BTG Practice Questions - Expert Help

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

BTG Practice Questions - Expert Help

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 pm
A recent series of newspaper articles revealed that passengers who file fictitious injury claims against public transportation entities have become a serious menace to metropolitan areas and add a huge monetary burden to the city's budget. The fraudulent plaintiffs in these law cases are often backed by personal injury attorneys and less than scrupulous medical doctors who conspire to defraud by feigning injuries, fabricating medical reports, and exaggerating legal complaints arising from alleged bus and train (mostly slip-and-fall) accidents.

City Attorney: "Those who look to the public trough as a means to ameliorate their economic burdens which they suffer not at all from the hands of the government should not be appeased. Who pays for the monetary judgements doled out to these fakes? You do!"

Mayor: "The honest fare payers and dutiful taxpayers are 'rewarded' by increased fares and higher taxes."
The quote by the city attorney in the second paragraph probably serves to address
A-fraud as a menace that hampers city dwellers' every day lives
B- activities of a depraved few who see public transit as a way to fund their marginal existence
C- economic burdens disproportionately placed on the virtuous instead of on the callous and selfish
D- the enormous economic interdependency between public transit and the community it serves
E- passengers who suffer actual injuries on public transit
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:36 pm
Can Someone pls Help with this Problem. I find the City Attorneys statement very vague and unclear .

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nikeboy2008 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 pm
The attorney says that it is tax payer's money going back to the tax payers when they fake injuries and seek compensation

hence IMO D

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:21 am
nikeboy2008 wrote:The attorney says that it is tax payer's money going back to the tax payers when they fake injuries and seek compensation

hence IMO D
D is Incoorect

by harsh80 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 am

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 am
A is incorrect . Guys pls post ur reasoning along with ur first answers
OA is C . Pls dont modify ur reasoning to fit ur answer wityh the OA

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 am
mundasingh123 wrote:City Attorney: "Those who look to the public trough as a means to ameliorate their economic burdens which they suffer not at all from the hands of the government should not be appeased. Who pays for the monetary judgements doled out to these fakes? You do!"
Basically the Attorney is saying the following:

People who try to "get rich quick" by taking public/government money when the public doesn't owe them anything should be stopped. In the end, all of "us" (non-fakes) have to pay for these fakes.

This might make it a bit easier to understand the correct answer :)

Hope this helps!
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by saurabh_maths » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:58 pm
I was confused with C & D. And I chose D.

C didn't look ok to me as it suggests that additional burden was put only on the true people instead of fake ones.
But the city attorney says that burden comes on entire community. He never specifies that burden comes only on true ppl.

D shows the ecomnomic interdependency is betwen entire commnity and public transportation.

So I didnt understood propely how come C can be correct ?? Pls explain ...

by smayekar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 pm
Tough between B and C

I chose C as it reflects everything what attorney says by quoting "Who pays for the monetary judgements doled out to these fakes? You do!"

Others eliminated

A - everyday lives . Irrelevant
D - economic interdependency . Irrelevant
E - no base .

GMAT Score:710

by mk101 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:11 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:A recent series of newspaper articles revealed that passengers who file fictitious injury claims against public transportation entities have become a serious menace to metropolitan areas and add a huge monetary burden to the city's budget. The fraudulent plaintiffs in these law cases are often backed by personal injury attorneys and less than scrupulous medical doctors who conspire to defraud by feigning injuries, fabricating medical reports, and exaggerating legal complaints arising from alleged bus and train (mostly slip-and-fall) accidents.

City Attorney: "Those who look to the public trough as a means to ameliorate their economic burdens which they suffer not at all from the hands of the government should not be appeased. Who pays for the monetary judgements doled out to these fakes? You do!"

Mayor: "The honest fare payers and dutiful taxpayers are 'rewarded' by increased fares and higher taxes."
The quote by the city attorney in the second paragraph probably serves to address
A-fraud as a menace that hampers city dwellers' every day lives
B- activities of a depraved few who see public transit as a way to fund their marginal existence
C- economic burdens disproportionately placed on the virtuous instead of on the callous and selfish
D- the enormous economic interdependency between public transit and the community it serves
E- passengers who suffer actual injuries on public transit
C Vs D

look at the sentences highlighted above, these two sentences indicate C and eliminate D. The sum and substance of this argument is not to show the interdependence between public transit and the community it serves but to show how misdeeds of one section burden the other.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by badpoem » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 am
Tough one. Chose D. virtuous v/s callous/selfish seemed pretty strong language to me.

by tgou008 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 pm
badpoem wrote:Tough one. Chose D. virtuous v/s callous/selfish seemed pretty strong language to me.
I agree; I also though the language in D was a bit too extreme. 'Callous / selfish' certainly seem to be a step further than "fake" (which the Attorney uses).
Also, I'm not sure about "virtuous" just because the non-fakes don't file fictious claims doesn't mean they're virutous individuals.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by ankurmit » Mon May 23, 2011 2:48 am
IMO C

- economic burdens disproportionately placed on the virtuous instead of on the callous and selfish.

This means that when govt pays fictitious injury claims, govt just burdens the countrymen disproportionately because the money paid against these fake claims is paid by citizens in form of tax.

You can better understand it this way.

Corrupt politicians are looting us. How?

Its the money paid by the honest tax payers.
--------
Ankur mittal

by MM_Ed » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:00 pm
In my opinion, C.

The Attorney says that we mustn't allow fakes to steal from public money, because then it's effectively stealing from a pot that everyone has paid taxes to fill. Now, it might be that the fakes have paid taxes too, but they're also stealing far more than they put in, while the honest people are putting money in without taking anything out. So it is honest people who are being burdened by this fraud.
If you found one of my answers useful, hit the shiny Thanks button! : )

GMAT Score:680

by DhruvXVII » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:41 am
What is wrong with option B?

Experts please help.