a bit careful around certain aspects of your advice, however. As someone who has been through a similar journey, I found getting a tutor a hindrance to my efforts. EVERYONE is different and one of the mistakes I made was listening to others constantly telling me I needed a tutor to improve. I know myself better than anyone else does - I know what makes me tick and what makes me absorb information best. No tutor can even come close to this. Once I stopped listening to others and spent time PRODUCTIVELY studying (even if I had to spend 2 hours understanding a single question), things started to fall into place. Achieving that AH-HA moment when you figure out a problem by yourself is likely to give you a much deeper understanding of that topic area than if a tutor simply tells you what you're missing. So to anyone reading this, get a tutor if you feel it is right for you! Not just because other people say so.

The other point I have to agree with is the emphasis on standardized scores. It absolutely makes my blood boil when I hear people mention that applications are looked at holistically. What an utter load of nonsense! I hear it over and over again, but evidence continually points toward the GMAT as the single most important factor affecting someone's entrance into Bschool. Why members of admissions teams have to keep bending the truth about this matter is getting laughable. Over and above, your standardised score is what counts. Unfortunately however, what this means is that you get some not-so-well-rounded people gaining admission into the best business schools. Few achievements, unprepossessing work experience, embellished extracurriculars... but a good GMAT score? You're in!

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 61 topics
3 Roland2rule 61 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 VJesus12 14 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

102 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

99 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

86 posts
5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

80 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts