Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep

Best Practice Tests?

This topic has 64 expert replies and 222 member replies
Goto page Previous Next

Which company makes the best GMAT practice tests (excluding GMATPrep)?

Princeton Review

11% (227 votes)
Kaplan

23% (475 votes)
Manhattan GMAT

60% (1202 votes)
Veritas Prep

2% (40 votes)
Other? (Please let us know)

1% (37 votes)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:20 pm
Anonymous wrote:
I'm happy to hear that but it's very frustrating because I have no way of really effectively measuring my progress. I could be that my strategy is not good and that I should change my way of studying but I have no way of knowing this because Kaplan gives no real indicator of your real GMAT score.

Any suggestions on how to know if you're making any progress?

By the way, excellent forum, full of very usable stuff !!
One way to see your progress is to benchmark against the same practice tests. For example, if you start out with a certain score in your first Kaplan test and find improvement with each subsequent Kaplan practice test, then you are definitely improving.

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
avak Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:46 pm
I just had a very dissapointing GMAT session getting a 680 on the actual test. That said, every Kaplan I took gave me ~580 and the GMATPrep tests gave me 710-740. I would say that the Kaplan test has fairly terrible verbal questions. The math seems more accurate although harder than the real thing. I would use Kaplan as practice but its not an accurate predictor of your score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Stacey Koprince GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2228 messages
Followed by:
678 members
GMAT Score:
Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:43 pm
680 is a great score - that's in the high 80s for percentile! Most people don't score anywhere near that well (by definition, actually - I'm not just saying that). Don't come down on yourself so hard! Smile

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:32 am
I really prefer the Kaplan materials. I know that other people seem to think it's a bad thing that their tests are hard, but I really like it. It makes me feel like I'll be able to handle whatever gets thrown at me when I take the real exam.

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:55 pm
great post. I have been using Kaplan and consistently get below 600. these posts are a fresh of breath air!

wongee Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
76 messages
Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:36 pm
Mine is a total contradiction to what many have posted here regarding Kaplan tests. I actually took the Kaplan classes last year and was scoring 640 at a minimum, and my highest being 680. I did not touch the 700 mark although that was the score i was aiming for.

I tried not to think too much about the fact that people said to add approx. 50 -60 points to your kaplan score. Anyways, the point is if it is true that we shouldnt go by Kaplan, i sure shouldn't have, didn't know at that time. I failed miserably at the read Gmat, so bad that i couldn't believe it was me. it has taken me a while to come back to studying again, and it was clearly a day gone wrong the last time around.

I am trying to pick up the pieces and remove the wall i built around the gmat exam. it hasnt been easy....but i hope to persevere. Any help will be very very appreciated.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:06 pm
Hey All ,

I have been going progressively lower from 630 - 510 on 4 of the MGMAT test . I took 3 weeks off after test # 3 to revise the material and had my worst test ever. On Pearsons had a 680 . nearly 8 weeks back .

I for some reason feel the Manhattan GMAT Quant section is very wordy - may be simple problems but in 3 mins the problem is over shadowed by the complexity in the way its arranged. Any thoughts or is it just me ?

tandoor Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages
Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:43 pm
What do you guys think about the 9 mba.com paper tests. I was planning to do those in my last week. 2 weeks to go.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:35 pm
tandoor wrote:
What do you guys think about the 9 mba.com paper tests. I was planning to do those in my last week. 2 weeks to go.
Might be worthwhile practice, but it's not the same--these paper tests do not simulate the CAT nature of the GMAT...

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 am
beatthegmat wrote:
Wow, so far Kaplan seems to be winning--not what I had expected...
People say that the powerprep tests are the closest simulation to the real gmat test....but the pracitse tests there have Q's taken direclty from OG....anyone who reads the OG can ans them v easily......
so just wanted to know if the practise tests of the powerprep are
good enuf.....pls reply

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:05 pm
prads1899 wrote:
beatthegmat wrote:
Wow, so far Kaplan seems to be winning--not what I had expected...
People say that the powerprep tests are the closest simulation to the real gmat test....but the pracitse tests there have Q's taken direclty from OG....anyone who reads the OG can ans them v easily......
so just wanted to know if the practise tests of the powerprep are
good enuf.....pls reply
PowerPrep has been replaced by GMATPrep in 2006. There shouldn't be any overlap between GMATPrep and OG11 now...

sujitmgmat Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
12 messages
Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:11 am
I am preparing for the exam and I need to give several mock exams. I was going through the available resources for such exams. Does anyone have any information on the costs of these mock exams? How about Crack the GMAT? You get 5 exams for $20. For $40 you get 6 exams at Mahattan GMAT. GMATPrep comes with GMAT exam registration. Kaplan seems to be very expensive. 5 exams cost $600. Similarly at Princetonreview.com you need to spend $600 for 5 exams and $100 for 2.

Any suggestions as to which are the best in terms of representing real GMAT as well as are cost effective? For example, no one mentioned of Crack the GMAT. Is it because the exams are very easy and don't reflect the real GMAT?

Your inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanked by: theresegold

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:12 pm
sujitmgmat wrote:
I am preparing for the exam and I need to give several mock exams. I was going through the available resources for such exams. Does anyone have any information on the costs of these mock exams? How about Crack the GMAT? You get 5 exams for $20. For $40 you get 6 exams at Mahattan GMAT. GMATPrep comes with GMAT exam registration. Kaplan seems to be very expensive. 5 exams cost $600. Similarly at Princetonreview.com you need to spend $600 for 5 exams and $100 for 2.

Any suggestions as to which are the best in terms of representing real GMAT as well as are cost effective? For example, no one mentioned of Crack the GMAT. Is it because the exams are very easy and don't reflect the real GMAT?

Your inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks
I think you are best served by GMATPrep, Manhattan GMAT, Kaplan, and Princeton Review - in that order.

I actually liked the PR tests, but they did feel a bit too easy.

Thanked by: sujitmgmat, landroni, parul9
Days Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:43 am
I'm using the GMAT Review by GMAC - I'm not sure if it goes by any other title here.

It's serving me quite well at the moment. Each section starts with fundamental questions and the difficulty level builds up as you work through the questions.

I've bought the Kaplan too, but the style of questions seems to differ a little from the GMAT Review. Since that the GMAT Review uses past year questions from GMAT tests, I'm using it as my main book for study, and then Kaplan if I need additional practice.

Like many in this forum, I'm pondering if the questions are reflective of the difficulty level in a real GMAT. All will be revealed in 2 weeks time!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Stacey Koprince GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2228 messages
Followed by:
678 members
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:47 am
Questions in the OG (that's the Official Guide for GMAT Review) are representative of all of the questions in the database for the GMAT. People primarily see questions clustered around their own individual ability levels, however. So you won't see the full range of questions you see in the OG - mostly, your questions will be a little below to a little above your level.

This has the effect of making the test feel hard for EVERYone. Even the best testers won't have a bunch of easy (for them) questions (as they would on a static paper-and-pencil test).

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 61 topics
3 Roland2rule 54 topics
4 ardz24 44 topics
5 VJesus12 14 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

155 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

105 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

101 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

82 posts
5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

80 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts