Bombed the GMAT - 460 (Q 24) (V30) AWA -6.0 - Help Please

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by D Terman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 pm
Hi Everyone!

Its D Terman here again and I'm only 4 days away from GMAT round #3... (Taking on 8/18/2008 @ 8:00AM - People have told me that this is a lucky date and time and that my stars are in alignment and at this point I'll take any help I can get).

I've taken this whole week off of work and have been taking one practice test (800 score) each morning and reviewing it in detail in the afternoon and then in the evenings I'm working out, resting, and going over notes/flash cards... Any additional advice you have for me ?...

For all those wondering about the 800 score tests I think they are fairly reflective of the real deal and my scores show that, but I read alot of posts and many are saying that they are tougher than the real deal... I hope that this holds true and I blow the real GMAt out of the water.

800Score Cat 1 (Quant Only) - 31
800Score Cat 2 (Quant Only) - 37
800Score Cat 3 Q30, V41 - 590
800Score Cat 4 Q35, V39 - 600
800Score Cat 5 Q38, V27 - 540, Verbal is a fluke.

Also, I did end up shelling out $630 for the two day Veritas Quang Focus Class and eventhough I don't think I learned a ton of new things I did pick up a few tricks, gained a ton of confidence as I realized mid way through the class... "I know this stuff and there is no reason why I can not and will not do better", and got access to some great material... VERTIAS' books are great and signing up for any of their courses gives you access to 15 tests eventhough I don't like the VERITAS PREP tests too much... Took one yesterday and the breakout was Q48, V24 - 600... I thought the Math was super easy and the Verbal was super hard.

Thanks again to everyone and their support!

D Terman
Last edited by D Terman on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jiujitsubri » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 pm
Goodluck on the 18th, looking forward to reading your success story. Seems like you got this one in the bag this time, and finally realizing you have the confidence in all your preperation.

by D Terman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:55 pm
D Terman wrote:Hi Everyone!

Its D Terman here again and I'm only 4 days away from GMAT round #3... (Taking on 8/18/2008 @ 8:00AM - People have told me that this is a lucky date and time and that my stars are in alignment and at this point I'll take any help I can get).

I've taken this whole week off of work and have been taking one practice test (800 score) each morning and reviewing it in detail in the afternoon and then in the evenings I'm working out, resting, and going over notes/flash cards... Any additional advice you have for me ?...

For all those wondering about the 800 score tests I think they are fairly reflective of the real deal and my scores show that, but I read alot of posts and many are saying that they are tougher than the real deal... I hope that this holds true and I blow the real GMAt out of the water.

800Score Cat 1 (Quant Only) - 31
800Score Cat 2 (Quant Only) - 37
800Score Cat 3 Q30, V41 - 590
800Score Cat 4 Q35, V39 - 600
800Score Cat 5 Q38, V27 - 540, I'm assuming Verbal is a fluke.

Also, I did end up shelling out $630 for the two day Veritas Quang Focus Class and eventhough I don't think I learned a ton of new things I did pick up a few tricks, gained a ton of confidence as I realized mid way through the class... "I know this stuff and there is no reason why I can not and will not do better", and got access to some great material... VERTIAS' books are great and signing up for any of their courses gives you access to 15 tests eventhough I don't like the VERITAS PREP tests too much... Took one yesterday and the breakout was Q48, V24 - 600... I thought the Math was super easy and the Verbal was super hard.

Thanks again to everyone and their support!

D Terman

Followed by:1 members

by humbled4real » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 am
D Terman,

Well with a G-day tomorrow I hope you are relaxing and doing something fun today. I will be taking my 3rd attempt tomorrow (2pm, NYC) as well and feel very confident that I will achieve my goal. You have been so positive thus far and I say as long as you maintain that attitude until the moment you hit "see score", then you've got this in the bag. . .

Good Luck tomorrow! You're going to do GRRRRRReat!

:D

Hi Everyone,

D Terman here... So after all was said and done I scored a 640(Q36, V41)... I was really aimining for a 650+, but I will not take the exam for a 4th time. 460 to 640 is all I got.

Wish I could have scored higher, but glad that its over. Now, hopefully my work experience (5 years as Financial Analyst in Energy Industry including year long stint in South America), GPA (3.7 from top CA school), and essays will carry me the rest of the way.

D Terman

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Henry BB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:59 am
Hi All,

I took my GMAT today.... And guess what, D-Terman... I'm repeating your history... my score is 460.... I know, I SUCK!!!! Maaaaan, I am shattered...!! :cry:

Well, I m planning to take it again after 3 months... But just wondering if I will be late for the fall 2009 admission by then. Do I still hold a chance for the next year's admission or is it going to be fall 2010 for me? If I know for sure its 2010 for me, then I would rather give myself more time and preparation for my second attempt. I seek your suggestions and advices.... If you guys think I can still go ahead, give my second shot in Nov and still apply for fall next year, please let me know. I need to book my dates.

Thanks in advance.

- HENRY

by D Terman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm
Henry BB,

I know you feel terrible right now, but its not the worse thing in the world that could happen and you WILL do better. Before I answer your question I'd ask how many years of work experience you have.... I have four this year and would be going into MBA school with 5 and I believe that is what most of the top B-schools are looking for... Therefore, if you less than 5 and feel like you need alot of time to prepare for GMAT round 2 then I'd say take your time and apply for Fall 2010. If you have a pressing reason to apply for next year then I would say dedicate yourself and do well now.... Also, if you read some forums alot of people are saying that there is little difference in applying in round 1 or 2.

Finally, as a last piece of advice I would tell you to do two things 1) relax, do something fun and do not think about GMAT for atleast two weeks... Like a runner that has just finished a Marathon you're body and mind needs to relax...

2) When you are ready to get started studying again sit down and really think about what went wrong this time, was it not enough time to study, not the right materials, etc.... then right down a plan of how you are going to improve and put it in the front of a clear binder and use that binder to organize your stuff... Look it each time you're feeling down and as a reminder of what are the key areas you need to work on... You friends and family will most likely make fun of you for doing this, but this a way to use the anger, depression, and heartache you feel now as inspiriation for the next round!

I hope this helps and all the best to you!

D Terman

by jiujitsubri » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:54 pm
congrats, youre an inspiration to us studiers.

Can you share if you used kaplan for the basics before studying og11. What would you recommend to a person weak in grammer and math and scored low 400's on a first prep exam with zero studying. Where would you begin if you were that guy.

Also. You mentioned financial analyst in Energy industry. What type of work does that entail? Do you do planning or care to explain your typical day to day.

Thanks for sharing

again congrates!

Hi D Terman,

Well, the least i can say is, great job done, and i am sure many on this forum will be inspired by your story. One thing i am sure about is that you would get what you want coz ur determination will take you places.

Wish you all the very best in your endeavours.
D Terman wrote:Hi Everyone,

D Terman here... So after all was said and done I scored a 640(Q36, V41)... I was really aimining for a 650+, but I will not take the exam for a 4th time. 460 to 640 is all I got.

Wish I could have scored higher, but glad that its over. Now, hopefully my work experience (5 years as Financial Analyst in Energy Industry including year long stint in South America), GPA (3.7 from top CA school), and essays will carry me the rest of the way.

D Terman

by Henry BB » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:49 pm
D-Terman,

Before everything, Thanks a lot for the reply. I glad to know that i m not the only guy to go through this trauma. I know there must be many more disappointed souls like me who look up these forums and threads for inspirational word from people like you. Thanks again.

How I bombed in GMAT: One thing, I m not a native English speaker. But, I m not bad at it though. Always enjoyed reading, writing and talkin in English, except for that Verbal section (will come back to that later... wonder from which bloody encyclopedia or PhD papers these passages are picked up). Coming back to my GMAT, first was AWA. It went well. Got a couple of easy topics to ramble on. Then it was QT. It was okay initially. After a while, little while, I started getting all these 'if this is an integer, is this greater or lesser than that' kinda questions and most of them were DS. (by the way, let me ask you, which is the best book for these type of questions. Want to practice more of those.) QT went alright. Somehow managed it though it wasn't to my expectations.

Next came the big hurdle. The Verbal. I am good with SC. But, RC and CR are my doors to disasters. Especially RC. They didn’t make it any easier for me in the test. While I was half way through, I started to get that sinking feeling. Kinda knew even before I saw the score that my test was not going in the track I wanted it to. RC is so borin! I guess I must adapt your method to forcefully develop the interest while readin them and as you said, must get out and buy that mother f-ing bird soon, if it was a write up on birds.

Well, I m determined now. Not gonna let GMAT beat me, instead its gonna be the other way round.

Answering your question on my experience....I have 2 plus years of experiance till date. I know it’s not much. I was hoping if I get in by fall 2009 I will have 3 years by then. The only pressing reason is I m not growing any younger. I m 26 already. If I join by 2010, I will be 28 and by the end of 2 years of MBA, I will be kick starting my 30s. I do want to write it in Nov. But if my preparation isn't good enough, I don't want to hurry up. If its 2010 for me, so be it! But just wondering, what’s the major difference in round 1 and 2?

Well, this weekend, I'm just gonna chill out with friends...catch a movie or something...and then later prepare a plan for GMAT PART 2.

Cheers,
HENRY
D Terman wrote:Henry BB,

I know you feel terrible right now, but its not the worse thing in the world that could happen and you WILL do better. Before I answer your question I'd ask how many years of work experience you have.... I have four this year and would be going into MBA school with 5 and I believe that is what most of the top B-schools are looking for... Therefore, if you less than 5 and feel like you need alot of time to prepare for GMAT round 2 then I'd say take your time and apply for Fall 2010. If you have a pressing reason to apply for next year then I would say dedicate yourself and do well now.... Also, if you read some forums alot of people are saying that there is little difference in applying in round 1 or 2.

Finally, as a last piece of advice I would tell you to do two things 1) relax, do something fun and do not think about GMAT for atleast two weeks... Like a runner that has just finished a Marathon you're body and mind needs to relax...

2) When you are ready to get started studying again sit down and really think about what went wrong this time, was it not enough time to study, not the right materials, etc.... then right down a plan of how you are going to improve and put it in the front of a clear binder and use that binder to organize your stuff... Look it each time you're feeling down and as a reminder of what are the key areas you need to work on... You friends and family will most likely make fun of you for doing this, but this a way to use the anger, depression, and heartache you feel now as inspiriation for the next round!

I hope this helps and all the best to you!

D Terman

Hello D-Terman;
I just want to congratulate for the fantastic score. You know that I have been following your progress and as I told you once I really admire your improvement of 200 points….. Your story is the proof that is possible to do it much better…Right guidance, smart study hard work and lot of perseverance……those are the keys….. I hope to write soon my successful story…I am willing to achieve the same improvement you had of 200 points and I know I will obtain it.
Best luck in the future with your application.

Persist, Insist, Resist and never Desist.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/defeated-bom ... 13993.html

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm
Hi D Terman,

I teach our weekend quant course pretty frequently, so let me know if you have any questions about what to expect. Basically, it would probably help you quite a bit as long as you're coming in with a decent foundation in basic (arithmetic and easy algebra) math. Based on your most recent GMAT score, it sounds like the groundwork is there, so I think you're a good candidate for the quant weekend. It's an intense class but you'd learn a lot.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

No regrets.... Going for my 4th GMAT attempt

by D Terman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:54 pm
Hi Everyone,

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I've just signed up for my 4th GMAT attempt on September 18th... This time around I'm not going to take any time off of work to study, nor am I can going to stress about it, I'm going to go in there cool and calm as I can be and take the test focused, but relaxed... I let my nerves get to me last time and I just know I can do better. I'm not having my scores sent to any schools so hopefully that will further reduce the pressure.

Wish me luck everyone!

D Terman

Aiming... To not have any regrets about the GMAT and that the 4th time will be the charmer...

by Steve » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:10 am
Hey D Thurman, I just read through this thread, and I can say you're a great source of encouragement. I took the GMAT for my first time today and got a 540. I didn't realize how bad the score was until I got home and looked up average scores for decent schools. :(

So I'm ready to follow your lead and devote some serious time and effort to improving my score if at all possible. Not sure I can pull off a 200 point increase, but if I can get your 640 I'll be happy! The only downside is that submitting a score in October would be too late for most b-school applications it seems. Also, do you think giving yourself one month is enough to significantly increase scores?

Your apprentice,
Steve

by D Terman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:01 am
Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the nice gesture, I'm glad that my story can be an encouragement to others. First off I'd like to remind you that 540 is not a bad score to start off with... I got a 460 the first time and was devastated, but you can't let a score deter you from your goals. At the end of the day, the GMAT is just one criteria from B-School Admissions.

Now submitting your scores in October would be a little late from some first round applications, but I've been told from many people that there is little difference with applying between 1st and 2nd round. Also, I would check with your schools to see what their policy is. Some will look at your application, but will not make a decision until you submit your last and final GMAT score. I plan to stagger my applications between 1st and 2nd round... Submit in R1 for those schools I think I have a solid shot with a 640 and wait to see results of my last GMAT to apply in R2 for my reach schools.

For your last question... I would not recommend only taking one more to study for your next GMAT. The GMAT exam covers a broad range of topics and you really need to take the time and effort to practice in order to improve your score. For me however, I've taken this darn thing 3 times already so I think I already have the knowledge and just need to go into calm and relaxed as I was quite nervous last time... Being nervous made me rush through some problems and thus when I caught up with the clock was only dealing with some simple Quant problems and this totally through me off... The thought that I hadn't done well was with me throughout the Verbal section so even though I did well there I know I could have done better.

I hope this helps and I wish everyone the best!

D Terman