Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep

Best Practice Tests?

This topic has 64 expert replies and 222 member replies
Goto page Previous Next

Which company makes the best GMAT practice tests (excluding GMATPrep)?

Princeton Review

11% (227 votes)
Kaplan

23% (475 votes)
Manhattan GMAT

60% (1202 votes)
Veritas Prep

2% (40 votes)
Other? (Please let us know)

1% (37 votes)
II Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
400 messages
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:37 pm
Hi All,
I have just started my preparation for the GMAT which I plan to take in Feb 08.
Firstly I am focussing on brushing up my knowledge on all the basics ... currently going through the "Cracking the GMAT" book by Kaplan.
My plan is to take a practice test to get an indication on the score I am likely to achieve as well as an idea of where my weakest points are, so that I can structure and plan my studies going forward.
My concern is around the various numbers of practice tests out there (Princeton, Kaplan, Manhattan, etc), and the same people taking tests from different providers, but getting very different scores.
It appears that the best indication is obtained from taking the GMATPrep test which has been created by GMAC using real questions from previous tests.
Is this correct ? Any thoughts on this.

I just want to avoid taking tests where the scores dont give an accurate indication of my scoring potential on the real GMAT.

Thanks in advance.
Best.
II

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Stacey Koprince GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2228 messages
Followed by:
680 members
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:56 pm
It is absolutely the case that GMATPrep is the most like the actual test. Unfortunately, you only get two "clean" tests; after that, you can see questions you've already seen before. Overall, it's a good idea to take about 4-5 tests throughout your study period.

The official GMAT has a standard deviation of about 30 points. GMATPrep's standard deviation hasn't been published, but it is probably close to but not quite as good (the algorithm is the same, but the question pool is substantially smaller), so let's call that 40 points.

Our (ManhattanGMAT's) practice tests have a standard deviation of about 50 points - not as good as the real thing, obviously, but close. (This is calculated by gathering our students' results on the official test and matching those results to the students' results on their individual practice tests.) I'm not aware of any other companies that have posted standard deviations for their tests - you could check their web sites or call to see.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
heudorferk Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
10 messages
Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:09 pm
II--
I think you raise an interesting point though: should GMAT test takers use a practice test as a diagnosis or a prognosis?

I posit that there's little value in trying to it as a prognosis (a forecast of your eventual outcome on the real GMAT). No forecast is going to be entirely accurate; even if it were, what good does that do you? If anything, it might tempt you to rest on your laurels or stress out unnecessarily. Presumably, if you're serious about the GMAT, you're going to spend as much time as possible preparin.

Instead, you should use your practice tests to diagnose the areas in which you need the most review. Use them to identify your strengths and weaknesses and plan your studying accordingly.

Good luck on the GMAT!

mukul Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
26 messages
Followed by:
8 members
Test Date:
30th Oct 2006
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 pm
kaplan is best!! scores are lower...but who cares...the test is gud...i wud simply aim for an avg score of 650 on the tests!!

To see my score on kaplan follow my blog link!

aim-wsc Legendary Member
Posted:
2470 messages
Followed by:
14 members
Target GMAT Score:
801-
Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:16 pm
mukul wrote:
kaplan is best!! scores are lower...but who cares...the test is gud...i wud simply aim for an avg score of 650 on the tests!!

To see my score on kaplan follow my blog link!
so glad to see you back, Mukul! Smile

nadontheway Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
88 messages
Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:44 am
Hey Guys,

where can i get the free full practice test for Princeton and Power Prep? Can't find them.... Confused

jimmy23 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
32 messages
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:53 pm
I am new and having much information please reply me which one is best.

luckybrandy Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages
Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:17 am
I have two quick questions:

First, I was wondering if the Manhattan Computer Adaptive Practice Exams http://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitemshow.cfm?ItemID=81&catid=4, was the practice test be referred to in this poll???

Second, I noticed that the site states that you get the same 6 exams for free if you purchase any one of the Manhattan study guides. Does anyone know if you still get one year unlimited access to these exams if you get them with the purchase of a guide, as opposed to purchased separately?

Thank you in advance Very Happy

Leonard C Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
28 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 am
I think we should define what we mean by "best". I think if you mean which test will give you a good idea of what score you will get, then in my view it is MGMAT.

However, if by "best" you mean which test has questions which are comparable to the actual GMAT, then I would say Kaplan. I love the MGMAT Sentence Correction book but I did not think much of their test. Their verbal test is good, but their quant test is not very good in my opinion. Questions were too verbose, big focus on combinatorics (which the actual GMAT doesn't focus on), and computationally longer.

robk100 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
15 messages
Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:29 am
I've been scoring very consistently on the Kaplan practice tests so it's scary because I'm not seeing improvement. Always a high score in math and a relatively low score in verbal. Do you guys think Kaplan underestimates the verbal score, math score, or both? Is the verbal a lot harder on Kaplan than on the real GMAT? I hope so..... let me know what you guys think.

dubc1982 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
84 messages
Test Date:
August 2008
Target GMAT Score:
Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:01 pm
When you say Manhattan GMAT, which company is it because I've seen two? There's one with blue covered books and one with red covered books.

mansihp Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:16 am
hey,
i've tried Kaplan n Princeton and i found Kaplan q's were slightly tougher...can someone provide me with Manhattan tests please...i tried searching it online but in vain...i m planning to write my test in July 1st week..probably 1st July

mim3 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
58 messages
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Sun May 11, 2008 12:24 pm
beatthegmat wrote:
I'm very interested in seeing the public opinion...
I might be a little late for this string of posts, but I logged on to search what others thought about the various practice tests. I've been averaging about a 690 on MGMAT, just took the first GMATPrep last week and scored a 710, which I was excited about. However... just now finished a Kaplan exam and scored a 580!!! I'm not putting too much stock into that, but that's quite a difference. Sounds like others have had similar experiences with Kaplan.

jmaynardj Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
11 messages
Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 am
I voted other. I have only experienced the Kaplan and the MBA.com tests and taking the MBA.com test felt like more what an adaptive test would feel like. Does anybody know if the online test that Kaplan gives free with the book is adaptive. It certainly did not feel that way as the questions did not get harder, but varied from hard to easy with each question.

Taking the mba.com test last night I thought I was doing terribly. In fact I ended up getting 25 wrong on the test, which is 15 more than I had gotten wrong on the Kaplan written or online test. But I scored a 700 which was higher than I scored on the Kaplan tests.

Does anybody know if the Princeton or the Manhattan tests are adaptive and good reflections of the actual test? I am at the point where just doing problems is important, but I want to get the real feel of the test and feel that stress that I will feel on test day.

Thanks.

chet steadman Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
33 messages
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:25 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:
We have done extensive testing of our algorithm (using our students' real scores on the official test) and our current standard deviation on our test is in the low 50s (compared to about 30 for the official test). This doesn't mean that the test is that accurate for everyone, of course, but overall, the algorithm output is fairly close to that of the official test.
SD only tests distance to the mean, though. Do you know whether the results are generally skewed positively?

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 62 topics
3 swerve 62 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 58 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

172 posts
2 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

154 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

131 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

127 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

125 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts